Terrain and You! Or: Why is Master X OP?

Mister Shine

I'd modify that to 1/4 blocking (buildings) 1/4 Difficult, 1/4 Obscuring, and 1/4 scatter(low walls, barrels, bushes, etc. Things that can be shot over or gone around easily, but which provide cover/ impede movement.

The issue is, most things that provide cover are technically blocking as well.  I think that's a general issue the terrain rules have with Seamus's ability.  A lot of things in the game probably has the blocking trait even if they don't necessarily block Seamus due to HT 2.

The issue is, most things that provide cover are technically blocking as well.  I think that's a general issue the terrain rules have with Seamus's ability.  A lot of things in the game probably has the blocking trait even if they don't necessarily block Seamus due to HT 2.

Huh? Obscuring terrain doesn't "Block"........you can have plenty of soft cover around that isn't blocking....you don't even have to make it "Dense".

Which is why I think he added (buildings) to his Blocking spot........this could also be big rocks or some such.

Huh? Obscuring terrain doesn't "Block"........you can have plenty of soft cover around that isn't blocking....you don't even have to make it "Dense".

Which is why I think he added (buildings) to his Blocking spot........this could also be big rocks or some such.

I was referring more to hard cover options like low walls.  Barrels and other things like gravestones are probably technically blocking terrain too, even if they're too small to actually block anything. 

For those not well versed in Seamus: Back Alley requires being out of LoS to use then places Seamus within 1" of blocking terrain. So he could go from behind a building and pop out of a Ht1 Blocking gravestone for example, but its up to you and your opponent to fully declare what the terrain type is for each piece you're using.

For example, in a lot of our gyus we use forest markers (size of a cd) as Obscuring, but the trunks of the trees themselves (about a pencil width) are blocking.

I do really appreciate topics like this because I find map design to be a woefully underdeveloped art.  Great looking tables are of course, well presented, but the art of terrain that plays well is a tougher topic to come by.  It's something I'd prefer to see more of a developer driven guildline from over mutually agreed upon decisions between players because it really does come down to questions of how powerful abilities like Back Alley, Blind Fighter and even rules on the terrain itself like Cover are supposed to be.  Much like any discussion with game balance, its hard to really have that discussion without a bias created by how the terrain rules affect your specific model.

Interesting post. I think we use enough terrain but probably an uneven mix. I don't mind that too much as you are supposed to choose your list after terrain & so on & I like themes.  I will try the re classifying  thing though, fighting snipers with melee Ressers in a ruined (Mordheim) town can be challenging.

If you follow the OP guidelines you full up a 1 x 1 square with each of the appropriate terrain types. Scatter terrain, the missing type if you are splitting into 1/4s, could fill out any of the other sections.

For those not well versed in Seamus: Back Alley requires being out of LoS to use then places Seamus within 1" of blocking terrain. So he could go from behind a building and pop out of a Ht1 Blocking gravestone for example, but its up to you and your opponent to fully declare what the terrain type is for each piece you're using.

For example, in a lot of our gyus we use forest markers (size of a cd) as Obscuring, but the trunks of the trees themselves (about a pencil width) are blocking.

Of course, he can't easily go back from that terrain, so he is likely to get hit a couple of times there.

Honestly, I really think the 30-25% rule is a good rule of thumb for general games, but that individual groups need to find the right mix for their groups; not every group has a Seamus player, for instance.

Love the post.

For another game I play, a guy made a good post on the over use of open space.

In essence people were putting up hills in the game with only a few spots on the table had trees and hills. So the models that needed cover were effectively free points for the opponent while the more elite units didn't have to worry.

I don't see this too much in Malifaux, but there have been occasions where I've seen board without any form of cover near the middle of the board. To add onto what the original poster said about the 1/3 rule:

AVOID PLACING TERRAIN IN CORNERS AND TABLE EDGES!

There have been games I've played where the only terrain was near the table edges that were completely unusable. Examples I can think of are building that were on the table edge of my deployment zone. Maybe if I have Bodyguard I'd put a guy in the building, but for the most part I'm moving away from the deployment zone and that piece of terrain will never be in between my models and my opponent's. Effectively making it non-functional scenery, which seems a waste, especially when the middle of the board is almost an open field.

• 1 year later...

One of my favorite boards to play is a western town that our local henchman built. It features some buildings across one side, a hill with a church in the corner, and a big gallows in the center. These things break up the terrain plenty, allowing for lots of safe alleys to avoid gunfire and hide from LOS. On the more open side there's a bunch of fences for soft cover, crates and wagons for hard cover, and some low walls. It creates a very balanced feel, along the lines of the three lanes style maps from league of legends type games. The only thing missing would be some severe and/or hazardous terrain.

I really feel that's the sort of mix of terrain that balances out a board.

Definitely agree that the layout is very sparse, it doesn't even look like the minimum recommended amount from the Rule books. Looks more like a typical Warmachine board. It also reminds me of the official Malifaux boards I saw the last time I went to GenCon a few years ago.

is an example of what I would typically use.

I was thinking the very same thing! The table in the battle report needed much more scatter terrain - crates, boxes, carts, bushes, fences, etc.. That would have helped greatly with those wide open alleys and firing lanes. 

I liked the battle report though overall. Would like to see more with more pictures or diagrams though.

• 3 months later...

As a new player pictures or diagrams of layouts that promote good game play would be appreciated. There are a lot of great looking boards in the terrain forum but after reading this post I am going to have to go back and look at some of the board layouts again.

RL

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
29 minutes ago, amanwing said:

Is this still valid? If I remember right in the new starter set rulebook they say 50%-75% terrain.

Yeah, this isn't very up to date anymore. And even when this one was, I preferred the other stickied terrain thread (why there are two stickies saying essentially the same thing, I'll never know):

• 3 weeks later...