El comodin negro (or, the black joker)...

Bumpasses

I generally hold onto it if I draw it. I will discard it on the last turn, but that is still fairly risky because there is no guarantee that the game will end on turn 5.

I have demo'd for some people who would rather discard the Black Joker though.

Broadly I'd hold it in turns 1-4 and discard it before turn 5. Knowing stuff will succeed is rather good.

Exceptions would be if there's a "big" turn coming up, in which case I'd discard it (so it's out of the deck that turn anyway) and probably use a soulstone to make sure my hand is as good as can be. Also if your opponent has lots of things which make you discard cards, it's probably not worth holding on to... But that decision is very situational.

I will usually hold onto the BJ for a turn or two until I get impatient and toss it away pre-turn, or if I have a good use for it like flurry or defensive stance. I feel like the smartest thing to do is to just keep hanging onto the little bugger so that it cannot flip at an inopportune time, but unless I'm playing Jakob Lynch I really don't have the extra room in my hand to keep it.

Also, this should be in a different forum, not the 10T faction discussion.

muchas gracias Mako!

Also as an addendum to my previous post. I was just talking about this with my opponent during a game the other day because both of us had drawn our BJ on turn one. Holding onto the dang thing puts you down a card, and that has some pretty serious costs associated with it, This was further exacerbated by my opponent hanging onto a 10 for bete noir, putting him effectively at a 4 card hand. needless to say there was not a lot of cheating on his side of the table. But this just threw into very stark contrast the not so obvious cost of sandbagging a card, especially the BJ. Seeing fewer cards at beginning of turn, less cards to burn for cheating casting spells and if you get hit by assassinate style triggers, all because you want to avoid the 1/46 chance of flipping that cursed card.

I still think it is best to hang onto the BJ, but there is a very good argument for not doing so.

I tend to hold onto it for the first couple of turns at least. That way I can risk cards to gain positive flips. However if my hand has been mainly low cards for a turn or two I I will discard the black joker.

If I have my opponent on the ropes and he is hoping that I flip a Black Joker, I'll keep it in my hand. Though I think this is psychological more than anything.

Never want my last card in my hand to be a black joker though.

muchas gracias Mako!

Also as an addendum to my previous post. I was just talking about this with my opponent during a game the other day because both of us had drawn our BJ on turn one. Holding onto the dang thing puts you down a card, and that has some pretty serious costs associated with it, This was further exacerbated by my opponent hanging onto a 10 for bete noir, putting him effectively at a 4 card hand. needless to say there was not a lot of cheating on his side of the table. But this just threw into very stark contrast the not so obvious cost of sandbagging a card, especially the BJ. Seeing fewer cards at beginning of turn, less cards to burn for cheating casting spells and if you get hit by assassinate style triggers, all because you want to avoid the 1/46 chance of flipping that cursed card.

I still think it is best to hang onto the BJ, but there is a very good argument for not doing so.

This.

I never hold onto it. I don't think minus one hand size is worth it.

And especially given the increase in card discard effects between 1st and 2nd Ed, I just don't seem to ever hold onto it. I need to discard a card for healing, or Defensive Stance, or Flurry/Rapidfire, or my opponent's playing with Austringers/Belles or Headshot style stuff, too many options limited, for the small chance it'll kill an important action.