Wild Clampett Speculation

Thatguy

2 hours ago, aquenaton said:

Do we know what keyword will they have? Are thewy the Angler crew, or could that be another master?

Jockey would be really nice, but I have no idea... as we have seen some other mounted characters, it could be an option, unless the others are cavallier.

So far, we really know very little about this new book, but I am looking forward for very funny surprises. What do we know about them in the lore? I have not seen them in the RPG bayou book.

Some of the gremlin models that have been seen look amazing.

Considering one of the titles for the Clampetts is Fisherfolk, I think it's a safe bet that they're the Angler keyword.

There were surprisingly few Gremlin models shown in the video - I only counted three in addition to the Clampetts and their title version.

I'm guessing that the Gremlin with the multi-barreled harpoon cannon would be the title box shared model with Harold Tull.

The Silurid Rider and the Snail Rider both look absolutely amazing so really looking forward to them. Though the Angler theme seems to be a bit all over the place.

Does anyone know what the relationship between Silurids and the Gibbering Horde is? Because I kinda thought that the Skulker Skin looked to be wearing a Gibbering Horde skin but that doesn't show in the previewed art, really.

5 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I'm guessing that the Gremlin with the multi-barreled harpoon cannon would be the title box shared model with Harold Tull.

I saw that guy and also thought it might be the shared model with Harold. Looking back though this does raise the notion to me that perhaps Tull or the Clampetts might be dual faction. Granted the speculation for this is incredibly wild but the reasoning basiucally goes that it feels like it would be kind of odd for wyrd to box both dual faction masters together. This would mean that either Tull is Guild/Outcast or Clampetts are Bayou/Explorers. That is of course wildly speculative as there is no reason that Wyrd couldn't make a box of two dual factions and there is also no guarantee that the artillery gremlin is actually a shared model (he just sorta looks it).

22 hours ago, aquenaton said:

The mounted gremlins really do not sound like "Angler" to me. Even as we know they will belong to that keyword, the chivalry shown on that snail makes me think on other options.

They still have some nautical and angler elements. The snail knight's lance is a repurposed fishing rod with a harpoon head and the shield is an old ship's steering wheel. The Silurid Rodeo'er has a fishing hook on his stick too. Moby Dick had better beware of that harpoon launcher too!

• Like 1

If you use the Skulker Skin as a baseline for what it means to be an "angler" those other models definitely do fit in. Skulker Skin basically has nothing going on visually that would say "fisherman" other than that he is wearing the skin of a deep sea beastie. It seems likely that the thematic tie for the angler keyword will just be "gremlins that hunt by the ocean"

On 9/6/2022 at 8:20 AM, TimH said:

It seems likely that the thematic tie for the angler keyword will just be "gremlins that hunt by the ocean"

Yeah that was my impression. I'm also interested in why the keyword is "angler" and not just "Clampett". It seems like they're enough gremlin clans, that you could just use the clans as the keywords.

I'm excited to see what the rules are like. Hopefully we get some of that Witness power level and not like Somer 2 power level. Lol

19 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah that was my impression. I'm also interested in why the keyword is "angler" and not just "Clampett". It seems like they're enough gremlin clans, that you could just use the clans as the keywords

Probably for similar reasons why the keywords aren't Jones, tucket,  lacroix abs so on ( and also to try and avoid the issues when the faction was called gremlins but not everyone in the faction was a gremlin, and not all gremlins were in the faction). 

Keywords have kinda always been consistently inconsistent.

Witness for example is presumably in relation to the new master Damian having some story connection to the tyrant Witness, but while we have December, Obliteration and Plague as keywords the 3E Pandora keyword is Woe as opposed to Despair, Nightmare as opposed to Nytemare, Monk instead of Dragon, Mercenary instead of Shez'uul.

Similarly while certain keywords tie to characters just for being a thing (every Puppet gets the Puppet Keyword regardless of faction) other characters lack a keyword despite being a thing (Barbaros is Nephillim with a special rule to prevent him being used by the Nephillim Master but Graves and Tannen are both exclusively Honeypot despite being a Nephillim and a Woe).

Generally the most sensible keywords have been the ones where the Master has 2 keywords that differentiate that the models they use are not necessarily all of the same nature (Elemental+Academic, Chimera+Beast, Sooey+Pig, Elite+Mimic etc.)

Angler being the keyword presumably just means that a decision was made somewhere that it was suitably thematic and suitably Gremlin sounding.

1 hour ago, TimH said:

Witness for example is presumably in relation to the new master Damian having some story connection to the tyrant Witness, but while we have December, Obliteration and Plague as keywords the 3E Pandora keyword is Woe as opposed to Despair, Nightmare as opposed to Nytemare, Monk instead of Dragon, Mercenary instead of Shez'uul

Yeah it is interesting. Some make sense, like with the exception of Shen Long all the Monks get their powers from martial arts not Tyrant juice. Some like Obliteration and December have models that are made out of pure Tyrant mojo.

Kinda sad that Relic Hammers no longer do extra hurt to Tyrants and constructs. 

1 hour ago, TimH said:

Angler being the keyword presumably just means that a decision was made somewhere that it was suitably thematic and suitably Gremlin sounding.

I don't think Angler sounds very gremlin. But Noodler might confuse people. 

• 2 weeks later...

The snail knight gives me Don Quixote vibes and the Clampetts steam-work boat rig also makes me think 'explorers guild' in a way that has me hoping they are duel faction...how better to stop sitting on the sidelines than to go out there? Plus, we know the Explorer's Guild has no trouble with working with gremlins, and being seaside dwellers they could easily have come into contact with the EVS. 

That may just be wishful thinking of course, the mash up of bayou and some of those versatiles really amuses me. Can't wait to see what else Wyrd has in store for us with this release.

I am already loving them. A good all-rounded master with decent attacks, mobility, card draw and position controlling. Their defense is not the best, but with pseudo Leap and Stealth they should be able to avoid opponent's main beater quite easy.

Cannot talk much about the whole keyword before seeing all models, but Bruce is a very solid supporting model and Aunty Mel is an excellent beater.

1 hour ago, Rufess said:

I am already loving them. A good all-rounded master with decent attacks, mobility, card draw and position controlling. Their defense is not the best, but with pseudo Leap and Stealth they should be able to avoid opponent's main beater quite easy.

Cannot talk much about the whole keyword before seeing all models, but Bruce is a very solid supporting model and Aunty Mel is an excellent beater.

I think they are probably tanky enough, they should be getting positive flips on defence a fair amount by being next to tide markers. If anything, there seems to be a bit of a weakness to WP attacks across the keyword so far, so they have some draw backs.

They seem awesome though, full of flavour and look fun to play. Great at a bunch of things.

On paper they seem extremely powerful to me.

There is quite a bit of card draw, Tongue Whirlpool is very powerful, Reel In is very versatile, and the super leap is naturally crazy. Additionally the Scheming and disruption potential for this model seems to be through the roof. The Totem is super squishy so a bit of a single-use but that single use can be very powerful.

Hermits offer something very new to the Gremlins and they do it extremely well. In Combination with Bo Peep a Hermit can make a Bayou crew very resilient and GG3 favours those sorts of things. They seem extremely good.

And finally, Aunty looks absolutely monstrous. Now, she is very dependent on the Adversary thing so a canny opponent can make it awkward for her but Bayou isn't lacking in movement shenanigans so getting her to shoot her target shouldn't be impossible and when she does - oh boy! Again, seems like a very good fit for GG3. And if the opponent is forced to hide their expensive model and use them very sub-optimally because of her threat, that can be game-winning in itself.

I'm kinda worried that we'll have another Witness in our hands.

Skulker Skin still seem quite bad, though.

That said, I do like the theme and how they don't warp the rules in strange ways and yet seem to offer a ton of options playstyle-wise. Out of Bayou, the closest comparison I feel would be to Mah but that generalist niche isn't a bad place to double up on.

I do wonder how massive the mini is going to be and how it'll fit on a 50mm base. Or "fit" on it like Malisaurus Rex...

2 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Tongue Whirlpool is very powerful,

Tongue seems very strong. With Clampett mobility and ability to attack whatever the models worst stat is, Mental Trauma is a lot of hand pressure, or serious damage. Whirlpool is nuts as neither it nor Tongue Love ashing require the target to be an enemy model. You can hit your own models like the tough Hermits and get irresistible places on enemy models.

3 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Hermits offer something very new to the Gremlins and they do it extremely well.

Yeah I could definitely see paying the OoK tax for other crews to bring them. 

5 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

On paper they seem extremely powerful to me.

There is quite a bit of card draw, Tongue Whirlpool is very powerful, Reel In is very versatile, and the super leap is naturally crazy. Additionally the Scheming and disruption potential for this model seems to be through the roof. The Totem is super squishy so a bit of a single-use but that single use can be very powerful.

Hermits offer something very new to the Gremlins and they do it extremely well. In Combination with Bo Peep a Hermit can make a Bayou crew very resilient and GG3 favours those sorts of things. They seem extremely good.

And finally, Aunty looks absolutely monstrous. Now, she is very dependent on the Adversary thing so a canny opponent can make it awkward for her but Bayou isn't lacking in movement shenanigans so getting her to shoot her target shouldn't be impossible and when she does - oh boy! Again, seems like a very good fit for GG3. And if the opponent is forced to hide their expensive model and use them very sub-optimally because of her threat, that can be game-winning in itself.

I'm kinda worried that we'll have another Witness in our hands.

Skulker Skin still seem quite bad, though.

That said, I do like the theme and how they don't warp the rules in strange ways and yet seem to offer a ton of options playstyle-wise. Out of Bayou, the closest comparison I feel would be to Mah but that generalist niche isn't a bad place to double up on.

I do wonder how massive the mini is going to be and how it'll fit on a 50mm base. Or "fit" on it like Malisaurus Rex...

A Skulker by themselves doesn't seem that good.  But working in tandem with a Hermit they can be really nasty.  Have the dog put a pool marker on the left side of the skulker during one turn, jump over to the rightside with the bonus action and drop another next turn, then turn it into a nearly 10 inch hazardous/severe pool.

The opposing player would then rightfully try and target the skulker to remove the wall of death, but then all the attacks get redirected to the Hermit, who has armor 2 and may or may not have shielding on top.  Unless you got a lot of blasts, pulses, shockwaves, forced movement, or incorporeal, that is one horribly nasty combo, and relatively easy to pull off.

They do seem a little overly powerful to me, but I obviously have never played it.  Pretty much everything about this list seems powerful (and fun).

And I'll be damned if the Clampett's doesn't look like the most enjoyable model to paint ever (if not somewhat time consuming).

*edit*

Forgot the dog had accomplice too, making the hazardous wall that much easier to pull off.

The Skulker / hermit combo is probably great at area control, but is this really needed in GG3? Also you're spending 12 points of models on defensive duty so it better score you points and/or denied points.

This will definitely see play, but you need to pick the righ pool for it.

Also, it's kind of easy to denied. Incorporeal, marker removal, pushes, blast, etc. Almost all crew in the game have a (somewhat) easy way to stop that. Killing the hermit is not out of question too if you have amor denial option or a lot of ping damage.