Leveticus' Hollow Waifs

Purzel

Which sources can you recommend for some Leveticus background? Especially his handling of the 'Hollow Waifs' feels very unsettling. Is he indeed an ice cold misogynist using only women as victims for his immortality schemes? What's the deal with Alice and Marlena? Are they bound to become Waifs as well? If so, then this guy is more despicable than Seamus and I have no idea how can he conduct his business without being hunted down by all half-decent and anti-rezzer folk? I hear the rezzers don't like him as well...

Thanks and regards

Purzel

Oh, he's a piece of work to be sure. Definitely the character I want to see go DMH sooner rather than later.

For what it's worth, Leveticus keeps it deliberately unclear as to whether there's a sexual thing with the waifs, and he seems to be grooming Alyce more as his successor than his partner... Maybe I'm just giving Wyrd the benefit of the doubt.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

According to the fluff, he's slowly loosing more and more of his soul every time he resurrects himself. I feel like that is going to be more of an important plot point going forward. Basically becoming more akin to his own waifs.

I think it'd be cool if he just straight up became a rider. Loosing touch with humanity completely becoming an architect of fate. Letting go of Alyce, Waifs and personal ambitions.

I'm basing this on the first two editions description of Levi and the waifs, so I have probably missed some parts. You can get some of those stories from the breach side broadcast, but the general bios are only in the books as far as I know.

The waifs are dead people specifically prepared to allow Levi to cheat death. I can't find any reason why they are women, but it does seem to annoy Alyce who has been known to destroy some of them when they were left around. Most of malifaux are unaware of Leviticus's power to cheat death, and don't know about the waif existence. 

Alyce appears to be a protege, although the exact reason Levi took her on isn't known ( that I can see). I would very much doubt that Levi intends to turn her into a waif, as they seem very like empty husks, and he has spent a lot of time and effort on Alyce.

The history of Marlene Webster was determined during the divergent paths event, where the malifaux community decided the path of three characters, and the last major impact on Marlene was being trained by Leviticus, but several others had been involved to get her there. I'm not sure if the paths stories and options are still up on the forums. I think Levi sees her as another apprentice. 

I'm not sure if the waifs have to be killed is a special manner or if he can use already dead bodies in his ritual. Neither are great, but malifaux doesn't really have good guys, the best you get is morally dubious.

• Agree 1

The stated reason for the waifs being women is 1. That Leveticus likes looking at them but also 2. because he finds that people are less likely to be aggressive toward them as pretty girls (Source: Crossroads- "Sacrifice")

There is definitely a romantic relationship between Levy and Alyce. On many occasions Levy has internal thoughts about all of the things he likes about Alyce, and he she makes a sarcastic comment when someone refers to her as his daughter. In Broken Promises- "Horizon's end" Levy specifically asks Hannah if the Freicorp will be okay with their "May-December relationship (meaning large age gap). That is not to say that he does not have any other intentions for her, but he has explicitly told her that he wouldn't and likely can't use her as a waif since her soul is too strong (Twisting Fates- "Because I Could Not Stop for Death"). 

I would say overall that he is portrayed as a dirty old man, but not necessarily in a rapey way. Murdery though... definitely murdery.

Coincidentally I just finished doing a summary of all of Levys lore, if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/VBRXo1mOXGc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 3:03 AM, Adran said:

The waifs are dead people specifically prepared to allow Levi to cheat death. I can't find any reason why they are women, but it does seem to annoy Alyce who has been known to destroy some of them when they were left around. Most of malifaux are unaware of Leveticus's power to cheat death, and don't know about the waif existence. 

I didn't think the waifs were dead. I thought Levi just snuffed their souls out, leaving them empty husks for him to put his soul-tether into. Could be wrong though. Their card does say undead...

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Da Git said:

I didn't think the waifs were dead. I thought Levi just snuffed their souls out, leaving them empty husks for him to put his soul-tether into. Could be wrong though. Their card does say undead...

I'm away from my books, but I thought at least one bio spoke about their deaths. 

• 3 weeks later...

No good person can be friends with an evil innocent-torturer like Sonnia, so you can erase LJ from that list. 

I would add Molly and Reva, who seem the nicest people in Malifaux. 

And Tara and Karina are also quite nice, but only with each other ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I love how people are unsettled by this but how about Seamus? Murders prostitutes and then raises them from the dead to do his bidding. or McMourning who performs experiments on the living and the dead, or Raputina who commands a cult of cannibals, or the worst of them all Nellie! 

Leve is as bad as Seamus just less insane. So if you DMH Leve for being what he is then DMH Seamus. I dont want any DMH. Im still shattered by the DMH of my two favourite master Nicodem and Ramos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Seamus is written very differently. He's a bad dude, but you love to hate him, and Wyrd has pivoted him very well in subtle ways - like having him throwing dresses on Guild Guard during the assault on the compound. He's frightening and evil, but there's depth there. There's a degree to which his sociopathy is almost a performance to appease the whispers in his head. I'm less bothered by him than I was about the cheesecake Viks in 2e (love their 3e box).

Levi is just a creepy old man with plot armor. He doesn't bring anything particularly interesting to the game or the setting in my opinion, but that doesn't mean give him a pointless death. Dude has an epic fate, let him fulfill that narratively and move him on. Alyce is great fun as a character and her growth has been the good bit of Leveticus' narrative. Let her level up.

That being said, I really wish Wyrd would commit to what the DMH actually is. I'd like to see certain keywords rotate out each GG to be reintroduced with errata/new models the next year. To use one of my favorite keywords (and contender for worst person in Malifaux) as an example maybe Sonnia gets fired and Witch Hunter gets rotated into the DMH for a season. When it comes back she gets some new tech representing the work she did for the Guild Earthside, Witchlings are changed because she doesn't have access to make more of them anymore, and she gets a new enforcer, the Handler who is friends with Ironsides and dual faction M&SU.

• Agree 2

There's an inherent misogyny to Seamus' character but in my personal experience it's only ever been a handful of players that have made it uncomfortable to me. There's been a few odd moments with Wyrd, but I've always felt that the story where Molly breaks free of him showed they know exactly what Seamus is.

• Agree 1

I find it strange that we would discuss DMH 'ing characters for being what they are.  This is an adult game with some adult topics.  Malifaux is a dark and foreboding world modelled after the Victorian era, which is full of dark stories and crimes.  Being unsettled by the authentic world Wyrd has created is proof they have done it well.  Dark masters who are truly evil seem essential if you want a realistic world, because the world is a dark place.  This is how HBO did Game of Thrones, and why it gripped people so wholly.  

• Agree 7

7 hours ago, Autumn King said:

I find it strange that we would discuss DMH 'ing characters for being what they are.  This is an adult game with some adult topics.  Malifaux is a dark and foreboding world modelled after the Victorian era, which is full of dark stories and crimes.  Being unsettled by the authentic world Wyrd has created is proof they have done it well.  Dark masters who are truly evil seem essential if you want a realistic world, because the world is a dark place.  This is how HBO did Game of Thrones, and why it gripped people so wholly.  

Yeah I agree here. I think having bad characters, or at least complicated characters, is only a bad thing. I think where it becomes a problem (and this is I think why some people have a problem with Levi in particular) is when it seems like the writers/designers are asking us to "like" the bad people, or at least be okay with the bad things that they do. I don't think that this is the case with Levi, but I guess I see why other people do. For the most part I think Wyrd does a good job making sure there are no pure "heroes" or "villains" and leave it up to the player to decide who to like or agree with.

Except for Sonnia. She pure evil.