Who the hell is Lucius Mattheson?

extremor

Hello 

i need your help, please. I started Malifaux in M3e and I am slowly getting forward listening to the podast. The stories are quite hard to understand since I'm no natural english speaker.  Everything I heared so far about my favourite master is, that he is some govener guys secretary and  well... he is mysterious. There ain't that much intel on him. Even in the NVB-Faction-Book... nothing...

And then again I'm looking at the keyword and cards and ask myself: has he always been dual master (GUI/NVB)? Why are there so few mimics and much more elite? How come he is half NVB? ---is he? Why is there no Klaus Norwood in Malifaux? What does he want/do? What's his attitude towards the other NVB masters? And towards guild masters as well?

Maybe you can help. Who is Lucius Mattheson and how did he become the NVB master he actually is?

I don't think we really know the story behind him. Game rules wise he first appeared in first edition as the leader of the guild special forces. In the change to M2, he became a duel faction master. 

He has always been a mysterious figure working to his own agenda.

Edit. The governor General is the head of malifaux as far as humanity is concerned, so Secretary to the governor General is probably similar to vice president in terms of authority. Although I don't think he gets on with the new governor as well as he did with the old one, so he probably is less influential at the moment...

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 4:20 AM, Adran said:

He has always been a mysterious figure working to his own agenda

They tipped the hand pretty heavy at the end of 2nd when they came out at 100% confirmed that he was a mimic working against Guild interests from within. I kinda missed when he was more mysterious and it wasn't clear what was behind the mask. 

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

They tipped the hand pretty heavy at the end of 2nd when they came out at 100% confirmed that he was a mimic working against Guild interests from within. I kinda missed when he was more mysterious and it wasn't clear what was behind the mask. 

Which story do you refere to?

The strongest foreshadowing of it is the story "The Portrait".

But the end of second edition was a two part story "Shifting Loyalties" (it's presented as four parts in the Breachside Broadcast, Tales of Malifaux 85 to 88) and you can follow that up with "Return of the Queen" (Tales of Malifaux 95 and 96).

That's probably a good start for answering the question "How does Lucius feel about the other masters?" as well.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dzlier said:

My question is, in a world where people are acutely aware that there are dopplegangers and other things that look like humans but aren't, why isn't everyone hella suspicious of a guy that always wears a mask?

Natural selection. Those that are suspicious of lucius don't live for long....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, dzlier said:

My question is, in a world where people are acutely aware that there are dopplegangers and other things that look like humans but aren't, why isn't everyone hella suspicious of a guy that always wears a mask?

Executioner's and Sonia did it too. Wearing a mask is just in vogue it seems.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:16 PM, Thatguy said:

I went and re-read the stories last night, and I certainly didn't see that he was a mimic. He's not human, and is a Native to Malifaux in some way, but exactly what he is wasn't something I picked up from the stories. Although lets be fair, its hard to say who is working for guild interests a lot of the time. Kitchener spent a lot of the time not working for Guild interests, and he WAS the guild in Malifaux. Sabotaging his attempt to gain Tyranthood could be argued as working for the guilds best interests. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It was common for executioners to wear a mask to hide their identity, so people couldn't take revenge on them.

Sonnia was wearing a magical mask designed to stop her being taken over by Chefule.

All Guild Lawyers wear a mask. I don't know why, I'm hoping its a bit more from reason A than reason B, although the original lawyers also had the beast tag...

EDIT - Obviously the secrecy of the executioners doesn't work so well in Malifaux, unless they all come with Robot hands in gloves that they can use when they are off duty instead of those grafted on claws...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Adran said:

EDIT - Obviously the secrecy of the executioners doesn't work so well in Malifaux, unless they all come with Robot hands in gloves that they can use when they are off duty instead of those grafted on claws...

I mean Reichhart does just that in the recent Basse story, and I'd imagine executioners have a pretty hard time going to the bathroom with their scissor hands...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Adran said:

He's not human, and is a Native to Malifaux in some way, but exactly what he is wasn't something I picked up from the stories.

It was before the mimic key word. I pretty much lumped in any Neverborn who could take human shape into the 'mimic' group. He certainly doesn't have black blood like Lilith or Graves. 

33 minutes ago, Nathan Sells said:

I'd imagine executioners have a pretty hard time going to the bathroom with their scissor hands

A guardsman's work is never done.

Lucius needed McMourning's help with plastic surgery to alter 'something' off-putting about his face, and more recently Zoraida was frustrated to concede she didn't know what type of Neverborn Lucius was. He has the Mimic keyword, but it's not perfectly cut and dry "what" he is exactly.

I'm more curious if there was ever a human Lucius Mattheson to begin with, or if it's always been this Neverborn.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Well Executioners historically did wear masks to hide their identity to avoid reprisals. And Sonnia had a legitimate story reason for it, though I don't know how much of that was public knowledge.

35 minutes ago, HomelessOne said:

That was in a Wyrd Chronicles issue as I recall, around the end of 1e/start of 2e. In exchange, Lucius helps smooth over suspicion and cover up McMourning's Resser activities so that he could continue operating for the Guild.

I think it was a follow-up to when he manifested as an avatar as part of the event, which left physical evidence. I'd have to 're read to remember exactly what we know happened, but Kitchener helped him cover up what happened.