2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

Greetings, fellow painters, and welcome to the Monthly Painting Challenge for January!

Everything you need to know for the Challenge is right HERE.

After the tumultuous year that was 2020, I am feeling refreshed and ready for a new year. To that end, I ask you, my fellow painters, top share your New Year's Painting Resolution(s).

Have a fantastic January, look after yourself and your loved ones, and keep those brushes damp!

Caedrus.

• Like 5

Caedrus, ready to pledge!

This month, I'll be pledging 10SS of Hannah Lovelace, to (nearly) complete my Freikorps, and finishing up my Mercenary keyword.

My 2021 New Year's Painting Resolutions

1. To paint more miniatures than I buy;
  2. To get better at Non-Metal-Metal (NMM); and
  3. To get better at painting faces and skin.

Wish me luck!

Have a great January and 2021!

Caedrus.

• Like 7

Hey hey, it's Rathnard! 

January's an interesting month for me - I'm moving cities on the 11th and until then, most of my models and modelling stuff is packed away. That said, I came prepared...

VCgUYUq.jpg

Yep - a big box of assembled minis to burn through. ;) So this month I'll aim to paint up what's pictured - the rest of Parker Barrow's core crew (Mad Dog, 3x Bandidos & Doc Mitchell)

• Like 5

On 12/22/2020 at 5:45 AM, Caedrus said:

1. To paint more miniatures than I buy;
  2. To get better at Non-Metal-Metal (NMM); and
  3. To get better at painting faces and skin.

I modestly think buying minis is a basic instinct. I have more than a doubt about your chances to suceed as regard your point 1. As for me I pass on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1. To paint a couple of brand new crews for my collection;

2. To allign my old M2E crews to new M3E rules;

3. To add in my crews some non Wyrd minis that I bought looking to Malifaux world.

4. To complete Honeypot and Pandora crews I has going after in last part months.

5. My highst ambition and hope: to end 2021 dressing my mask only when airbrushing minis...... A thing I wish to all of you.

For January 2021 I'll pledge Iggy (6ss) and Teddy (10ss) for 16ss.

Keep youself safe and painting minis. Wishing you all a great 2021.

• Like 4

My 2021 New Years Resolution

1.  Finish the Nellie core box and ancillary models

2.  Get better painting eyes and skin 

3.  Improve highlight appearance

4.  Finish M3E Leveticus core box 

For January, pledging the following

Tara     15ss

Talos    8ss

Void Hunter     7ss

30ss

Finish bases on Teddy and Candy.  Won’t count as SS since almost completely done

• Like 4

你们好!

My resolutions for 2021

will include:

- the complete Honeypot Keyword, 

- the complete Qi & Gong

- some Ten Thunders Versatiles, like Miss Guided, Samurai, Lone Swordsmen...

- And then we'll see.

For this month I shall pledge at least two Illuminated, who would count for 14 Soulstones, which is more than enough to satisfy my Henchman tier. At least if I understood the rules correctly.

Quick question for all you guys: How do you post pictures more efficiently? My attachments are 99% full from the pics in my own painting thread...

• Like 3

For the month I’m pledging a unit for The Other Side, King’s Empire, not sure how many points exactly. For resolutions I really want to get my army finished for The Other Side, it’s going to take some dedication. Secondly I need to buy less and paint more, easier said than done.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 11:56 AM, Maogrim said:

Quick question for all you guys: How do you post pictures more efficiently? My attachments are 99% full from the pics in my own painting thread...

Hey @Maogrim, I use Imgur. I click on the photo in my album, copy and paste the "direct link" into the comment body and it automatically fills it with the photo. There is no limit that way. I'm sure there are different photo album services as well that others might share.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For January, I'm pledging the 1988 crew as well as the McCabe crew.

My painting resolutions for the year:

1) Complete more of my non-Wyrd backlog: my Nasier army for Wrath of Kings, the Slaanesh warband for Direchasm, ASOIAF Lannisters, and Blackstone Fortress.

2) I painted 10 Malifaux crews last year, so paint another 10 Malifaux crews, I guess.

3) Improve at painting skin and faces. If the face is the window to the soul, then most of my models are soulless. That works for Rezzers, not so much for the Guild.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Happy New Year all! 

My 2021 New Year's Hobby Resolutions

1. Become proficient using an airbrush

2. Finish all of the 'nearly done' projects. i.e Resser Faction, Space Hulk Set, Zombicide Set

3. Scratch Build a piece of terrain

4. Look after my brushes better

5. Expand my paint selection, use new colours and experiment more

With number 2 in mind I pledge the eternally unfinished Lampads that I've been pledging since summer last year! If there's time maybe the Grave Diggers too. I do have a fully built Apex crew sitting on the shelf next to me, but I am not allowed to start them until I finish the minis I've already started. Lets see if I can resist :) 

jvVCMCj.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Stranglelove said:

Hey @Maogrim, I use Imgur. I click on the photo in my album, copy and paste the "direct link" into the comment body and it automatically fills it with the photo. There is no limit that way. I'm sure there are different photo album services as well that others might share.

Thanks a lot, Strangelove! :)

I'll try PicLoad...let's test this!

20210101_153857_1.jpg

The first Illuminated is already done. Pretty satisfied with the skin, only halfway okay with how the glowy eyes turned out.

• Like 8

My new year resolutions:

1: take better care of my brushes.

2: finish painting all my malifaux miniatures before buying new ones.

3: complete my current keywords.

For January I will complete the wizz bang keyword by painting Alphonse. I will also paint the lucky effigy. 

29653420-9BE6-4FA8-94B3-AB866E07D8A5.jpeg

• Like 2

Let's get some feedback rolling, shall we?

@Cats Laughing Off to a good start! It's always nice to see Foundry models. Are you doing Mei Feng as well? The clothes are really well-shaded, particularly on Sparks. I think the skin could use a few brighter highlights! :)

@Gloomy Those pink flames are promising to come out super awesome when they're done! And Grave Diggers are really fun sculpts, which I, not a Resurrectionist myself, never noticed before.

@Ja9nge Care to share a group shot of the whole keyword once you're done?

@Harlekin I love the purple skin, the TMM metal and the base :)! I think a bit more and deeper shading on the wings would be nice, but could just be due to the picture being a little too bright.

@Rathnard Whoa, you got serious work done!! Pretty unique color scheme on the Parker crew. Makes me think of bandits robbing a remote town in the middle of the night, with a bright full moon bathing everything in a silvery glow... Was that the intent? And your Abuela is the stuff of nightmares, maybe even more so than Pandora! 😂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ja9nge said:

My progress so far: Finished painting Alphonse. He's got a big base to fill though, so I don't consider this model finished before he has something spectacular to stand on. @Maogrim I will post the complete crew once he is finished. 

IMG_4795.jpg

Great result on the skin! Really creepy looking model👏

• Like 2

Its tome for me to get back to my malifaux painting duties! I took some break from painting malifaux and tried to paint infinity panoceania and necromunda orlock gang (which still in process), but the present I recieved threw me back through the breach. Some nasty puppets are comeng!

• Like 2

On 1/5/2021 at 4:20 AM, Maogrim said:

Let's get some feedback rolling, shall we?

@Cats Laughing Off to a good start! It's always nice to see Foundry models. Are you doing Mei Feng as well? The clothes are really well-shaded, particularly on Sparks. I think the skin could use a few brighter highlights! :)

Thank you for the kind comments.  I have Mei Feng as well, but I started briefly painting her crew years ago and need to actually remove dust from models before I start on her, maybe even strip her down to plastic and reprime.

As for the shading, Sparks and the Survivors are almost 100% contrast paints (dry brushed sliver on the metal bits on the survivors with undercoated* silver on the spanner wrench on Sparks).  Haven't actually highlighted anything...

*I've since shaded it with some contract paint

Based on assembled and recently primed models I may pivot from Foundry to other Ten Thunders keywords or into Bayou if I can figure out what color to use for pigskin (cooked, uncooked, and undead)

• Like 1