2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - May

Caedrus

8 hours ago, Butch said:

@Viruk How did you do the spider webs? They look amazing.

There's an interesting web effect by GSW. You need an airbrushed to use it.

BTW, @Viruk is not new to employ paints and stuffs by GSW. I'll not be surprised had he used the reagent I was thinking about.

Excellent job witht the spides bases. I'll be grateful for some pictures capturing the webs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Viruk said:

It was indeed the Spider Serum from GSW. A bit tricky to use as it's super thick and needs to be sprayed very lightly to create a web-like look. It's basically liquid plastic so the smell is bad and I was wearing a mask while using it. Cleaning the airbrush was also a it more challenging than usual as it sticks to the recesses. I used the designated cleaner but still needed to put it in an ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of it completely. 

Great description of the Spider Serum. I own the kit of paint and cleaner but now I'm even more frightend to the idea of use it with the airbrusher....... Great pictures:  closer view shows it's very realistic. Perfect weathering of the metal surfaces too.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

Great description of the Spider Serum. I own the kit of paint and cleaner but now I'm even more frightend to the idea of use it with the airbrusher....... Great pictures:  closer view shows it's very realistic. Perfect weathering of the metal surfaces too.

I used it once and had to throw out my airbrush after. It was only a cheap one that was probably on it's way out but I don't espcially feel like chancing it through a good one now.

Also, only way I could get anything to spray at all was whacking the air on full and pulling back the needle to blast little puffs out. 

Not sure if Viruk had similar pains using it, but his results are certainly cool looking. :)

• Like 1

It wasn't that bad for me, just took a few test shots at random useless bits, learnt the right pressure on the lever. I also needed to move the needle back and forth a few times as it got clogged too fast. Definitely a bit tricky to use but the effects are pretty cool :)  

• Like 2

When I bought Spider Serum there were some videos as regard on GSW site. Hope they could use managing the stuff. For sure @Viruk denmostrated it's very effective on bases as on models..... and it could be nice on scenics too. As @lusciousmccabe  suggested, using a cheap aribrusher could be a lucky choice. I own one, but I'm not sure it's till working after I tried airbrushing MDF filler, last time I used it. 😒

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 1:39 AM, AzuraRayume said:

Oh, I thought we had to join in January! That's interesting.

I do have a question. If we were to join late, could we use minis we painted during previous month as catch-up? I've kind of been challenging myself to do a mini a month and post them in my own thread when they're finished.

Hi AzuraRayume,

Nope, you can enter later in the year, but you'd need to 'buy back' into the months lost!

Hi All,

Thanks for the messages and updates about any outstanding points in the challenge.

I've checked all my messages and notifications. I've updated the points to reflect those painters who have generated a buy-back, as well.

If there's anything I've missed, send me a message, otherwise, I look forward to seeing your end-of-the-month works!

Keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2