Guild Showing at Ridley Express

Yore Huckleberry

So, I went to the Des Moines tourney on Saturday and finished 3-4-14. Bans format.

Briefly:

Round One: Turf War with Power Ritual/Harness/Claim Jump/Hold Up Forces/Outflank. Wedge.
5-3 loss
Took Hoffman into Von Schill (Brian from S&S podcast)
I banned Amalgam; he banned Marshal
We played where Hannah could copy her own charge and she dropped the peacekeeper (which had claim jump) in a single activation, largely because Phiona had been tossed out of position into terrain so she couldn't take the hits. We both took claim jump (he had a librarian) and outflank. I scored outflank once and turf war twice; he scored outflank once, claim jump twice, and turf war twice.

Round Two: Plant Explosives with Assassinate/Vendetta/Hold Up/Dig Graves/Detonate. Flank deployment.
5-4 loss
Took Lady J into Von Schtuck
I banned Forgotten; he banned Journalist
We each moved sideways off the flank towards safe drop zones. Valedictorian flew in and dropped Lone Marshal with a red joker damage flip on the hard-to-wound minus. Lone Marshal was my Vendetta figure, so out two points. He forgot to use his Academic Zeal upgrade, and given my secretly lost points, I called missed opportunity (he was a good sport about that). Lady J dropped Valedictorian for the first point of Dig Graves (I expected to just get one from that). On my own side I forgot I'd taken a LLC on Lady J, resulting in him scoring first-assassinate: we decided those mistakes roughly canceled. We each scored the strat three times, but he got the first Vendetta point with an undergraduate By-Your-Siding into the Judge after my seven stones were gone.

Round Three: Corrupted Idols with Search Ruins/Detonate Charges/Claim Jump/Deliver a Message/Take Prisoner. Standard Deployment.
7-0 win (newer opponent)
Took Nellie into Titania on a board with a lot of severe terrain. I explained Nellie and Deliver before he chose schemes.
I spread Nellie, a Field Reporter, and Allison out with Nellie and the Pale Taxi in the middle so that each could cover one drop area. Opponent controlled the drop and put it near where some minions (ook Razorspine Rattler, ook Candy, and the Gorar) could advance towards it. I used the P Press near there to shove them back and apply burning with Hot of the Press and shuttled Nellie towards it with the Pale Rider, who got some shots into Aeslin as well. I had taken a Peacekeeper to anti-scheme and prevent Claim Jump, and it finished Aeslin with a harpoon gun. Round two the Undercover Reporter replaced an Autumn Knight to de-position it. Meanwhile he tossed one idol over but Nellie arrived and double-tossed it 2" + 2" with free interact heals and covered the interaction with her Exclusive Interview bubble. My opponent had taken Detonate and Search and wasn't able to get them down. I took Deliver and Search and scored them both, with the Undercover Reporter helping me drop markers via minions in the early rounds. It was a pretty advantageous pool/list, but it's nice to remember that Guild DOES have some tools that really shine.

The two close losses and the large game 3 diff gave me 7th, I think, with, I believe, a tie for second best diff at the tourney. I also won 2nd in the Painting Contest (theme Socialite) for Lucius, who matched that theme quite well.

My play in games 1-2 wasn't perfect, but I do think each game was competitive and winnable, and losing the Lone Marshal to red joker damage round one was hugely significant in game two. I'm optimistic about future Guild work at tourneys.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

So, I went to the Des Moines tourney on Saturday and finished 3-4-14. Bans format.

Briefly:

Round One: Turf War with Power Ritual/Harness/Claim Jump/Hold Up Forces/Outflank. Wedge.
5-3 loss
Took Hoffman into Von Schill (Brian from S&S podcast)
I banned Amalgam; he banned Marshal
We played where Hannah could copy her own charge and she dropped the peacekeeper (which had claim jump) in a single activation, largely because Phiona had been tossed out of position into terrain so she couldn't take the hits. We both took claim jump (he had a librarian) and outflank. I scored outflank once and turf war twice; he scored outflank once, claim jump twice, and turf war twice.

Round Two: Plant Explosives with Assassinate/Vendetta/Hold Up/Dig Graves/Detonate. Flank deployment.
5-4 loss
Took Lady J into Von Schtuck
I banned Forgotten; he banned Journalist
We each moved sideways off the flank towards safe drop zones. Valedictorian flew in and dropped Lone Marshal with a red joker damage flip on the hard-to-wound minus. Lone Marshal was my Vendetta figure, so out two points. He forgot to use his Academic Zeal upgrade, and given my secretly lost points, I called missed opportunity (he was a good sport about that). Lady J dropped Valedictorian for the first point of Dig Graves (I expected to just get one from that). On my own side I forgot I'd taken a LLC on Lady J, resulting in him scoring first-assassinate: we decided those mistakes roughly canceled. We each scored the strat three times, but he got the first Vendetta point with an undergraduate By-Your-Siding into the Judge after my seven stones were gone.

Round Three: Corrupted Idols with Search Ruins/Detonate Charges/Claim Jump/Deliver a Message/Take Prisoner. Standard Deployment.
7-0 win (newer opponent)
Took Nellie into Titania on a board with a lot of severe terrain. I explained Nellie and Deliver before he chose schemes.
I spread Nellie, a Field Reporter, and Allison out with Nellie and the Pale Taxi in the middle so that each could cover one drop area. Opponent controlled the drop and put it near where some minions (ook Razorspine Rattler, ook Candy, and the Gorar) could advance towards it. I used the P Press near there to shove them back and apply burning with Hot of the Press and shuttled Nellie towards it with the Pale Rider, who got some shots into Aeslin as well. I had taken a Peacekeeper to anti-scheme and prevent Claim Jump, and it finished Aeslin with a harpoon gun. Round two the Undercover Reporter replaced an Autumn Knight to de-position it. Meanwhile he tossed one idol over but Nellie arrived and double-tossed it 2" + 2" with free interact heals and covered the interaction with her Exclusive Interview bubble. My opponent had taken Detonate and Search and wasn't able to get them down. I took Deliver and Search and scored them both, with the Undercover Reporter helping me drop markers via minions in the early rounds. It was a pretty advantageous pool/list, but it's nice to remember that Guild DOES have some tools that really shine.

The two close losses and the large game 3 diff gave me 7th, I think, with, I believe, a tie for second best diff at the tourney. I also won 2nd in the Painting Contest (theme Socialite) for Lucius, who matched that theme quite well.

My play in games 1-2 wasn't perfect, but I do think each game was competitive and winnable, and losing the Lone Marshal to red joker damage round one was hugely significant in game two. I'm optimistic about future Guild work at tourneys.

Ok I'm struggling with this.  What is 3-4-14?  Im not seeing anything that matches that.

3 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Ok I'm struggling with this.  What is 3-4-14?  Im not seeing anything that matches that.

He has made 3 Tournament Points (2 Losses - 1 Victory). Final differential is + 4 (-2 first game, -1 second game, +7 third game). 14 is his total victory points (3 first game, 4 second game, 7 third game).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, zavros said:

All general actions are considered tactical actions as they do not have a resist. Hannah can effectively use her bonus action as a 3rd ap.

I mean, this is one of the more controversial debates at the moment over in the rules forum. As I wrote: we played it as if allowed, but even my opponent agreed it probably isn't the intent of the ability.

7 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

I mean, this is one of the more controversial debates at the moment over in the rules forum. As I wrote: we played it as if allowed, but even my opponent agreed it probably isn't the intent of the ability.

Your opponent agreed this is not the intent, and you still played it this way ? This is very depressing.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Why am I seeing the phrases ‘dropped the peacekeeper in a single activation’ and ‘bodyguard for the peacekeeper’? Why does our faction tank, not do so?!?!

Based on the report, the Peacekeeper being dropped in a single activation was hugely unlucky. Even with 3 attacks, Hannah is likely to do only 1 damage each attack. Even if she spends a focus, its unlikely she will win by enough that she can cheat her damage (Pro tip - if a Model like Hannah has focus available, you make sure you have the card in hand to cheat to keep the damage flip on negative, which, with the hard to wound, you are going to be doing with a 10. Its better to save that 10 to prevent a cheatable damage flip than it is to use it to force a miss and then get hit on the next attack for cheatable damage. ) I expect that this death involved a red joker on a damage flip, and frankly, almost nothing is going to survive Hannah doing that. (and even then that still needs more luck for Hannah to kill a peace keeper, she needs 4 damage in 2 attacks which isn't that likely)

7 hours ago, le_wahou said:

Your opponent agreed this is not the intent, and you still played it this way ? This is very depressing.

I don't have any sour grapes about it, but yeah, I'd love to see a real errata there.

7 hours ago, Adran said:

Based on the report, the Peacekeeper being dropped in a single activation was hugely unlucky. Even with 3 attacks, Hannah is likely to do only 1 damage each attack. Even if she spends a focus, its unlikely she will win by enough that she can cheat her damage (Pro tip - if a Model like Hannah has focus available, you make sure you have the card in hand to cheat to keep the damage flip on negative, which, with the hard to wound, you are going to be doing with a 10. Its better to save that 10 to prevent a cheatable damage flip than it is to use it to force a miss and then get hit on the next attack for cheatable damage. ) I expect that this death involved a red joker on a damage flip, and frankly, almost nothing is going to survive Hannah doing that. (and even then that still needs more luck for Hannah to kill a peace keeper, she needs 4 damage in 2 attacks which isn't that likely)

I don't exactly remember, but I think he stoned for an extra ram and took the siphon power ram on one attack, and there may have been red joker damage in there. Can't recall if he had a focus to get a red joker cheat in, but yeah, it was potent. @Davos, do you happen to recall exactly how you did this? The Peacekeeper might have been down one wound to begin with or something.

11 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Why am I seeing the phrases ‘dropped the peacekeeper in a single activation’ and ‘bodyguard for the peacekeeper’? Why does our faction tank, not do so?!?!

The idea was to put the Peacekeeper on the Claim Jump area and just hold it, backed by Hoffman heals and Phiona there to yank attacks off if need be -- an overprotection strategy for my claim jump points, basically, while the Watcher and Mech Attendant ambled off to Outflank supported by Langston and Joss.  Because Phiona can lure Hoffman in to heal-hit her, the ability to dump a hit or two onto her in the middle as Joss and Langston pincered in seemed like a good general set of tactics.

@Davos threw Phiona into some terrain off in another direction (probably should have brought a LLC for her!) and the big Hannah hits came in meanwhile.

@Yore Huckleberry I think I forgot to mention on the podcast that the Engineer had gone in with the Armor Ignoring trigger and pegged it for 2(3?) dmg in advanced.  And I think Hans might have pinged it for 1.

If memory serves, it wasn't a red joker, but on her charge attack, she had focus AND Rocket Boots, which totals a double + flip to damage, and I had cheated a severe (think 12-13) to hit, to keep the margin high, in addition to stoning for a ram and siphon powering for a ram.  and then I cheated the straight (or plus) damage flip to severe of 8, which brought the Peacekeeper down to around 4 (take 1 maybe).

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Davos said:

@Yore Huckleberry I think I forgot to mention on the podcast that the Engineer had gone in with the Armor Ignoring trigger and pegged it for 2(3?) dmg in advanced.  And I think Hans might have pinged it for 1.

If memory serves, it wasn't a red joker, but on her charge attack, she had focus AND Rocket Boots, which totals a double + flip to damage, and I had cheated a severe (think 12-13) to hit, to keep the margin high, in addition to stoning for a ram and siphon powering for a ram.  and then I cheated the straight (or plus) damage flip to severe of 8, which brought the Peacekeeper down to around 4 (take 1 maybe).

The idea that anyone is doing 8 damage with an attack, and it isn't lj, is insane to me.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Cursed25 said:

Thralls can do 9 dmg! ;) done it once! lucky but looks on opponent face was hilarious!

Hannah can do 10, but I can't think of anyone else that gets double figures for the 1 attack. (I may well have missed something, I haven't memorised all the damage buffs in M3 yet, so I haven't found anyone else that reaches 9, but I may have missed some interactions.)

31 minutes ago, Adran said:

Hannah can do 10, but I can't think of anyone else that gets double figures for the 1 attack. (I may well have missed something, I haven't memorised all the damage buffs in M3 yet, so I haven't found anyone else that reaches 9, but I may have missed some interactions.)

A Rougarou could get also a high number, but it's kind of a christmasland scenario very hard to set up and it includes ping damage so I'm not sure if that counts:

Charge with Blade Rush (from Inhuman Reflexes), RJ damage, Into Thorns trigger placing into a Hazardous Underbrush (thanks to Killjoy) overlapping a Hungry Land Marker (Emissary). That would be 11 damage (8 from the attack and 3 ping damage).

I wasn't including ping damage from things like charge through, or moving models in hazardous terrain, (because Hannah can add +3 damage and +3 burning at least from hazardous terrain/auras that I can see on a quick glance). Its a valid look, but it does add a lot more variables (such as how many hazardous pieces of terrain can you get it. Likewise I ignored things like Bleeding disease which has no maximum)

Without including ping damage then Rougarou with 8 (requiring an underbrush near, RJ and that trigger) is the maximum I can think off in NVB.

I guess to combo with Hazardous Arik with Charged Fist would be the one because Hanna doesn't seem to be able to push to trigger Hazardous. But I'm not that into Outcast anyway, Did they have 6 different hazardous terrain/auras!?