2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

3 hours ago, PetitDalek said:

Starting 2020 with bases for my crazy pyromaniac crew. It was my first time working with GreenStuffWorld textured rollers and I like them a lot. The results aren't as elaborate as store-bought resin bases, but you can make as many as you want in any size.

A good idea for tiny Malifaux legs is pressing the model's legs into the Green stuff while it's still soft, making the contact point for gluing bigger. I did this for Kaeris and it worked very well. Her base is the one in top left corner.

All that said, 0 SS so far lol

IMG_20200106_124901.jpg

These DO look great!

So you've just put "green stuff" into the bases and then there's a roller to make that flagstone pattern? My base game needs some serious hustle, so I'd love to hear more about this.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

These DO look great!

So you've just put "green stuff" into the bases and then there's a roller to make that flagstone pattern? My base game needs some serious hustle, so I'd love to hear more about this.

That's a way to do it. And it can be done also with Milliput or any epoxy paste. The bases on the minis I posted on this thread have been done by filling the recess with Milliput and using a roller pin, although a slightly different pattern.
From this experience, I will now do them another way, by rolling a flat sheet of Milliput down to 1-1.5 mm thin, roll the textured pin, then punch out the bases using standard steel punches. The extra material can then be re-rolled again. This process will avoid some edge effects.
And I agree that making an imprint of the feet is great, but proper pinning after is still required.

@Antinea@Yore Huckleberry

Yes, I mixed some Greenstuff and flattened it inside the base. Then I rolled a textured roller pin over it. The main downside was that some Green stuff spilled over from being flattened and I had to cut it away to keep the edges clean.

.@Antinea I had a good look at your lovely Viks again and now I see you did the bases just like me :) The sheet method sounds like a great solution, but I'd have to find good size steel punches somewhere. Where did you get yours?

I saw this post and was thinking there is no way that anyone could paint at a Tyrant level, that number is obscene... then I discovered I had almost that much done last year without realizing it. I didn't do it month by month, but I painted the whole GH Kickstarter allotment last year. I added it up and with all the 40mm bases and 4 commanders (3 Frenzy) it comes to 369 SS worth of models. That's just shy of 31 SS a month (372). I paint mostly on slow night shifts that are few and far between, but I guess I had enough time to get this done. Not the best painting, but tournament legal counts for something.

94fc4Sq.jpg

I did the dual commander and have my Abyssinia models primed. With my ebb and flow painting I don't know if I can do a monthly pledge, but I'll pledge my 285 SS worth of Abyssinians over the course of the year.

ikBpOOX.jpg

I guess I'll add in these 17 points of Arcanists for good measure from so far this year. These are about as good as I can paint, I just have to finish the bases of the Silent Ones.

UMCrcOj.jpg

• Like 5

So I'm a bit behind on this, but here's what I'm planning to work on for January;

7yUvlPD.jpg

Basically the last three models to round out my Wong connection, two gribblies as tests for my new Gibbering Hordes company and the ECB Black Ops  for my Cult of the Burning Man.

I'm not convinced I'll get them all finished, but so long as i hit 31SS for my Tyrant pledge then it's all good. :)

• Like 2

On 1/1/2020 at 2:03 AM, Nikodemus said:

Its moustache can be a bit fragile but other than that, an enjoyable figure to paint. Very simple sculpting, which I prefer. Good rules for Plant Explosives as well. Are you going for the box art colour scheme or something a bit more personal?

___

Anyone else took a headstart into 2020? Yasunori's mount got the skin bits, hooves & hoof flames done (what else was I going to do on new year's:D)

pic5142564.jpg

Overall it's still very dark, that will change. I've just blocked in areas to make sure I like the colour composition. Far as I'm concerned the wings or Yasunori himself aren't "painted" per se, as I've only indicated (roughly) what colour to put where. Working my way up the mount before tackling mr Blender himself. Next session will be the neck scales. Going to re-watch a feather tutorial or two before tackling those wings. Intimidating!

So beautiful!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In January I'll paint my last Plague model, Benny Wolcomb

cSLdqj9.jpg

(can you spot the cigarrette? >_< )

And once this guy is done I'm planning on doing an scenic base to fit all my Plague minis (26 of them if i've counted right 😬) But this will be for the february challenge, i hope an scenic base counts as terrain even if it's not playable

• Like 2

On 12/30/2019 at 11:49 PM, Nikodemus said:

This guy has eluded me for a while now. Really been struggling with a colour scheme. But I think I've finally gotten an idea. At least something I can paint on it. If it doesn't work I'll just paint over it. No biggie. Might do something else as well, but this bad boy is getting done:

pic5140564.jpg

Realistically something as big as this is likely to wear me out by the end. So no promises on quality. But right now I'm pretty pumped. We'll see. Will be quite a start for the new year.

Did you paint it seperated from the steed or all together?

On 1/6/2020 at 11:55 PM, zesty said:

I'd like to buy into the 2020 challenge and commit to the Enforcer level pledge.

This month I finally managed to finish the Half-Blood and Asylum models from the m2e starter set. I'm very new to Malifaux (and especially m3e) so I will also treat this as a log of my first steps into  Malifaux. So, here are the models:

Dr Grimwell - 9ss

Nurse Heartsbane - 7ss

Orderly - 5ss

Orderly 2 - 5ss

I started the Asylum models around 3 years ago. You can see some of the shading and highlighting on Dr Grimwell and the leftmost Orderly is quite messy as they were mostly painted when I originally got the set. I just added a few details and fixed them up a bit to go with the freshly painted Nurse Heartsbane and other Orderly. I'm pretty happy with how the latter two came out - this was the first time I consciously tried blacklining. 

Angel Eyes - 9ss

- Maurice - 7ss

Bloodwretch - 5ss

Bloodwretch - 5ss

Having been away from regular painting for a good few years, I had a bit of re-learning and discovering to do. I knew that these models probably won't see much game time in the future so I decided they were the perfect candidates for trying out the (in)famous Contrast Paints *gasp* 😱. All but few details I actually decided to pick out have been painted using solely GW Contrast Paints (over a zenithal highlight undercoat). They're nowhere near showcase quality obviously but overall, I think they're a respectable tabletop standard, all done in a grand total time of 6 hours. 

So that's it from me for January. A total of 52ss. I'm already planning what to paint for February... 😁

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

The crew looks awesome!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1