2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

Welcome to the 2020 Wyrd Painting Challenge!

This is the thread for the January Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I have the very great pleasure of being your host for 2020. While I am proud to be your host, this competition belongs to all of us, and if there’s anything that we can better to improve the Challenge, please do let me know.

If you have friends interested in taking part in the challenge, please let them know!

The link to the painter spreadsheet is HERE, and I’ll provide a link as soon as it is (semi-)finalised.

The 2020 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 Soulstone worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge starts on January 1st, 2020. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan. See the Buy-Back rule, below.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

A new rule for 2020: The Buy-Back

Everyone has good months and bad months. To encourage people to continue to paint, we will be trying out a new rule this year: the Buy-Back. In the past, if you have used your two mulligans, you’re out of the Challenge!

However, in 2020, you can buy your way back into the challenge. All you have to do is to undertake your normal pledge and paint for the month, AND undertake the pledge and paint from one of the months you mulliganed.

E.g.: Sarah is painting at Enforcer level (6SS/month), and she’s needed to mulligan for the third time. She announces that for the upcoming month, she’ll paint 12SS. If she does so, she’s back in the Challenge!

At such a time, it might be worthwhile considering dropping down a category, but that’s up to Sarah!

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.

Terrain

• ·       Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • ·       Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • ·       Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • ·       Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • ·       War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed 3’x3’ terrain board.

How to upload images?

1. Go to imgur.com, and create an account.
  2. Click on your account, click on 'images', and then 'add images'.
  3. Click on your uploaded image. You'll see a whole bunch of link options.
  4. Click on the 'copy' button next to 'direct link'.
  5. Go to your Wyrd Forum thread.
  6. Paste (CTRL-V) at the appropriate spot.
  7. The image should appear, resized appropriately to the page.

My very best for January, and 2020!

Caedrus.

• Like 4

Greetings fellow painters!

I hope you have a fantastic New Year, and that 2020 brings you an amazing year.

For January, my pledge will be something from my Shelf of Shame TM, which includes:

• Envy;
  • A Latigo;
  • 2 Silent Ones;
  • Cojo Proxy;
  • 2 Mounted Riders; and/or
  • The Dispatcher (proxy).

My Shelf of Shame!

0aCJRHN.jpg

• Like 5

This guy has eluded me for a while now. Really been struggling with a colour scheme. But I think I've finally gotten an idea. At least something I can paint on it. If it doesn't work I'll just paint over it. No biggie. Might do something else as well, but this bad boy is getting done:

pic5140564.jpg

Realistically something as big as this is likely to wear me out by the end. So no promises on quality. But right now I'm pretty pumped. We'll see. Will be quite a start for the new year.

• Like 8

Hi all,

Excited to be involved in this and finally have motivation to paint!

I've decided to complete a single keyword this year before moving on so I can finally run a fully painted crew at tournaments.

I'm going to pledge

Leveticus

2 Hollow Waifs.

If I have time I'll try and fit in a few extra models but those 3 would already be significantly above my monthly average.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, S4lt said:

I've decided to complete a single keyword this year before moving on so I can finally run a fully painted crew at tournaments.

YES👍

How much do you paint in a week?

While there's many things that contribute, simply dedicating more time is a brute force way to get more stuff painted:DThough I understand this isn't the #1 hobby for everyone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

YES👍

How much do you paint in a week?

While there's many things that contribute, simply dedicating more time is a brute force way to get more stuff painted:DThough I understand this isn't the #1 hobby for everyone.

Honestly it's hard to say, every week is different. I'm lucky to get a few hours in most weeks. I'm hoping by making commitments I will carve out the time to do it.

My biggest problem is trying to be and stay competitive, I have so many models that are half painted because i was trying something and them moved on to the next big idea. 

I try not to jump between too many models. Usually I have three or so models stuck to my mini-holders, which limits how many I can work on at once. Helps with finishing models. My motivation tends to die off if I take a break from a model for too long. For most of my minis there's few days to few weeks of time between starting and finishing the paintjob. Any longer and I just don't finish. In my experience committing to a few specific minis at a time helps get stuff finished.

At most few hours a week can certainly be an issue. That's enough to finish a model, provided your skillset and desired end result match. But it's a challenge, certainly.

I know it's not for everyone, I have a feeling you'll not warm up to it, but committing to playing fully painted can help. Of course only after you've got a sensible 50ss all comers' done to rely on. It was a natural conclusion for me after a few years in the hobby, but I've always enjoyed the more visual side of this hobby. Unpainted model is simply not a consideration for me. And in 2019 it did drive me to paint certain models I really wanted to field on the table, often under a looming deadline.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Excited to get this years models rolling!

In light of the continued non-appearance of my Black Friday purchases I will pledge some Models i actually physically have and have half finished rather than hedging my bets on a parcel arriving.

Therefore for January I will be pledging:

1 Arcane Emissary 10pts.

1 Shastar Vidya Guard 8pts.

Really hype to be in the challenge proper this year!

• Like 2

I'm absolutely stoked to be in on this! In the past few months, I've been painting most of the Wildfire keyword for a Kaeris crew, but since they're all at least half-painted (and a few nifty scheme markers made), I figured it'd be a bit of a cheat to just use half-painted models each month to make things a breeze.

Even though I have a few Latigo models painted for 2nd Ed., I decided to start over with Perdita's Family and paint them all from scratch again. Plus, I'll hopefully get in some time for some scenery and/or cool homemade markers. So, without further ado, for January, I pledge the Maestra of the Ortega family, Perdita herself! 15 pts. A little overkill for Henchman, but that's okay. 😁

I think I'll have plenty of motivation for these, especially because my gf looks a bit like Perdita and I'm in the midst of becoming fluent in Spanish. 🤣

• Like 5

2 hours ago, monkeyboy30672 said:

I'm absolutely stoked to be in on this! In the past few months, I've been painting most of the Wildfire keyword for a Kaeris crew, but since they're all at least half-painted (and a few nifty scheme markers made), I figured it'd be a bit of a cheat to just use half-painted models each month to make things a breeze.

Life happens so it's good to have plan B just in case;)

1 hour ago, iCreed said:

Time for my first go at this! I pledged enforcer and i'm looking to start 2020 off with my first master! Marcus :D

Ooo. I've got two painted and two more primed in the pile. My four arcanist masters :DMarcus makes for a great mini.

I believe I wanted to challenge myself with the Enforcer level (typically 2 minions if I do a minion) and I'm currently in a league using Ten Thunders, so I think I'll start with my Ten Thunders backlog.  That means I'm pledging to paint the following for January:

-Dawn Serpent (versatile 9 ss)

Here's hoping that's an easy enough start.

12 hours ago, monkeyboy30672 said:

Holy rhinoceros nipples!!! If I thought I even had a CHANCE of pulling this off, I would absolutely love to make and paint this Perdita crew: http://www.malifauxmusings.com/2017/10/dia-de-los-malifauxs.html

That's un-effing-believable...!

This is my favourite alternate take on Perdita 😀. Not that the dia de los muertos crew isn't absolutely fabulous.

• Like 2

Welcome everyone! Let's start the 2020 optimistic!

I pledge:

The eternal flame (it's already pretty advanced)
2 or 3 fire gamins (I need to decide how many I want to build, they are still NoS)

And as that will finish my current Wildfire keyword I will hopefully advance on Colette's crew, so I pledge
2 mannequins

I got  two GreenStuffWorld rollers for Xmas, so I will experimant with bases for my Kaeris crew. I might also start another random mini, I have quite a lot laying around. I don't think I'll get more organized in 2020, I'm too old for that , so we'll see at the end of the month😂

• Like 3

17 hours ago, monkeyboy30672 said:

Holy rhinoceros nipples!!! If I thought I even had a CHANCE of pulling this off, I would absolutely love to make and paint this Perdita crew: http://www.malifauxmusings.com/2017/10/dia-de-los-malifauxs.html

That's un-effing-believable...!

I considered very seriously painting my Latigo posse in that style for the December pledge.  I decided against it because that crew is just one of a kind.

• Like 1