ToS and Heat

EagerPayload

I am from Australia so obviously don't have my pledge yet but I keep hearing that to fix models use warm water and bend it back into place. My question is (as stupid as it sounds when typing it), what temperatures do they start to become flexible? Like we get a few 45+ degree days (~113+ Fahrenheit) and just wondering would that be an issue in terms of models retaining shape.  It sounds completely stupid and I feel like its a non issue but then again the road out the front of my house melted last year.

It's not a dumb question. I've had the same thought as well. The models seem extremely resilient because of their recipe, but I've noticed its very hard to get them to keep their shape when I've heated them and shaped them. I used very hot water and the model becomes flexible and easy to manipulate. I've noticed, however, that some of the models I've shaped have reverted back over time. Also, if I put a model I've shaped under hot water again, it immediately moves back to it's original shape. My concern is leaving the models in a warm car, etc.,  is going to cause them to move back to their original shape, so similar to your concern. I think this is the trade-off to having very hearty models that are pre-assembled. 

4 hours ago, Shadowopal said:

I don't leave things in cars anymore. I had a neoprene mat melt. I had plastic minis melt. I had a water bottle melt. Those three incidents taught me that a hot car is no joke. 

Yikes, stories like that make me glad I live in good old freezing cold Canada!

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Clement said:

Jebus, was it full of water?  Where do you live, the Sun?

LOL no. It was empty. I live in Chicago. Just couldn't find shade parking. It was an extremely hot day. It was a dumb thing to leave in the car. It all adds up. It didn't melt to a puddle of plastic. But there was a hole starting by the time I got back. 

26 minutes ago, Shadowopal said:

Funny thing is I live in Chicago. We only have hot days like that for a few weeks. I can't imagine what Southern states go through in the summer. 

Eh, I live in SoCal and have left my minis in the trunk for weeks without issue

43 minutes ago, Flinroz said:

Eh, I live in SoCal and have left my minis in the trunk for weeks without issue

I’m pretty sure Shadowopal was dealing with items left in the passenger compartment melting (or softening), not things in the trunk.  Especially with untinted windows...  I wouldn’t want to test certain resins or plastics against that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, solkan said:

I’m pretty sure Shadowopal was dealing with items left in the passenger compartment melting (or softening), not things in the trunk.  Especially with untinted windows...  I wouldn’t want to test certain resins or plastics against that.

Yeah. My car isn't very sun proof. I live in a mild climate for heat most of the year and have a garage. So don't park on the street much. But each time I get caught by the heat unawares it surprises me. 

On 11/1/2018 at 11:05 PM, EagerPayload said:

I am from Australia so obviously don't have my pledge yet but I keep hearing that to fix models use warm water and bend it back into place. My question is (as stupid as it sounds when typing it), what temperatures do they start to become flexible? Like we get a few 45+ degree days (~113+ Fahrenheit) and just wondering would that be an issue in terms of models retaining shape.  It sounds completely stupid and I feel like its a non issue but then again the road out the front of my house melted last year.

I live in Australia too. Last year we had about a month straight of 45 odd degrees. My suggestion would be keep them in the house, not the shed or garage. Inside the house tends to be cooler due to insulation, shade, no direct sunlight, etc.

My hobby room is on the south/west side of the house, and the north/east side is hammered by sunlight. The hobby room was usually about 5 degrees cooler than the rest of the house because of that.

Anything big or heavy, like an Alpha Crawler or Kings Hand, leave it lying on its back rather than standing so any weight is left off the load bearing limbs.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:12 AM, Merchant said:

inb4 using ice chests to store your mini's bags

I heard tales of a guy living in Melbourne that had a permanent place in his beer fridge for his Reaver Titan, since in Australian summer heat it’s legs would buckle without being kept cool.

On 11/10/2018 at 2:36 PM, -Loki- said:

Anything big or heavy, like an Alpha Crawler or Kings Hand, leave it lying on its back rather than standing so any weight is left off the load bearing limbs.

I would likely add to that the combined arms titans for Abyssinia.  I'm not totally sure on the Steel Legion one, but the Mechanized Infantry one has a bunch of weight up top and one of the leg sections of the model is pretty thin.  At room temperature, I had one behave perfectly, but the other I ended up add a support rod to because it kept "settling" over a few hours.   I can't imagine they'd do better when heated up. 

• Agree 1

On 11/12/2018 at 11:43 AM, Clement said:

I would likely add to that the combined arms titans for Abyssinia.  I'm not totally sure on the Steel Legion one, but the Mechanized Infantry one has a bunch of weight up top and one of the leg sections of the model is pretty thin.  At room temperature, I had one behave perfectly, but the other I ended up add a support rod to because it kept "settling" over a few hours.   I can't imagine they'd do better when heated up. 

One of them buckled at room temperature? 

I made a comment in a different thread about the spears of various Abyssinia models. Tried the hot water and they just bent right back after a bit.  

1 hour ago, CaladanCid said:

One of them buckled at room temperature? 

I made a comment in a different thread about the spears of various Abyssinia models. Tried the hot water and they just bent right back after a bit.  

Yes, room temperature.  If you haven't seen the walker model, it's a LOT of weight up top, and the second "segment" of the leg is a single rod.  If you mount them "off balance" the weight of the model might be enough to cause the problem.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I mounted both of them identically and only one of them had the problem.  It's entirely likely that it was just a weird cure or something.  A single pin going from base to body fixed the whole problem right up.  I'll hide it in grass when I get to the finishing steps.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2018 at 4:36 PM, -Loki- said:

I live in Australia too. Last year we had about a month straight of 45 odd degrees.

Damn, throw in a ton of deadly poisonous animals and that sounds like the sort of place you'd ship people off to as punishment. 

Even the ridiculously cute animals are poisonous. 
Duck-Billed-Platypus.jpg 

19 hours ago, WWHSD said:

Damn, throw in a ton of deadly poisonous animals and that sounds like the sort of place you'd ship people off to as punishment. 

Even the ridiculously cute animals are poisonous. 
Duck-Billed-Platypus.jpg 

That's only the males, and the venom won't kill you, it'll just make you wish you were dead. 

On 11/15/2018 at 2:45 PM, Clement said:

Yes, room temperature.  If you haven't seen the walker model, it's a LOT of weight up top, and the second "segment" of the leg is a single rod.  If you mount them "off balance" the weight of the model might be enough to cause the problem.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I mounted both of them identically and only one of them had the problem.  It's entirely likely that it was just a weird cure or something.  A single pin going from base to body fixed the whole problem right up.  I'll hide it in grass when I get to the finishing steps.

As an update to this, the other one (the one that didn't need the pin) started to limbo a day or two ago (settle backwards).   He's since been pinned in place like his brother.