Third Edition is Coming!!

Nef

19 minutes ago, RedHood said:

But Wyrd are in a totally different situation this is a niche game with a much smaller player base. I'm not sure doing a half cocked announcement of a new edition in which they announce they are panning many of the popular masters for no real logical reason was the best way to get people excited. 

If I've learned anything from recent years, its that gamers are totally willing to burn everything good they have going because a company didn't give them exactly what they want.  :(

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

That might have been my post.  Unfortunately as I think on it its probably unlikely.  As soon as I paid attention to the name I realized Youko basically screams kitsune/fox demon style character.  I'll be surprised if she's anything other than a kimono wearing girl with white fox ears and red whisker marks on her face.

You will be surprised!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

My Collodi crew is going to be pretty useless while my Mah crew will probably function fully. Imagine if had only the Collodi crew. The analogy about movies on VHS is just... bad. Like really bad.

Also, I spent dozens of hours building and painting that Collodi crew in the belief that I will be having it as a valid option for a long time to come.

Plus all these releases like Hinamatsu... Please, buy it now cause later her thematic master will be (almost) gone!;)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Malovane said:

This is your own fault based on a faulty assumption.  Further, the crew can still be used for a long time to come, as it has already been stated that it will be getting M3E rules.  Even without M3E rules, the M2E and M1E rules for the crew still exist and are perfectly capable of being used.  Again, I will reiterate that how much use you get from your purchase is on you, not on Wyrd.

People are allowed to be upset about and stop supporting Wyrd over it. That's a perfectly valid response. If enough people do so, maybe Wyrd will reconsider. Maybe they won't. Maybe I'll paint my Ironsides crew next and maybe they'll ax it next month. Who knows.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Kyris said:

Great in theory. never works that way in practice.

By no means am I saying use of the old version would be wide spread.  I recently broke out and played some old school Necromunda.  Certainly not a common occurrence given that the edition is out of print and unsupported.  Same goes for the older version of the Twilight Imperium board game.  I stand by my point that there is nothing fundamentally stopping anyone from using old editions other than their own willingness to put in the effort to get games together.

10 minutes ago, Malovane said:

I did read your post.
1.  You still have plenty of time to get value playing M2E.  Even after the release of M3E, it doesn't stop you from playing M2E.
2.  It is absolutely not clear that wyrd will not put out further models.  Collodi may get an update in the future.  There is also good probability that new models may be of use in his crew.
3.  He absolutely can be used in tournaments, at TO discretion.  This has already been stated.  You may not be able to use him in every tournament, but some use does not equate to no use.
4.  You can still use him in casual play.

Therefore, there is still the possibility to get value from your purchase.  It is entirely up to you.  The only way your purchase becomes a waste is if you never make use of it.

I see a lot of maybes, absolutely not clear and so forth...If I wanted to gamble, I will play the lottery.

So I have to spend time, money and effort to painting a crew, where I will be at the whim of an individual whether I can play at a tournament?  Or do I now have to buy a backup crew + additional miniatures just to be sure that I can play at all.

The arguments that you bring forward really dont help at all.

• Like 2

"Pandora – Pandora is famous (infamous?) for twisting an enemy’s attacks back upon them, and little has changed in Third Edition. In addition to forcing enemy models to harm themselves, Pandora is also very good at controlling enemy activations via her Mood Swings ability, which allows her to discard a card or a pass token to choose which model an opponent must activate next. Her thematic crew reinforces this control with the Misery ability, which damages enemy models who Cheat Fate within its aura."

A pass token?

Am I reading too much into this or will this be some way to "pass" and avoid out-activation?

Man, so much to be excited about!

• Like 3

I really don't like the focus on thematics. With thematic crews costing less and being designed with a specific master in mind, there's going to be little reason to look outside for combinations. Seems like every master might just become their own little island and beyond that be fairly irrelevant to their faction, also requiring you to "repopulate" a new island every time you buy a new master, rather than getting a small handful of nifty (if not too general) staples that will do a decent job at a decent price for all masters. And with that focus on thematics, I'm guessing the now lost masters won't be getting any particular additions to their crews? I'd hate to play Neverborn right now.

On a side-note, if all models will be getting cards and have them released immediately, wouldn't that age the game much faster than if you released them in batches? And be quite a bit more likely to have the game be unbalanced out of the gates? I mean I get wanting to not put a lot of people off having them wait for their models, but still...

4 minutes ago, Tokapondora said:

On a side-note, if all models will be getting cards and have them released immediately, wouldn't that age the game much faster than if you released them in batches? And be quite a bit more likely to have the game be unbalanced out of the gates? I mean I get wanting to not put a lot of people off having them wait for their models, but still...

Updating models in waves was probably M2E's biggest mistake.  The need to make a complete game out of a fraction of the models available ate up way too much design space early on and made it impossible to create worthwhile synergies that made different combinations of models viable options.  Instead we got a batch of generalist good stuff that lead the game down a path of best in class options for each model type that made it hard for any real variety to exist.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TeddyBear said:

Two questions pls: if, for every models there will be a restilyng (similar to tos, and i like it much) buy new encounter boxes makes sense?

What will new models be like? Pre-assembled?

There was official word on A Wyrd Place that Malifaux plastics will still be multi-part kits.

• Thanks 2