Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Franchute

Sure, it's just black spray and on top of that I lightly spray brown one (Leather brown from Army Painter). It helps with showing where the shades and brighter spots should be. I use it when I work on models that will have different shades of red or brown.

• Like 1

Time for a mid-month report. The eternal flame got finished about two hours ago (2 ss). The decision to paint an couple of brass and bronze parts made the model itself look quite nice and I'd say the flame effects aren't half bad. I also tried a bit of OSL (barely visible in the photo) which could have turned out better, but that's what practice is for.

March_Flame_Finished_Edited.jpg

The gamin on the other hand I'm struggling a bit with. I tried some weirder shading to give it a translucent feel and mulling over the results has made progress slow, so slow I haven't even gotten to the chitinous highlights. Still, I'm happy with the results, though the current layers are too dark for my camera to pick up.

March_Gamin_WIPEdited.jpg

And here's mouse for completions sake. Haven't touched it yet this month, but I wanted to upload a picture that showed that the model did have some colour already.

March_Mouse_WIPEdited.jpg

And once again I'm back to the potato camera, so pictures are a lot greyer than in real life. I'll try to borrow the better camera once every couple of months or so, but untill then this is the best I can do.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Viruk said:

Sure, it's just black spray and on top of that I lightly spray brown one (Leather brown from Army Painter). It helps with showing where the shades and brighter spots should be. I use it when I work on models that will have different shades of red or brown.

I have been priming in brown too lately (mournfang brown from GW) with a wash of agrax earthshade before starting painting. I like it a lot given the colours I use

• Like 2

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, Amdor said:

Time for a mid-month report. The eternal flame got finished about two hours ago (2 ss). The decision to paint an couple of brass and bronze parts made the model itself look quite nice and I'd say the flame effects aren't half bad.

Nice model. As a suggestion, by using a different color for the base so to produce a high colour contrast could burst up the mini.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Purple Mist said:

Nice model. As a suggestion, by using a different color for the base so to produce a high colour contrast could burst up the mini.

Thanks. I'm aware of the issue ever since I decided to use cobblestone basing for most of my models. I don't think it's an issue outside the smaller minions and those don't need to pop that much. But how would you spice up a grey cobblestone base without making it look out of place? Ditch grey and go with another colour altogether?

Lots of really great models being painted up this month from the WIP people are posting.

I’ve literally not done anything yet.

I’m also having an issue uploading pictures to the forums.

Could someone please point me in the right direction for a free to use picture hosting site?

thanks

2 hours ago, Amdor said:

But how would you spice up a grey cobblestone base without making it look out of place? Ditch grey and go with another colour altogether?

A first option is to create mosaic style designs while painting cobblestone using different colours. Guess mosaic style obblestone and ditch grey cobblestone bases can coexist for the same crew: they just simulate different spots of the town streets/squares.

DEsign.jpg

On the other way you can add debris or foliage over the cobblestone base. I did it adding some dead foliage to a grey cobblestone base for the Scorpius here:

http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/133265-purple-mists-crews/?do=findComment&comment=1084012

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I need a little help! 

I got my model order for this month, and there was a free dayglow purple Illuminated in it! 

Does anyone here have experience painting these dayglow models? I feel it's a betrayal of the model to paint over the whole thing... but I don't know what the heck to do with it otherwise.  

Any advice? 

10 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

I need a little help! 

I got my model order for this month, and there was a free dayglow purple Illuminated in it! 

Does anyone here have experience painting these dayglow models? I feel it's a betrayal of the model to paint over the whole thing... but I don't know what the heck to do with it otherwise.  

Any advice? 

I used a brush to apply primer to just the area's I wanted to paint. Also had some success applying thin glazes and washes directly over the areas I left translucent. 

• Like 1

WIP Zoraida:

KUPVgPz.jpg

I... I bought a stick of balsa wood. I mean... it's something, you know.

This month I would definitely like to use my mulligan :D I am currently finishing my thesis and have a lot of school related stuff as such.

BUT... I now have the necessary materials and also have a concept in mind for Zoraida's scenic base :)
And for upcoming months of MPC I bough Mysterious Effigy (on which I would like to try some new fabric effects and which is one of my most favorite models :) ) and Mr. Graves (on which I would like to focus on his suit).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1