Protec ya Neck

DonCheadle

Dear fellow Thunders,

I recently mulled over lists and fell upon an interaction that may have been obvious to some, and yet may prove to be used to tremendous effect. 

The interaction I'm speaking of is between Protection Money (currently found of Lotus Eaters and Crime Bosses, both of them good models in their own right) and Mighty Gust (an all time favourite). Using the latter's ability to pick up and place enemy scheme markers, we can place up to three scheme markers within 3 of the pushed model. Protection Money triggers on every place. 

The result is a maximum of 6 cards drawn on a regular activation, but this can theoretically be increased to 15 or even higher in a Shenlong crew. Of course this is the optimum count, and relies on the opponent placing ample markers, but we are likely to be using Mighty Gust anyways. The models included are good on their own. 

I think the greatest winners of this interaction are Shenlong and Lynch, the prior bring able to abuse this even further, and the latter getting go mulligan a total of 6 cards using Yu's 0 copy. Further ideas include Servant of 5 Dragons on the Crime Bosses to promptly remove all the markers placed.

What do you think? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

<picks jaw up of the floor>

Misaki with Wokou Raiders and their built in Drop It trigger and 0 action.

I'm finding no flaw, except for the lack of ways to generate enemy scheme markers on your own.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DonCheadle said:

I was thinking about that too. 

The fact that it's baked in makes it pretty easy to accomplish. 

Imagine your opponent trying to get rid of their own markers, hahahaha! 

You might already know this, but you can't actually remove friendly scheme markers with the (1) interact action that all models have access to. Your opponent is probably going to have a lot of trouble removing those markers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aionus and Bayou Smugglers can create enemy scheme markers cant they? Aionus can also move markers to trigger this ability and brings armor ignore, plus recalled training, fragile and the easily handed out focus present in TT means he can actually reliably hit those severes to bury people. I think i just talked myself into running Aionus TT when Yasunori exists, something is wrong with my brain, i think i will still try it though.

49 minutes ago, Nukemouse said:

Aionus and Bayou Smugglers can create enemy scheme markers cant they? Aionus can also move markers to trigger this ability and brings armor ignore, plus recalled training, fragile and the easily handed out focus present in TT means he can actually reliably hit those severes to bury people. I think i just talked myself into running Aionus TT when Yasunori exists, something is wrong with my brain, i think i will still try it though.

His marker movement thing is pushing them, not placing them.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:11 AM, santaclaws01 said:

His marker movement thing is pushing them, not placing them.

He actually has two 0s, one needs a 3:tome to place a marker 6" from its current location. It works on scheme markers. Midnight does only push, but thats friendly markers anyway, though with a 10:tome he can place an enemy scheme marker using that, could be worthwhile on the first turn to help set up for yu's pushing.

What do you think of this kinda list? 

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew

Asami Tanaka + 7 Pool

- A Heavenly Design (2)

- Bad Hair Day (1)

- Grasping Strands (1)

Kamaitachi (4)

Sensei Yu (9)

- Wandering River Style (2)

Katanaka Crime Boss (8)

- Hidden Agenda (0)

Mr. Tannen (6)

- Smoke Grenades (1)

Terracotta Warrior (6)

Obsidian Oni (6)

With all the card draw Asami will be able to summon a ton of Oni, and she can consume the markers to heal back up. I think she may just become our premiére pick in Marker heavy pools. 

EDIT: Since Terracotta Warriors cannot swap 0-cost upgrades, one is likely better served using Servant or RT (or even Equality) to begin with. 

• Like 2

I recently ran Shenlong solo in a tournament and I can say that 1st round against Titania, this was nuts. 

My opponent couldn't spam markers because of Crime Boss, but he had to put down one or two for his abilities, which meant card draw for me. 

There's not a huge amount of marker schemes, but the ones that do exist are perfect for this tactic. 

Guarded Treasure, Inescapable Trap, Dig their Graves and Setup all require some pretty nominal marker placement. Shenlong not only disrupts this heavily, but with the crime boss absolutely brings in some card advantage into an already high card advantage crew.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nukemouse said:

Remember Lotus Eaters also have this aura, not just Katanaka Crime Bosses.

Very true though their purpose is a bit counter to the concept. Lotus Eater wants to consume those markers, not let them linger. Not saying you can't order of activations it, but if you need to activate the lotus eater earlier to heal it or reposition and pop aggressive stance, that's one less marker for the "combo". Katanaka doesn't care about markers other than to draw cards from. 

Still a solid option, just a different application. I really like Lotus Eaters and have been looking at them lately more and more.  The couple of times I've run them has been solid. They are pretty decent into Lilith for denying schemes and surviving longer than they should, thanks to Lilith being 5WP.  Nekima's AP is normally wasted on them, so it works out ok.

They are surprisingly fast. I just have been moving away from models that are under 7ss lately in 10T.  I need to bounce back the other way for some testing. I've just been having a lot of success with 7 activation crews that are more elite. 

Also, a note on saturation, the bubble only triggers once regardless of how many bubbles.  So a marker dropped by two crime bosses or a boss and an eater still only gets 1 card.  So if you are thinking of brining multiple auras, space em out to prevent overlay and maximize coverage. :D 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2018 at 12:04 AM, DonCheadle said:

What do you think of this kinda list? 

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew

Asami Tanaka + 7 Pool

- A Heavenly Design (2)

- Bad Hair Day (1)

- Grasping Strands (1)

Kamaitachi (4)

Sensei Yu (9)

- Wandering River Style (2)

Katanaka Crime Boss (8)

- Hidden Agenda (0)

Mr. Tannen (6)

- Smoke Grenades (1)

Terracotta Warrior (6)

Obsidian Oni (6)

With all the card draw Asami will be able to summon a ton of Oni, and she can consume the markers to heal back up. I think she may just become our premiére pick in Marker heavy pools. 

EDIT: Since Terracotta Warriors cannot swap 0-cost upgrades, one is likely better served using Servant or RT (or even Equality) to begin with. 

Borrowed time already lets her summon tons of oni and not bringing at least one of our oni beaters seems a shame with her 1ap charges.