GenCon 2017

dancater

Well GenCon newsletter arrived in my in-box

https://www.wyrd-games.net/specials?utm_source=Wyrd+Games+Newsletter&utm_campaign=9cdc7eea8b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_08_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b5e6c20880-9cdc7eea8b-61025157&mc_cid=9cdc7eea8b&mc_eid=ea391d161e

Some really anticipated releases in general, NB gets some Alt-sculpts.

For us Unionists we get:

• Kandara, looks interesting, the render has the rounded face which looks slightly swollen and seems to be more common in recent Wyrd renders.... I'll give the model 6/10.  I'll likely get it because well Arcanist and Gamin.
  • The Union Steamfitters, look really solid as models, looks like 2 ladies and a man, I'll be interested to see the model scale in comparison to other figures, is the middle model small or the other two really bulky, I like the idea of a couple of big broad steam workers used to doing the heavy lifting, particularly as one of them is clearly a woman and able to lug the heavy gear.... for me 7-8/10 depending on the Wyrd bugbear of scaling which sometimes crops up (although mostly with mounted and kneeling models and this box contains neither), still get it... Arcanist..

Overall with other August releases for the faction it looks like an expensive but not wallet breaking GenCon-August and I might even roam cross faction and/or grab a Tarot Deck, we'll see.  But already sold on Curiosity and got to admit I'm hungering for the Alt-Hungering Darkness, that model actually looks as threatening and terrifying as I imagined it always should.

• Like 2

I'm definitely grabbing Kandara, the Steamfitters, and Amina, and probably the Tarot deck too depending on if we can see what the actual cards look like first or not.  Trying to convince my group to help split up the upgrade box between different faction users too so we can get using them nice and quick!

I really dislike Kandara's and the Katanaka Crime Bosses' enormous heroic scale weapons and hands.

Tanuki are very cute.

Also worried about the scale of the Steamfitters.

Huggy is a huge improvement over the sperm. Nekima also looks better, but one can't help wonder how large the model will end up being. :P 

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

If you're playing Marcus, Grootsland from the Neverborn is also a possibility for arcanists as it is a Beast. What are your impressions on this model? The Lair Marker mechanic might be useful for squatters rights.

It seems like it would be useful in anytime you need the ability to shift from one side of the board to the other.

I'm looking at what I think was the next to the last version of the PDF and it looks like while you start the game with three lair markers, you can add additional lair markers with a zero action and a corpse or scrap marker. You could pretty easily have the Grootslang able to be in any of the quadrants for Interference or jump between Stash markers in Guard the Stash. 

I'd have to drop some markers on the table but I think if he placed his  three markers correctly along the centerline (on his side of it of course) he'd be be able to cover majority of the area of for claim jumper without having to leave base to base contact with the lair marker. I'm pretty sure a fourth one might give him almost total coverage if you could get a scrap or corpse marker in just the right spot. He's also able to cover alot of ground to defend against Leave Your Mark, that one would probably require him to leave his lair though.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, retnab said:

There was an open beta for the new models a month or so ago, so it's based on that info (though we don't know if there's been any changes since what we last saw).

Of all the Arcanist stuff from the beta, the only thing I really hope they change is Neil Henry's "Half Buried" trigger on his main attack. It seems like it's just a harder to trigger version of the Rail Worker's "Pin" trigger.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, Gnomezilla said:

Nellie came out ok as a model and she definitely had the round cheeked render, so I'm pretty confident there (if not in Nellie's ability to hold onto either her base or her quill for long). Renders just look weird and lumpy and I have to learn to compensate for that.

They've actually changed the Kandara render from the one that was originally there when the newsletter went out. The new one is much less baby-faced and has a nose-ring and expression to match the art. Big improvement, although the huge daggers are still goofy looking.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:00 AM, Bengt said:

I really dislike Kandara's and the Katanaka Crime Bosses' enormous heroic scale weapons and hands.

Tanuki are very cute.

Also worried about the scale of the Steamfitters.

Huggy is a huge improvement over the sperm. Nekima also looks better, but one can't help wonder how large the model will end up being. :P 

Alt Nekima size reference, Alt Hungering Darkness is in the album too:

• Like 3