Brass Arachnid on 30mm? How does that fit?

WWHSD

The Brass Arachnid is somewhat infamous for being way too big for its base. I know some people have based it so that it is climbing a wall on the 30mm like this: http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/xandersk8r/media/BrassArachnidWIP002_zps734363cf.jpg.html.

Personally, I switched out its giant legs for the legs of one of my Steam Arachnids, leaving it looking a lot more like it did in 1E. This is an image of someone's Brass Arachnid from 1E, which looks similar to the 2E one with steam arachnid legs:

archanists-brassarachnid2.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah

The simple answer is it doesn't.

Early Wyrd plastics were notoriously difficult to assemble and problematic in size/scale.  It has improved vastly but many memes exist concerning Wyrd models.  The Brass Arachnid was notable among these models for its ridiculous size compared to the tiny base on which it was supposed to fit, call it a modelers challenge.  

• Like 1

I'm steadily working through all my old metals and replacing them with plastics.  There's not much left for me to do now, probably less then ten models (not counting a few Steam Arachnids), and the one I'm least looking forward to is my old metal Brass Arachnid.  I love that little guy. :/

6 hours ago, dancater said:

Early Wyrd plastics were notoriously difficult to assemble and problematic in size/scale.  It has improved vastly but many memes exist concerning Wyrd models.  The Brass Arachnid was notable among these models for its ridiculous size compared to the tiny base on which it was supposed to fit, call it a modelers challenge.  

Has it really improved? I mean, we still get stuff like the Jorogumo or the Shadow Emissary rather frequently it seems.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

And was it really that many early models? Howard and Skeeters are also too large, what other early models are there? And should one count things like the Ice Golem that are easy to attach to a base but bulge over the edges?

16 minutes ago, Bengt said:

And was it really that many early models? Howard and Skeeters are also too large, what other early models are there? And should one count things like the Ice Golem that are easy to attach to a base but bulge over the edges?

There are lots of models whose scale is out of whack but not many that are large enough to cause problems with basing.

9 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

What is that you've mounted the spider on?

Just some foam modeling stuff (I forget the name of the stuff, but people use it with hot tools to cut and shape) that I shaped into something that fit the legs of my spiders and then painted. I'll also admit that I didn't put the legs on 100% correct, but since I shaped it to fit me it didn't matter. there are 4 legs on the foam "rock", 1 back leg that stretches all the way to the base and 3 legs in the air.

13 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Has it really improved? I mean, we still get stuff like the Jorogumo or the Shadow Emissary rather frequently it seems.

I think it has improved broadly, the assembly recently seems generally less nightmarish (aside from the appropriately named Nightmare McCabe).

Equally the general models seem a bit more, constrained... perhaps is the word.  But 100% agree the problems and outliers are still notable (Joru, Guild Cav, etc) but I think overall the direction is improved.  Of course Wyrd, plastics in particular, has always walked the fine line between visually dynamic and extravagant vs game playable with their models, it is one of the attractions and negatives, not sure there is a line between the insane model and the game ready piece that would please everyone but for my collection I've felt that recent models have improved some of playability which is my (emphasis my) preference and in my (emphasis my) experience.

But yeah improved, not solved.  Assuming the community would even agree on a solution.