Musings on the Ripples Rezzers

AgentRock

She looks ok to me. Horses do vary quite a lot in size after all. Likewise Ht is kind of all over the place, even for models that aren't obvious scaling mistakes.

Does Reva's cloak cover the horse's flank on the opposite side as well? Cause MLPs are supposed to have icons there, right? :P 

Oh man I had to retype this comment many times, as even my chaotic nature warned me to go full bananas this time. I tend to ignore Nathan's lure for a comment that can bring me in BIG trouble. This time.

- - -

1 hour ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

I very much expect some players to paint Reva's mount as Twilight Sparkle.

Nightmare moon fits the bill much more for Ressers. Accidently the paint job above already came close to home in that regard.

nightmare_moon_by_hankofficer-d5cce3h.pn

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Heh. 

My mind is chaotic sometimes. I just had to burst out that I had an off comment to soothe my itch instead of blurping it this time. I'm already thankful that you are somewhat lax to some of my... ... comments, so I don't want to push the button this time. ... ... :(

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

She's fine, she's a slight, small woman who scales fine with the rest of the line. 

The horse isn't a 20 hand high clydesdale, and doesn't need to be. Horse, believe it or not, come in varying sizes - this from someone who owned, road, rodeoed and barrel ran them in his much younger years. 

Just to add to Nathan's post, it was also common for horses ridden by women to be selected from smaller breeds.

A small women astride (or more correctly side saddle) a small horse wouldn't be that much taller than a tall man  (say 6') standing next to her. Just to put the numbers out there a 14 hand Quarter Horse or American Paint is 4' 8" at the shoulders (about the same level as the rider would be in a saddle), the average height of a seated women (seated erect) is about 2' 9" tall, adding the two together would only place the top of the woman's head at 7' 5" above the ground.

Also worth considering that the average height of people during the Victorian age was significantly shorter than it is today so you could probably subtract an inch or two from that guess. If she was astride a shorter breed (somewhat likely for a women from means) then again you could subtract 4 to 8 inches (1-2 hands) from the estimate. This would put her right about even with a tall man standing next to her and the horse.

Now if she was astride a Clydesdale then yes she would be much taller than most everything around her (6 more hands equals about 24 inches), however those were primarily draft animals (even today) and not generally used for riding (they are uncomfortable to say the least).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

this from someone who owned, road, rodeoed and barrel ran them in his much younger years. 

Speaking for, I'm sure pretty much everyone... how has this experience not made it's way into some crazy Malifaux crew, scenario and/or terrain yet? Next year's Nightmare crew? C'mon, something!! Rodeo Levi and his 4 Horsewomen and/or Men of the Cowpocalypse? 

• Like 1

so guys what do you think about Draugr. On the first glance he seem kinda expensive, but more I look at him more i like him. Im thinking about hiring one in to my Kirai crew instead of Sebastian(my problem with him is i just can utilize him in later turns and canine remains -  soulstone generator is not very reliable) making it Ht1 first turn for zero attach another purpose upg to my night terror which i use for summoning and then walk possibly drop scheme marker for philip. later in the turn i can summon night terror from draugr then summon from upgraded night terror - potencionaly killing it, getting soulstone and healing draugr. next turn i can choose ht 3 for beatstick protected by malevolence or other hights for (0) usage. Still im not sure if he is worthed 8ss, even considering this flexibility.

3 hours ago, Rob Lo said:

Speaking for, I'm sure pretty much everyone... how has this experience not made it's way into some crazy Malifaux crew, scenario and/or terrain yet? Next year's Nightmare crew? C'mon, something!! Rodeo Levi and his 4 Horsewomen and/or Men of the Cowpocalypse? 

My wallet shrieks in mortal terror at the thought of how much four alt sculpts of the horsemen would run, let alone Levi and the Belles.

26 minutes ago, nishi said:

so guys what do you think about Draugr. On the first glance he seem kinda expensive, but more I look at him more i like him. Im thinking about hiring one in to my Kirai crew instead of Sebastian(my problem with him is i just can utilize him in later turns and canine remains -  soulstone generator is not very reliable) making it Ht1 first turn for zero attach another purpose upg to my night terror which i use for summoning and then walk possibly drop scheme marker for philip. later in the turn i can summon night terror from draugr then summon from upgraded night terror - potencionaly killing it, getting soulstone and healing draugr. next turn i can choose ht 3 for beatstick protected by malevolence or other hights for (0) usage. Still im not sure if he is worthed 8ss, even considering this flexibility.

It's hard to tell because of all the implications of his stuff. Right now I'm looking forward to him in Molly as a Ht 1 pest that sucks the opponent's hand dry between either an extra AP or reactivate, but I don't have a good read on him outside of that. Trollskap looks pretty interesting, but I feel like Ht1 or Ht3 are going to be my go-to most of the time, either pernicious pest or beatstick.

11 hours ago, Bengt said:

Anyone care to take a photo of her next to some reference models? 

too%2Bsmall.jpg

The above picture is of a converted McCabe horse. But for all relevant size comparisons it hasn't changed...

9 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

She's fine, she's a slight, small woman who scales fine with the rest of the line. 

The horse isn't a 20 hand high clydesdale, and doesn't need to be. Horse, believe it or not, come in varying sizes - this from someone who owned, road, rodeoed and barrel ran them in his much younger years. 

7 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

While Dustin put a lot more effort into explaining it, it just comes down to 'smaller horse', slight woman. :)

Grew up on a horse stud with everything from Shetlands, Arabs, Quarter Horses, Warmbloods and even a grouchy old Clydesdale, Not to mention my mum is quite a tiny woman and she was the one that rode them, trained them etc. Mate the horse is horrifically small and Reva is also disconcertingly tiny, especially when you compare her to Vince the Beef-Cake.

Honestly disappointed with Reva, love the rest of the box, but if she was timesed by like 110%-115% she would be spot on. But that horse is too damn small.... Like it honestly looks like a yearling or some such. Also if the fluff is anything to go by and that horse is the one her and Vince bolted on...not a chance in hell it would of carried both of them.

Also if you look at the back of box renders...the size looks pretty spot on...but it just doesn't come across on the models :/

Just my 2 cents gang.

14 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Nathan Caroland alt-Lone Marshal when?

7 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

They're essentially the spirit version of Punk Zombies, though I don't know if they are as good. I know my Molly list is going to appreciate not only having Shikome and hanged as her high end summons.

well they seem pretty strong to me as summons. When i consider I can summon them and then charge something with adversary getting positive flip and ignoring armor, that can come pretty handy

22 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Hell, I'd have to be riding a Shire or a Percheron not to break the poor fellas back these days, and they would just as likely drag my arse across the country as soon as allow my non graceful attempt at hopping up. :P

Well, at least the opponent would be confused and pause for a while, while the rest of the Crew could seize the opportunity. Just also grab a bag of schememarkers, you could empty while being dragged and you will be the MVP that game!

There really are really small horses out there. But I think that that is kinda beside the point. I was hoping that Reva would look imposing and scary and impressive. Like a Master! But with the tiny horse she looks rather silly. Which is a great shame as she was one of my favourite renders of the entire wave.

Now, I'm sure that we'll see MLP joke paintjobs and such and some people are going to love that but I was never a big fan of that scene.

And while we're in the topic of Wave 4 Resser aesthetics - Shieldbearers using "broken swords and shields discarded by the Guildsmen" is weird-weird-weird. Those are anime weaponry where you have a door and call it a sword or a shield depending on whether it's made of metal or wood. Really don't understand their look at all.

• Like 2