What is Montresor use?

Blacks85

I'm trying to figure out how unbalanced this model is.

I believe is underpowered in every possible way:

• Definitively easy to kill: only 8 wounds, almost no WP and none defensive ability at all. Terrifying is not even all...just living.
  • Definitively no dmg output: with MI / SH 6 is extremely hard to trigger moderate / severe.
  • Paradoxical mechanics: it works pulling everyone to himself to throw AOE damage and stuffs like that...but it's incredibly fragile so it's basically suiciding itself doing that

The only very good part is the extreme mobility...but what is the purpose considering it has no DMG and survivability?

Was it designed to run away from everything? :-)

I'm just wondering why shall I include in my crew....rather having a cool Frankestein in my crew !

• Like 1

While I certainly won't try and defend him as I also think he's over priced for what he can do. His mechanics fight against him and are rarely worth the risk, he's paper thin, his triggers are easily negated/need extra setup in order to work and he's still only average speed despite having nimble due to his awful Wk4. He does however have a few things going for him and with the right support, you can get some decent milage out of him. 

First off his damage, while being extremely swingy, it does support a very impressive severe. Being with Daw, he does have some decent methods of upping his chances of hitting that severe. First being Envy, who in all likelihood will likely use it on himself. The second option is Popa Loco who can give him dynamite giving him positives on all his damage flips. Even just focusing is often what I do since he can still move via nimble. It's better off getting one attack with severe damage than trying two un-modified attacks as even a best case scenario of two moderates is only slightly better than one severe, but is more likely to hit a weak.  

The -1Wp is actually pretty good if you take things that can take advantage of it. Models such as Daw, the Hanged, Bishop and even the nothing beast can make use of this aura. With all the horror models available, increasing the TN even by 1 can make a significant difference. This does however mean you need to play him close to the action and we all know how well that goes for Monty...

I actually had his paralyze trigger get me out of some tough spots before. It's not really something Outcasts have a ton of access too and it can catch people off guard. It's also one of the only ways to keep him safe while doing his base contact schtick.

Lastly, you can have Daw borrow his comfort in fear ability to stack it with Monty's, making anyone unlucky enough to be in range of both to suffer 4 damage for passing a horror duel. Thats significant enough damage that many models would actually prefer to fail and loose their activation. 

This has been the best ways I've gotten any success out of Monty. Again it's not ideal and it requires additional models in order to pull off, but if you really want to get him to work, this is probably your best bet.

I agree Jordon. 

You can make some spectacular things with him IF you can chain around 5-6 other IF :P

And even IF is the case, you need to build a crew around him to try get something out of it.... :huh:

I will give him a try this week end...the best thing that came over my head is the +4 armor I can give him with a nurse...and then throw it in the fight praying it would be enough to see another activation :D

Still definitively overpriced, Wyrd please bring him down to 7 SS or give him some defensive stuff

First game with him got accidental awesome use, fired into melee to pull a cerberus away from jd, sue, and the child....pulled sue instead. Basically saving sue and setting up for an insane flank where jd ghosted into marcus's face and sue came to support. After that i just scheme ran with monty.

Me and my friend did theorize that pandora might be a good place for him, damned if you do damned if you don't. 

6 hours ago, SlackerLM said:

I really believe that when they moved from 1.5 to 2e and "promoted " Jack to a master, they split him in 2 and then still Cuddled him. 

Or I can just be salty at all the power creep that Gremlins and the Thunders seem to have...:huh:

That's probably completely true. Jack in first edition was a complete and utter nightmare to kill and probably earnt his owner 1 VP every game you didn't kill him. I remember having entire crews spend all activations against just him, and still not killing him. 

The public beta did try and use the hand as a wound counter for him again, but it never quite worked.

I can see how difficult his previous Oldest Magics wouldn't work without Levi draw. I feel (still a little salty here:blast) that Jack is missing something defensive on his card. Oldest Magic looks decent, until a punk zombie comes in and hibachis him.  Or Yan Lo becomes Armor 2 and Incorporeal (so much for the Ghost of Malifaux) for no better reason than he thinks he's DBZ... 

Nope, still really salty...:blast:blast^_^

• 1 month later...
On 04/07/2016 at 4:37 AM, SlackerLM said:

I really believe that when they moved from 1.5 to 2e and "promoted " Jack to a master, they split him in 2 and then still Cuddled him. 

Or I can just be salty at all the power creep that Gremlins and the Thunders seem to have...:huh:

Excuse the dumb question - but I see the phrase cuddled a fair bit on these forums yet have no idea what it means! What DOES it mean?

16 minutes ago, apes-ma said:

Excuse the dumb question - but I see the phrase cuddled a fair bit on these forums yet have no idea what it means! What DOES it mean?

The word filter changes the word n€rf into cuddle. It's a bit annoying but I guess that people find it endlessly amusing for some reason.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

The word filter changes the word n€rf into cuddle. It's a bit annoying but I guess that people find it endlessly amusing for some reason.

Ooooh, I see! Well that clears that up I guess. I can't type a longer response - I need to go and cuddle a puppy.

Ha.

I'm not an expert using Jack Daw's crew but having Ligeia near him he's quite tough.

If I remember well, he has a 1/4/7 attack. If your opponent cannot cheat, it could easily be a great hit.

And without cheating, having a Df 14 duel for everyone b2b with him could be hard too. It would be just 2 damage, but it's "for free". Maybe leaving him for the last activation and pulling some models is not such a bad idea.

45 minutes ago, t4zz said:

I'm not an expert using Jack Daw's crew but having Ligeia near him he's quite tough.

If I remember well, he has a 1/4/7 attack. If your opponent cannot cheat, it could easily be a great hit.

And without cheating, having a Df 14 duel for everyone b2b with him could be hard too. It would be just 2 damage, but it's "for free". Maybe leaving him for the last activation and pulling some models is not such a bad idea.

The problem is...Ligeia explodes !

She has 3 Wounds....and only DF 6.

For 4 SS? Too weak...Even if you engage and pull with montresor, they can move around your 3 Ml radius and hit the ligeia

..Was going to take Montressor lastnight for a 35 point game.. but then i realised i could have Ligeia and Johan for roughly the same ss cost... 

I believe he has his place in some lists.. would like to try a nurse roidin' him up so his 1/4/7 becomes 3/6/9... - apply this on a cursed model for the +1 damage and its an insane 4/7/10...

Ligeia though; absolutely broken when you can throw her into a melee mid game. I'm generally shielding her till i can pull off that beautiful turn where she affects 2+ models and i hammer them with attacks and twist and turn affects. DF 6 is high for a model though and if you shield her well and slot her into a combat then chances are shes not going to get hit. 
I think because of how dangerous she is, she gets focussed down extremely quickly.