Nicknames

Phinn

In college, one of my roommates was a meticulously organized sort, and I am pretty much the exact opposite.  During that semester we were taking Thermodynamics and when we began learning about entropy, the measure of the amount of disorder in a system, he took to calling me Entropy Man - Harbinger of the Eventual Heat Death of the Universe.  Naturally, I embraced the mantle.  Over time it evolved in to Entropolous as my standard username.

• Like 1

Uktena is a mythological creature. It's an antlered snake. Thunderbirds or similar legends are typically credited with their extermination and they may serve to justify some early fossil discoveries. They show up in the Werewolf RPG as a totem and a playable character faction.

• Like 2

I used to go by the nickname Diesel for years. Goes back to my first ever American football training camp - I was lead blocking against a veteran cornerback, and hit him so hard he went one way, his helmet went another and one of his boots went over my shoulder. He was lying there concussed singing a line from a song about a 'diesel train' and it stuck.

Unfortunately for me someone else calling themselves Diesel started playing Warhammer about the same time I did, and after a 6 month campaign by his mates I gave up and 'rebranded'. I've always driven big old German cars that I called Panzers, so named myself after my car...

Uktena is a mythological creature. It's an antlered snake. Thunderbirds or similar legends are typically credited with their extermination and they may serve to justify some early fossil discoveries. They show up in the Werewolf RPG as a totem and a playable character faction.

Yeah, WoD! (I'm excited for the new Werewolf! Should come out soon.)

I've always driven big old German cars that I called Panzers, so named myself after my car...

That's mildly offensive, as Panzer doesn't do a German car justice. I always call them Schlachtschiff, meaning battle ship. It just the way they handle on the street.

• Like 1

Name name is a cross between player experiences and a Yu Gi Oh 5Ds character. Jack Atlas from Yu Gi Oh (a game I used to play competitively) refers to himself as the Master of Faster where as my deck's tended to be somewhat slow but heavy hitting. This often lead to me getting smashed before my combo's could work out so I became known as the Master of Disaster... then eventually MasterDisaster when I started playing Malifaux and got crushed pretty hard, pretty regularly for the first month or two with my only Master at the time. 

That's mildly offensive, as Panzer doesn't do a German car justice. I always call them Schlachtschiff, meaning battle ship. It just the way they handle on the street.

My last one was a W202 Mercedes C-Class that was surprisingly nimble for such a big lump of steel.

There are aircraft carriers with better turning circles than the current Volvo S60 though (I know it's not German, but hey, the nickname now means me more than the cars!).

• Like 1

I kind of gave up nicknames when I moved to Malifaux as my main game and just use my given name now.  I was "wildcard" on other forums before that - I got the name due to adding a 61st card into otherwise competitive M:tG decks - technically making them worse, but its amazing how often that wildcard paid off.

I have been Richard deValmont now for more years than I care to remember. I got 'deValmont' as a nickname due to my reputation at university, based upon the scheming lothario character in Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Laclos. It stuck when I used it as my stage name for many years, my real name not being very rock and roll.

Many years ago I used the nickname Devilchild, however once I got my first car (Citroen Saxo 1.1 Furio) I switched to this on car forums, and then kinda decided that calling my self Devilchild when I was an adult might be a bit childish, I started using Furio everywhere.

Him diamond.

<3 Terry Pratchett

As for me, the name has two links

Firstly, I'm quite tall and spindly, so it just sort of fits.

Secondly, Spindle is a character from The Malazan Book of the Fallen, a series by Steven Erikson, who rates highly among my favourite authors.

• Like 1

I like to play Rodians in Star Wars games. The name started when I used to play a bunch of capture the flag games online back when Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast first came out. One of the skins you could download was a cool tattooed Sith Rodian, and one of the Sith powers you could use was Rage, and I thought The Raging Rodian had a cool ring to it. 

Rumors that I have been spotting raging in real life are grossly exaggerated. Lies and fabrications I tell you!

By the way, this was a really cool idea for a thread. I have enjoyed reading everyone's stories. 

Mine is quite obvious: Captain Flint from Stevenson's Treasure Island. When i was a kid i loved this book. Flint there was only mentioned but i liked all this mystery which was surrounding him even after his death (maybe especially after his death). Why Flint as my nick? I work on ship. And i plan to be captain someday.

By the way, on ship crew is commanded by master (master is a function, captain is more like a title). Sounds familiar?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted people to think I am a pretentious neckbeard. /rawr

I have a small group of dedicated gamers I work with and we are away for long periods of time and literally have nothing else to do so we game all the time.

Also, I can admit that I am a bit of a closet gamer. I really hate and reject the stigma associated with any kind of geekdom which is unfortunate because I really like to game the f*ck out (gtfo?... no wait). I am also active in a wide range of competitive extreme physical activities and when people eventually find out that I'm a secret geek its always the same reaction "I cant believe your a geek!" - most unfortuante when that comes from a lady. :/

No reason a person can't do both gamer conventions and tough mudders. :(

• Like 2

I goofed up one of the first emails I wrote, and just sent a subject line with no body. It went out to a decent-sized group, and someone immediately wrote back with "What's up with the bodiless post?" I was extremely skinny in those days so the name stuck. :) I've used that as my online handle ever since. 

• Like 2