New factions?

AoS

If I was coming up with a new faction, I'd go for descendants of survivors from the first settling of the city. They'd be low-tech, tribal from generations of living in hiding from neverborn who hunted them. Live in deep parts of the sewers or caves in the mountains.

Actually that'd make a pretty good outcast crew too...

• Like 2

As for proper sea pirates, I echo the sentiment of others in this thread that the world of Malifaux doesn't really feature ocean travel at the moment...but then, we've only explored a very small part of the world, the city and its surrounding environs, with the edges being the Bayou, the mountains, and the river. There's a wide world out there, and I'm excited to see it explored, but I really don't think we need new factions to do it.

I forget which story, but I am pretty sure Molly mentions going out on the ocean (before her meeting with Seamus, of coruse).

If I was coming up with a new faction, I'd go for descendants of survivors from the first settling of the city. They'd be low-tech, tribal from generations of living in hiding from neverborn who hunted them. Live in deep parts of the sewers or caves in the mountains.

Actually, that's a theory of what Gremlins are. So, you may have your wish.

I would rather see new factions (in time of course) than the current factions lose their identities with concept bloat.

Yeah, of those two options, I'd definitely prefer the former after seeing Warmachine start to feel really generic as everyone got variants of the same options and with 40k and a million different variants on Space Marines that got their own books, but I haven't felt like all the dual faction cross-pollination has done that, so I'm feeling pretty confident that Wyrd's got a good sense of that.

<snip>

1)  Define the core themes of the game (aka: design limitations; you don't want My Little Pony showing up in Warhammer 40k as an example)

<snip>

You have obviously not seen the power armored, all bike cavalry, my little pony space marine army that someone converted....

I will have to do some looking to find some pics... epic

*And now back to your regularly scheduled discussion*

SpiralingCadaver Warmachine was actually the game I was thinking about when I wrote the above post.

A "character driven" should really strive to maintain that and endlessly adding to the existing factions will make that more and more difficult. Especially without hiring limitations.

Yeah... I feel like it was around the turn to 2nd edition when PP somehow managed to simultaneously watering down themes too much (everyone getting skirmishing shooting units and large multiwound units, for instance) and pigeonholing their army themes (yet another Stormnoun...). I'm a little worried about Wyrd falling into the same bloat, but 2nd edition so far has been free of it in my opinion, with the closest problem being a few instances where a faction has too many similar choices that compete with each other, in my opinion. They've managed to make multiple poison themes unique, for instance, so I feel like the variety is pretty healthy.

Regarding characters, that has me a little worried, too, but I've always felt like Wyrd's ability to represent character through rules has been strong, and they've done a good job at least covering the masters and a large number of henchmen. I'm less concerned if supporting characters don't necessarily get the spotlight- for instance, I don't lose sleep over not knowing Willie's backstory...

I'm less concerned if supporting characters don't necessarily get the spotlight- for instance, I don't lose sleep over not knowing Willie's backstory...

Speak for yourself...I'm expecting the next major book to be "Malifaux: The Book of Willie."

But I actually think one area of possible expansion is in new characterful/thematic enforcers and henchmen. Wyrd could use them to add more thematic character, and to tell the story of masters from the outside perspective.

The 2nd Breach opened up 5 years after the 1st closed if memory serves. Not sure what species you are thinking of but humans can't create "generations" in 5 years  :D

Unless of course you are referring to the original inhabitants of Malifaux, those that predate the Breach opening the first time?

I think they should just do alt versions of existing Masters (eg. Pirate Perdita with her scurvey Ortega crew)

:D

I can already feel comments like this: "yeah like alternative model of 'insert your favorite master that is not out yet'. the one that is not imaginary"

I think there should be the following new factions:

Blue Gremlins
Red Gremlins
Green Gremlins with dresses
Red Gremlins with spikes and horns
Yellow Gremlins
Pink Gremlins with boobs and tentacles
Black Gremlins with crosses
Grey Gremlins with wolf pelts
Offwhite Gremlins on bikes
Black Gremlins with yellow eyes
Grey Gremlins with glowy halberds
Blue & Yellow Gremlins
Green bloated Gremlins
DIY Gremlins

I think they should just do alt versions of existing Masters (eg. Pirate Perdita with her scurvey Ortega crew)

I like the idea of alternate Dual Faction boxsets. Like Lucius with a Mimic crew and an alternate pose, or a Zoraida Gremlin.

But yeah, Dead Justice has me wanting other kinds of Nightmare Editions like it.

• Like 2

I don't know a great deal of background for the Malifaux world, but I can't see how Pirates in the traditional sense will fit with the fluff?

Are there any large bodies of water?  I thought there was only the river and the immediate surroundings discovered already, and I would have thought the Guild would have a pretty good stranglehold on any traffic on that. 

Just as no one seams to have answered you on this - yes, in one of Molly's stories it talks about her taking a voyage on one of the sea's in Malifaux. Plus who knows what runs under Malifaux - maybe some of the sewers are large enough to sail a boat in. 

• Like 1