Confused about M2E Hoarcat Pride

Taodark

So after getting my Children of December box set and putting it together and playing a couple games I decided to make my next purchase.  Seeing a box for Hoarcat Pride I grabbed it as my next thing.  I get home and open the box and was immediately confused.  There were three cats in the box on a single sprue, but three 40mm bases.  These things look small even on a 30mm base why would they have a 40mm.  So I run to the interwebs to see if I can figure it out and I see the old model had all three cats on a single base.  Ok that makes sense, but then why three bases.  An to add to the confusion I see three different stat cards for the model with a picture per card for each of the cat variants.  Very much like I got the Ice Gamin.  One model per base per card.  So what gives.  For a brand new to the game player this is SUPER confusing.  An I can't seem to find any offical statement from Wyrd on if things changed in 2E and they used to be on 40mm but now are on 30mm?

Was the box mis-packet and should have had three sprues and not one?

Is it a group of three on one base?

1 per base and it's just a large base?

If the later is it in the rules that I can use a smaller base to represent the model (most games I have played in the past say you can't change base size but these things look pretty ridiculous on 40mm at the size these cats are.

But then why the three cards?  Is it normal for Malifaux boxes to come with extra cards you will never need?  I mean I could understand miss pack if it was three of the exact same card.  Then I would be like Oh they must have got stuck together some how, but these are three different pictures on three different cards.  Wyrd clearly made them this way.

The general concensus (as this question has been asked a few times) is that you have a choice to either base them together (although it's a bit squished) or you can base them separately and Wyrd kindly supplied you three cards, as the box is quite expensive for a single model.

• 4 weeks later...

That is confusing. I've looked at the rulebook and my interpretation would be that you can field three Hoar cat prides represented by a single cat on a 40mm base as (unlike for example the steam arachnids) there isn't an option for single and group models. It just says 40mm base hoarcat pride in the book. I reckon that's why you have 3 cards and 3 bases. It doesn't say anywhere that you need multiple models on a single base. 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a box yesterday, 3 cards and 3 bases. I'm struggling with what to do with them myself but I *do* believe they're packaged like that intentionally as all three cards have a different photo on them. Why make three separate cards if that isn't an intended possible use?....especially when the Alt flesh construct didn't even get it's own artwork.  :angry: 

I may pick up a second box and do 2 per base. That should keep me covered either way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...