Wyrd at Gen Con 2014

CaseyJ

Well no one else's had. so why would hers? also, all of her rules are still either magician or showgirly. So why would they have not also changed. My real hope is that they put such a meh piece of artwork up for her so they can release a nightmare showgirl box. And I would gladly pay up to $200ish to avoid having to use the Colette based on that artwork.

Her outfit consists of; a lace up low cut top, short frilly skirt higher at the front than the back, suspenders, and presumably heels.  I'd bet we wouldn't even be having this conversation if the outfit was coloured pink and not grey.

If you look past the colour and look at the detail of the picture you'll see it should be fairly easy to paint those in a more show-girl style.

• Like 2

Her outfit consists of; a lace up low cut top, short frilly skirt higher at the front than the back, suspenders, and presumably heels.  I'd bet we wouldn't even be having this conversation if the outfit was coloured pink and not grey.

Certainly not, because then you couldn't be going on about how you can paint her more flamboyant than the pic ;)

If you look past the colour and look at the detail of the picture you'll see it should be fairly easy to paint those in a more show-girl style.

I can look past the colour (which isn't grey but blue, btw - at least on my monitor) and what we have is a plain girl with goggles. Not a stage magician Master. It's a boring model. Sure, you can paint crazy freehands on it, but that you can do on a cardboard box and it will end up looking interesting. That's not how you gauge whether a sculpt is boring or not.

I can deal with Colette. As stated previously, i see that as her "smugler/trader" appearance rather than show/stage guise. The metal minis are still awesome (and available i guess), so it gives an option for looks.

It's Ironsides that looks off to me...she seems small for the titan she is on the table...i expected a kind of Xena, wrestlemania style. Maybe the image doesn't give us her scale though, but the proportions don't hint like she'd be able to punch Mr. Graves down or suffer a full auto round from Fuhatsu and laugh about it.

Colette is so iconic for Malifaux a new sculpt was always going to be a bit of a no win situation IMHO.

Ignoring the colour choice on the art she's dressed fairly similarly to the other showgirls we've seen. Painted as a showgirl it looks to me like she'll fit in well amongst the the other girls. Plus we haven't seen the actual model yet.

I like that she has the...I'd say garter belts, but I'm not sure what they're called when they're on the dress proper...going on in the front of her dress there. 

Overall, I like the new art for her.  I can see it being very easy to get her painted and into a crew with her showgirls so she looks like she belongs with them, and it's something different that still looks like Colette.  I mean, for someone that thrives on illusion and manipulations, being the one person that runs around Malifaux dressed like a magician hooker is pretty high profile.  :P

I mean, for someone that thrives on illusion and manipulations, being the one person that runs around Malifaux dressed like a magician hooker is pretty high profile

And thus you miss the first point of illusion. Anyway..last summer I got the old metal set. I thought to myself "the new Colette may or may not be good, but I know this one is, so I have no reason to wait". And it paid off.  As I said in the New Art thread...she's not a magician. She's not burlesque show owner and a star. She's a goth chick with her boyfriend's "steampunk" goggles on cause it looks cute. And if she truly were to be in her "smuggler" attire, I'd expect clothes that protect her legs instead of lacy skirt and something on her shoulders to keep her warm in the catacombs of Malifaux- just like they did with Raspy, who is no longer wearing stockings and flashing her legs but rather has the cloak wrapper around her. Or at least not flash her push-up at everyone. I'm sorry, it's a very nice gothy cosplayer mini, but it's not a malifaux mini.

• Like 1

The color isn't what made Colette

This is what made Colette

Colette.png

The Top hat, the rose shaped dress that is clearly made so as to allow her to stand out, the gloves that I always associated to sleigh of hand and hand movements and of course the ever present magicians jacket.

This new redhead can be Colette when she goes to the grocer, but I don't want to see Colette going to the grocery store, I want to see Colette how she is when she is giving a show and the gals and dolls are all doing their routine!

• Like 4

They could probably have put out something that looks exactly like that and we'd all be sat here complaining she looks exactly the same as the old sculpt (like Lenny). Or one where she's dancing and we'd be complaining that she'd be too hard to base...

IMHO there was no Colette sculpt that would have been acceptable to the majority. At least with her we know the avatar will bring three more sculpts. So there's plenty of chance we can all get a version of Colette we like.

• Like 1

Changes are the top hat to googles (bad move here and I hope there's a top hat on the sprue), reduced the cleavage, stopped showing her underwear, and swapped the tiny jacket with straps.

She's still wearing a corset, you can still see hints of her thigh high boots / stockings, and she still has minor frills at the end of her dress as a callback to the above picture.

The more players you get, the larger portion exists that doesn't want fan service. This is a move to make the model acceptable to more people, just like how the new Zoraida isn't letting her assets flap all around.

She looks like a professional now (1900s-era magicians dressed in formal suits), but they could've done a little bit better showing her actual job through the plastic. Her new fluff (you can read it in the picture) doesn't mention her doing burlesque at all, just sleight of hand magic (that's real magic, of course).

EDIT: Her gloves changed to cuffs too.

Concious I've been involved in the conversation, but I'm going to attempt to avoid a conflict of interest here...

<MOD HAT>

It's time to move the Colette discussion to it's own topic. There's a new thread here;

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/102393-previews-from-last-night/

Lets continue the Colette and Ironsides preview art conversation there now please.

</MOD HAT>

• Like 1

I think Wyrd would have to be really dumb to put out wave 2 plastic masters before they even have the wave 1 Masters done. Then it just looks bad like they can't finish what they start and they will just jump on to the next thing before being done with the last.  Well that is my 2 cents.

Yeah but it's also dumb to have a brand new book out without model support.  I totally agree with what you said above btw.  That and they have to get all the Through the Breach kickstarter orders handled too.  I think it would be very bad business to not have those kickstarters out the door and be selling the RPGs books at GenCon. 

Wyrd's got a busy two weeks ahead of them for sure.

BTW which wave 1 plastic masters are still undone?

Yeah but it's also dumb to have a brand new book out without model support.  I totally agree with what you said above btw.  That and they have to get all the Through the Breach kickstarter orders handled too.  I think it would be very bad business to not have those kickstarters out the door and be selling the RPGs books at GenCon. 

Wyrd's got a busy two weeks ahead of them for sure.

BTW which wave 1 plastic masters are still undone?

Agree, if they're launching the new book then they will surely be launching some of the new boxes with it (based on the art we've seen probably Shen Long, Ironside and Colette, maybe others).  Also, the way that Malifaux works Wave 1/2 isn't really a 'proper' distinction even though it's been thought of that way in people's head.  All the rules are already out for all the models save Avatars so they need to get models out for all of them.  It would make the most sense to get those which don't have any models, or low supplies of metal models, out first, regardless of Wave.  As for Masters without plastics yet:

Von Schill

Tara

Zoraida

Brewmaster (although we have seen this, it just seems to have disappeared into the aether again!)

• Like 1