Wyrd at Gen Con 2014

CaseyJ

Hi all.

I'm sure you already know that Wyrd's back again in full force for Gen Con 2014. Find our events at the online Gen Con catalog.

Events Hall

• Tournaments - 2 story encounters, 2 Avatar Qualifiers, 1 Avatar.
  • Malifaux Achievement League Download Now
  • Demos - Malifaux Demos and Board and Card Game Demos available every day for free. Get your tickets to reserve a spot. If it's sold out, try showing up anyway to see if there's a no-show or even extra space.
  • Through the Breach RPG - (Added June 30) Participate in a 3-day campaign or quicker 3-4 hour event.

Exhibit Hall

• Booth 923
  • Quick demos of all games available.

Other Activities

• Speed Painting events, with MHE (Miniatures Hobby Events)
  • Painting Competition - submit entry to MHE
    • 1st prize ($300 booth credit), 2nd prize ($200 booth credit), and 3rd prize ($100 booth credit)
    • Enter a Single Figure, Crew, or Diaroma - all entries judged against each other.
  • Coloring Contest - Age group winners receive $25 booth credit.
  • Wyrd Cosplay - (Oops! Sorry I forgot to post this with everything else) Booth credit for Best of Show and Honorable Mentions. See later post with some 2013 inspiration. 

Available Product

(Remember, everything we sell at Gen Con is also available through the Wyrd web store. The Wyrd shipping department is closed from Saturday August 9 through Tuesday August 19.)

• Miss Ery
    • Free with purchase of $100 or more.
    • Limit one per transaction.
    • Automatically added to web store orders that meet the $100 threshold.
  • Through the Breach - RPG
    • The Fated Almanac (Player's Guide)
    • The Fatemaster's Almanac
  • Malifaux 2E - Miniatures
    • Crossroads (M2E-2)
    • Wave 2 Arsenal Decks
    • Malifaux Scheme and Strategy Deck (for picking game schemes and strategies)
    • Arcane Fate Deck - Light
    • Arcane Fate Deck - Dark
  • Newsletter with Product Info - Items, Contents, Prices
  • Like 5

What shiny things are you selling?

Sounds like a question for the big boys, but I'm going to go tentatively with .. games?

We always announce late to avoid any broken promises, and this year is no different. We'll update the first post in this thread when we have announcements about products. (You, and 10,000 other loyal forum members, will be the first to know.)

As always, anything we sell at Gen Con, and any con exclusives, will be available through Wyrd's web store during Gen Con.

• Like 9

This is going to be great!  Is there a general strategy for where to meet up in the Events Hall for pick-up games of Malifaux (e.g., near the Malifaux tournament area, or near the pizza counter)?  Or is it just a free-for-all wherein we look for people carrying Malifaux bags and standing on tip-toes to peer over the crowds for the same?  I hope to meet lots of you there this year!

• Like 1

This is going to be great!  Is there a general strategy for where to meet up in the Events Hall for pick-up games of Malifaux

If you'd like, there will almost always be a spot in Wyrd's Events Hall space. Wyrd rents the table space for the con, so when we aren't holding Malifaux tournaments, our Malifaux tables are open for any Wyrd gameplay you'd like. (Justin will be around most of the day to answer questions.)

If you want to try to earn prizes for Malifaux game play, consider signing up for the Achievement League.

• Like 3

I can't wait to see what's for sale, but I have a question.

A family of four can purchase four Sunday badges for only $30. As opposed to $50 tickets = $200 for any other day, its clear I should go with the lower price and spend all that extra money on miniatures :)

Will Wyrd still have plenty of new stock items left that are sold only at Gen con by day 4?

• Like 1

Wyrd usually does a good job of only releasing a set number of new products each day.  I don't know what the "official" policy actually is for GenCon.  But, normally if you are proactive enough (contacting Wyrd being nice) they might just set you aside something.

• Like 1

Well, failing all else, you can always order them online if they're out of stock at the con - advantages of the special editions being online while gencon is happening.

Last year they got hammered for the M2E book, so anyone arriving day 4 had to order it I think. But they do try to make sure it lasts.

NIghtmare Dreamer/Chompy has been done but the entire crew hasn't. Still, I much preferred Nightmare Justice crew to the Tara crew simply because Justice crew was already out so it gave people an alternative and those that missed out could still play the crew they wanted (normal Justice). Compared to those that have recently come into the game and want to play Tara they have 2 choices - pay high ebay costs or proxy.

So where does that leave us? Crew sets from 1.5 Books 1-3 (Book 4 was mostly 10T so all plastic) or any of the plastic crews released so far:

Mei Feng

Misaki

Lynch

Perdita

Sonnia

Justic

Seamus

Nico

McMourning

Marcus

Ramos

Rasputina

Lilith

Pandora

Viks

D.

If the Nightmare Tara crew hadn't been released, though, people would only have one choice:  Proxy. 

I'd rather see a Nightmare Edition of an unreleased kit than a remake of a released plastic kit, at least until everything has been released in plastic and is ready to go. 

• Like 2

If the Nightmare Tara crew hadn't been released, though, people would only have one choice:  Proxy. 

I'd rather see a Nightmare Edition of an unreleased kit than a remake of a released plastic kit, at least until everything has been released in plastic and is ready to go. 

Seems like a false dichotomy.  Any open factory slot that can be dedicated to a limited release Nightmare variant of a crew could presumably go to the baseline 'for mass production' regular version of the crew, even if it's not a full size 'for global delivery' run.

Honestly, the Nightmare Tara thing left a bad taste in my mouth.  A variant run of an existing plastic OR metal crew wouldn't bother me, but that took me aback.  I hope they don't repeat it.