Who's the toughest model you have assembled ?

I've only done a few of the plastics so far, and find most of the "attach small-bit" parts to be reasonable.  The part that was toughest for me was Ama No Zako's ribbon.  Attaching two flat bits, edge-to-edge, not too bad.  Keeping them from rotating/sliding before drying, so that it looks like one long ribbon - that drove me a little crazier.

• 1 month later...

This but Warriors of Chaos and my Hellcannon...the two barrel halves were miscast, bending them so they met up hurt...a lot!

Trickiest Malifaux model so far has been aRamos

What was hard about Ramos out of curiosity?

To me I didn't think the set was too bad.  There were a lot of little pieces, but I seemed to be able to manage the set.  I gave up on putting the BA on the small base so I'm proxying it for a LA.

My models I hated.  Both metal and plastic Electrical Creation.  Seriously Eff.  These.  Models.  The plastic EC has like 12 or 13 parts?  Way too many little detail things that I even gave up on the last few things.  Got lucky and found the metal version at my FLGS.  Awesome.  3 parts? I can do that.  Nope.  Those damn electrical sparks were driving me insane last night.

• 5 weeks later...

\

Worst thing I've ever assembled is probably the Wracks from Privateer Press.  Those damn chains.  Metal Cyclops Savages are no picnic either - why in the bloody hell are their arms in so many pieces that have to be angled just perfectly? Ugh.

QFT. Even with the full set of correct pieces, it took all the finger facility I gained playing guitar to get them together. Oh, and the battlebox comes with two of them. the only redeeming factor is that savages are a good light beasts, so having two is nto a bad thing.

I'll give hinorable mention to Mortenebra. So many spindly little pieces, and no way of pinning them without buying a specially sized drill bit and staples. Even then, have fun with the shoulder-mounted thingies, and be prepared to cry when they fall off even after you've pinned them.

Mortenebra001.jpg

I've assembled, the Bayou box set (with no problems), I've got a bearded Yan lo, my chuanuana has a tail, My Archers still all have bows and head curtains in the right place and my metal Howard can happily fight against my peacekeep without them falling apart.

the one model I can not work out is the female illuminated. Maybe I have to chumpy fingers, but I could not get her head to work.

I did this for my Strongarm Suit:

Unfortunately I'd not done the wires before I took this photo but I used guitar string.  I've assembled a few of the commonly cited most difficult models though including Yan Lo (and his bloody beard!), the Zombie Chihuahua (who is in so many parts for something so small it's stupid) and the TT Archers (with their silly multiple part heads).  Though I have successfully assembled them all they were not a joy!  I've heard that Dreamer is a bit of a pain because of his teddy's leg but not done it myself.

I've now built my plastic Chihuahua.... don't see what all the fuss was about. He's small sure but if you are careful, take your time and work over a tray or something then in the eventuality that you drop the tail or even Yan Lo's beard you can find it again. Even somebody with sausage fingers like me can do it with relative ease. 

• Like 1

I don't think that it's that they can't be made (I do the same as you with a tray), just that in a lot of cases it seems unnecessary for them to be in so many parts.  The Zombie Chihuahua is a good example because the bits are so small that they should be able to cast them as part of the miniatures because they wouldn't make the mold any deeper than they already are. 

Thinking back on it now the Thunder Archers were the worst I've assembled. The heads and the hats were unnecessarily complicated, they consist of the head, the hat and the cowl is in 2 parts... incredibly frustrating. I agree that many of the models are a nightmare to assemble and they really don't need to so complicated. I hear tale that Somer Teeth Jones is particularly pointless when it comes to assembly, his head is in 3 or 4 parts so I'm told. Additionally the pointlessness of Santiago's belt buckle being separate was one of the biggest WTF moments I've had in my 18 years of war gaming. 

• Like 1

The new plastic Hanged are a bit tricky, more for how hard it is to paint them around the tiny rope that wraps around their body than anything else. I imagine an awful lot of those ropes ended up snapping on the sprues, it's always a challenge when the connection to the sprue is more substantial than the part itself.

• Like 1

The new plastic Hanged are a bit tricky, more for how hard it is to paint them around the tiny rope that wraps around their body than anything else. I image an awful lot of those ropes ended up snapping on the sprues, it's always a challenge when the connection to the sprue is more substantial than the part itself.

I had similar problems with Langston's mechanical tentacle things. A few of them snapped on the sprue before I'd even opened the box but I managed to salvage most of them by cutting them short and fixing the claws to the remaining tentacle.  

Hardest Malifaux mini for me to prep was the Dead Justice marshal with a million arrows coming out of it- would have been fine in plastic, but the bendy metal had me super-nervous, since it bent every time I tried to file it.

Most irritating model I've ever assembled was probably PP's Harbinger, made out of a million little bits you need to feed together, many of which also need to be bent into position, all of which is metal, and then the whole thing is top-heavy. Did I mention the giant banner attached at the tiniest of joins? No?

For me, it's also the old metal Large Steampunk Arachnid. Truly horrible, and I have two of them.

Of the new plastics, stuff have been slightly delicate but never too difficult. Sure, it's not GW easy, but then again this is a realistic scale. I may change my mind when I start assembling the Steam Trunk.

For me, it's also the old metal Large Steampunk Arachnid. Truly horrible, and I have two of them.

Of the new plastics, stuff have been slightly delicate but never too difficult. Sure, it's not GW easy, but then again this is a realistic scale. I may change my mind when I start assembling the Steam Trunk.

The steam trunk is an honest to god pain. go slow and make sure everything is correct before gluing and the pain can be mitigated.Just remember: Each tread is is nine pieces, if you don't plan that out it is surely not going to go well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The steam trunk is an honest to god pain. go slow and make sure everything is correct before gluing and the pain can be mitigated.Just remember: Each tread is is nine pieces, if you don't plan that out it is surely not going to go well.

This.

I just finished putting my Steam Trunk together. All 35 pieces of it. I'd echo Requirement's post by saying that the treads were probably the biggest pain in the ass. Make sure you're clear on how everything fits together before you deploy the glue, and then stick em together as quickly as you can just in case you need to move any of it. There are also one or two components that go inside the Trunk (the knife blade and crossbow thingy) that I very nearly lost to the realms of the carpet gods.

• Like 1

I want to make something clear as well: Despite the steam trunk being in (by my count) 33 pieces and being one of the most challenging models to put together properly, it was also a load of fun to put together because of that challenge. There are subtle clues on where everything goes on the model itself and it ends up being a little like a puzzle to solve in the end. So, in all honesty, I loved every moment of all that grumbling and cursing. Maybe I am just a little masochistic....

• Like 1

I want to make something clear as well: Despite the steam trunk being in (by my count) 33 pieces and being one of the most challenging models to put together properly, it was also a load of fun to put together because of that challenge. There are subtle clues on where everything goes on the model itself and it ends up being a little like a puzzle to solve in the end. So, in all honesty, I loved every moment of all that grumbling and cursing. Maybe I am just a little masochistic....

Definitely sounds like the instructions and a 5 Ltr drum of patience are required for that one... might lay off replacing my metal Von Schill crew for a while! 

I've not had too much trouble with any Wyrd models yet. I did find the Executioner a bit trick with his skinny pipes but I come from a Privateer Press background so the worst of the Malifaux plastics can't come even close to the worst that PP have to offer! I've always enjoyed assembling models but there's been times with the PP models that I've felt like throwing the whole lot out of the window and then jumping out after it. At least (ignoring some wacky scale issues) Wyrd minis look ace once you've put them together which can't be said for amny of the PP models!!