Flay vs. Impossible to Wound

MadmanMSU

Question

Which takes precedence, Flay or Impossible to wound?

Example:

An Illuminated is attacking Nicodem, who has the Brilliance condition applied to him.  After the attack flip is finished, the result is a double negative damage flip.  However, the Illuminated has enough suits to trigger Flay which states that "the damage flip may be cheated, even if there is a negative flip".  However, Nicodem has Impossible to Wound, which states that "Damage flips against this model may not be cheated".

This seems directly contradictory to me.  Which one applies?

Actually yes, yes it does mean you can turn left because your rule says you can and even specifically says you can do when the sign says you can't.

The use of 'even if' in normal english is just a way of quanitifying that a rule applies even in specific circumstances but does not mean it only applies in those circumstances.

EDIT:  But i think this is a conversation for another time.

You are confusing "No left turns on red" with "No left turns at all".  "No left turns on red" is in the subset of "No left turns at all" but the opposite is not true.  

It says 'You may do X even if Y says you can't'. That means that when Y says don't do X, you can ignore it.

X in this case being 'turn on red' or 'cheat on a -ve flip'.

Y being 'the sign' or 'the rules'.

The 'do not turn left' or 'do not cheat against this model' are different rules which I'll name Z, with a different scope to X. Ignoring X does not grant immunity to Z, only to X.

However, let's not spend a ton of pages in a meaningless debate about linguistic trivialities. 

In this case, there are two separate rules that block cheating in certain circumstances, one the standard rule, one the ItW ability:

+ve flip - can I cheat normally? yes - will flay let me? yes - will ItW let me cheat? no

-ve flip - can I cheat normally? no - will flay let me? yes - will ItW let me? no

• Like 2

The use of 'even if' in normal english is just a way of quanitifying that a rule applies even in specific circumstances but does not mean it only applies in those circumstances.

EDIT:  But i think this is a conversation for another time.

It would be a conversation for another time, as noted by another poster Flay doesn't use "even if" in it's wording. 

(for those without book on hand you can look to Lord Chompy Bits in the recent Official Wave 2 download for the proper wording of Flay)

The wording was probably changed by Wyrd to avoid this very argument.

This appears to be another "understanding English" debate:

Flay which states that "the damage flip may be cheated, even if there is a negative flip".  However, Nicodem has Impossible to Wound, which states that "Damage flips against this model may not be cheated".

In English, "...may not [be cheated]," is not an optional rule, it is absolute, the same as, "...is not allowed to [cheat]." Conversely, "...may be [cheated]..." is permissive, it gives you the option to cheat but isn't absolute. As such there is no conflict between the two sentences.

Flay allows you to cheat even if there is a (-) twist on the damage flip.

Impossible to Wound prevents models from being able to cheat the damage flip, period.

A model that triggers Flay on a model with ItW would not be able to cheat the damage flip, because ItW states that models may not, under any circumstance, cheat damage fips against it.

I don't see why this is so hard to understand...

Fair enough.

For what its worth, we played it that Nicodem's rule was the correct one.  I simply wanted to hash it out here and see what the general consensus was.  Clearly, Impossible to Wound wins :D

I got it from Scribd.  I don't have my rulebook on me, so it was the only place I could think of to find a copy of the rule.

Clearly, what I found was incorrect.  Flay should be as you wrote it:

"Flay: The damage flip resulting from this Attack may be cheated if it suffers one or more -."

You can only cheat if there is a negative damage flip. 

Since there was a double negative flip in my example, you can cheat.  Which makes the rules contradictory.

I understand the argument others are making.  I disagree with it, but I understand it.  To me, the rule explicitly says you can cheat, given the condition.  I hold no false hopes about changing minds, and I agree with Halcyonseraph that arguing in circles is pointless.  Again, I'll just point out that if its agreed that Nicodem's rule trumps Flay for balance reasons, I'll buy that, but I still think the two rules are direct contradictions.

With the new edition, barring any errata to either model, you would have had the correct printing of the Flay in front of you on the Illuminated's stat card from the Arsenal Pack (or printed out from the book) and, also, the correct printing of Nicodem's Impossible to Wound. It's a great time saver. You show me yours. I'll show you mine. Instant fix. No confusion.

Now, had what you found on Scribd been the correct wording, then I'd wholeheartedly push for your case that Flay trumps ItW, especially in light of the Silurids' Silent Trumping Lilith's Master of Malifaux. As it was an earlier file, though, it's just not the official rule. Oh well.

This does actually need an FAQ since Flay is the more specific rule and (by pg28) should bypass Impossible to Wound. At least the way I read it.

Attack results in -flips

Impossible to Wound says: Damage flips against this model may not be cheated (applies to all damgae flips)

Flay: The damage flip resulting from this Attack may be cheated if it suffers one or more -flip (only applies to "The damage flip resulting from this Attack" when "it suffers from one or more -flip)

Flay is more specific. Since the rules contradict each other, the more specific rule of the two takes precedence.

But hey, whatever Justin says.

Since the answer to this has been clearly stated for a while (ItW trumps flay), and people are now just debating finer and finer aspects of the rule wording, I don't think we need to continue.

I'm pretty sure this thread has been seen, so rather than endlessly making cases for why Justin is right or wrong, let's just make use of the answer. If it is deemed necessary, it will get an FAQ spot.

• Like 4

The Black Joker Trumps All. Forever, this is the one absolute rule all must follow.

When you flip that black joker for damage Scoop your cards put them into the discard pile and say well that was fun and if you can try the action again or do something different.

Well, except for Rasputina's Decembers Pawn and Neverborn's Pact. So there are exceptions.