Holy poop, malifaux 2.0!

DeleteAccount

My concern is that Masters will be so dumbed down that they will lose the core functionality that makes them, well, them. I started a thread related to this.

If masters need several paragraphs of rules to make them unique, then there's something wrong.

But, it sounds like you were in the playtest in some form or another. Do you feel that this is the current state of those rules?

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much more than what was stated in the podcasts. Some abilities that may be considered "core" by some (such as Sonnia's Witchling transformation) have been moved to being part of upgrades.

I don't have specific examples to give, nor would I without the info being released through Wyrd directly first (NDA and all). But, as per the examples given in the podcasts, it is worrying to me.

Regarding "dumbing down", the closest analogue I can cite is Warmachine- the rules were largely intact, with the biggest "dumbing down" being consolidating similar rules and eliminating corner case ones, which lost some of the flavor but mostly just made the game run better, and I'm expecting this is what will happen with Malifaux. The only thing I'm worried about is that the direction the game is going could change in a way I don't like (I've never liked the feel of PP since their update to 2nd ed.), but Wyrd's done a lot towards ensuring my trust...

Well, in that case, I'm just going to stay out of the "dumbing down the rules" part of the conversation, because it seems premature.

Anyway, how do people feel about the changes to the soulstone rules?

Love them. The ability of some models to drop unresistible instant death on people is my least favorite part of this game.

Oh, great, I need to make a 24 defense check with this minion or he dies and becomes a mannequin. This is fun.

And this is speaking as a Colette player, it's just bad design to have that be possible.

I cant say much that does not seem obvious really. I like the fact that you are no longer going to get so many spells flying at a minion where you just go i can do nothing to stop you do what is the point?

But at the same time, it was nice to have your master or any SS user in the middle of a group of minions, and you have the face cards in your hand to defend on and stones to boost further if needed to make sure you survive, now they are a little less effective, but probably more reliable, sort of. I think i made sense there right?

I think it would be really cool for the upgrades to come in the form of different cards with scaling abilities for increasing costs. Like take Seamus as he is and up his cache to 6 or 7, then have another version that adds/improves upon a couple abilities and his cache drops by 1-2, then have a third version with more improvements and a cache of 2-3.

Well, in that case, I'm just going to stay out of the "dumbing down the rules" part of the conversation, because it seems premature.

For those of us who haven't listened to the podcasts: WHAT changes to the soulstone rules? (says the Colette & Raspy player)

I'm psyched. Already the Multiplayer and Campaign rules have spiced up our games. Been running multiplayer pretty much from the beginning, as it's usually three or four of us playing at my place or where I've demoed. Kinda had to just agree on our own rulings on strats and schemes until they released the official rules for it. Adding in the idea of Upgrades in an ongoing series of skirmishes is another nice touch. Some of the upgrades we have now seem geared for a lot longer of campaigns. If these upgrades are anything like the ones 2.0 will use, I'm not sure how well theyll play out as a single sortie option, but we shall see.

I am very excited for the new rules. All games get face lifts from time to time and Wyrd is willing to take our opinions on them. That is awesome! Plus refocusing the game on completing schemes is a great idea. Lately, my games have been all about killing, so I am glad to see it. Can't wait to see some of the new plastic models especially the Show Girls. Just wish we had more pictures!!

New player here. Just started back in February of this year. I'm actually new to miniature gaming in general as I was (and still am) an avid board gamer who just decided to take up painting as a hobby.

As such, I've never encountered a rules update in a minis game before so I just wanted to make sure that my figures (which I've sunk no small amount of money into) aren't about to become invalid and require me purchasing them all over again. Thankfully, I only purchased the 1.5 book so I didn't spend a lot in that area.

Anyone able to help assuage a newbies fears regarding the update?

As far as being required to purchase new models, nope, you're quite covered there. The Faction Decks people are talking about are going to be the updated rules for models that you already have. Now, you might want new models if the new kits come out and are pretty, but you should be good.

New player here. Just started back in February of this year. I'm actually new to miniature gaming in general as I was (and still am) an avid board gamer who just decided to take up painting as a hobby.

As such, I've never encountered a rules update in a minis game before so I just wanted to make sure that my figures (which I've sunk no small amount of money into) aren't about to become invalid and require me purchasing them all over again. Thankfully, I only purchased the 1.5 book so I didn't spend a lot in that area.

Fret not my good Sir.

Your miniatures may play a different role than they have till now, but I doubt that there will be redundancies.

Listened to some podcasts today. From what they are saying, there is nothing to fear. You will have to get some new cards, but that is really it. Not a huge deal. I just got into it in Feb, and after what I have heard, I am pretty excited, really.

I have to say, having heard the malifools podcast, that I'm not excessivly happy about the change to soulstones. Of course, that has a lot to do with my terrible luck.

I'm withholding final judgement until I see the models though, because if the masters are buffed up enough, it might actually be better.

Basicly, if they don't make some extensive changes to such masters as collette, it will really hurt some of the masters much more than others.

Edited by Dracomax

As of yet, I have not played a single game on Vassal. Given the nature of beta testing, Vassal would be a good format to test with, IF it was done by honest players who signed the NDA and didn't youtube the results. It would allow more games as Vassal is 24 hours and doesn't require two testers to meet in the same room... You can also pause games and you can forward screen captures directly to Wyrd.

Is Wyrd going to allow Vassal? It would be a shame to learn it and find out both players have to be in the same room. Other testing I have done has been okay using software or screensharing to play games as long as all players in the game signed the agreement.