Design space : GG-SEV

SEV

I like game design and I think Malifaux have a lot of design space since it's such a rich game. I already posted around game design (see my post on Alternative Formats), but I will now formalize this by adding, "design space: ..." in the title of some of my thread. So yeah, I plan to do this as an irregular series (if people enjoy the discussion of course). Disclaimer : a) this thread tend to be long; b) I'm not a native English speaker (I hope most of my writing is still intelligible, but do not hesitate to point it to me when it's not); c) I'm not a professional designer, so I'm mostly goofing around; d) if not specified otherwise, those design ideas will be untested (and might be totally unbalanced).

I'm, of course, looking at your feedback and own Ideas, if some of you feel like testing some of the things I suggest please do (and come back to report your finding and suggest possible improvement... you can still suggest improvement even if you didn't test the idea though).

So for my first post, because I was quite sad about not having a GG2 in the foreseeable near future, I develop my own GG full set of strats and schemes. That's right, I'm sharing with you a fully untested GG-SEV. It's probably quite unbalance and I didn't take too much time thinking about the cross/anti-synergy of each strats and scheme (I did, but I feel that it is one of the most important points of a real GG). I also went for "funkier" stuff. I really like the poker game of the hidden choices before the game, so there's a lot of that. I also like to see more interaction between the map/terrain, the models and the strats and scheme, so I put the focus on that as well. Finally, I tried some split scoring conditions (having this and/or that to score) to see if it's a viable way to promote diversify crew (I didn't go overboard with this since I'm not sure it will give the intended results).

So since I'm still in confinement, I plan to play exclusively this special GG at home with my better half until GG2 hit at least (and tweak it accordingly)... If someone wants to try it on vassals as well, just give me a shoutout and I'll be happy to oblige.

STRATEGIES

Ram - Sysyphe mining

Starting with the player with initiative, each player places a friendly 50 mm rock marker (Sz 4, blocking, impassible; rock marker has all the proprieties of strategy markers) anywhere on their side of the map at least 10" from the centre line. A model within 1" of any rock marker (friendly or enemy) can take the interact action to push it 4" in any direction. Rock marker is affected by terrain. Rock markers can be pushed through models (each model move through this way must do a TN12 movement duel or suffer 2 damage).   Scoring :  at the end of the turn, if a friendly rock marker is on the opponent side of the map, gain 1 VP.

Tome - Ley Lines Grid

Before deployment, starting with the defending player, each player chooses a non-destructible terrain piece in their opponent’s deployment half, until a total of 6 pieces of terrain have been chosen that way (3 on both halves). Then, starting with the player with initiative, each player alternate placing transistor token on any number of models in their crew until each player has placed 6 tokens. A model can take the interact action and discard a transistor token to drop a friendly strategy marker. A model in base contact with a strategy marker (friendly or enemy) can take the interact action to remove this marker a gain a transistor token.  Scoring : at the end of each turn, you can choose a friendly strategy marker within 1" of a designated terrain on your table half AND a friendly strategy marker within 1" of a designated terrain on your opponent table half. You may remove one of those markers, if you do, gain 1 VP.

Mask - Energy Generator

Starting with the player with initiative, each player place 2 strategy markers (severe, hazardous x - where x is the amount of charge tokens on the strategy marker) anywhere on their side of the map not within 6" of their deployment zone. A model within 2" of a friendly strategy marker can take the interact action to put a charge token on this marker. If a model dies within 1" of a strategy marker, put a charge token on it. Scoring : removed a number of tokens equal to 2 plus the number of points score from that strategy from any number of friendly strategy markers, gain 1 VP.

Crow- Stalker

Whenever a model kills an enemy model, a friendly model within 4" of the model killed gains a stalker token if this model doesn't already have a stalker token (if multiple models are within 4", the closest friendly models from the models killed, without a stalker token, gains the stalker token). Scoring : you may discard 1 stalker token from one of your models, if you do, gain 1 VP.  

NEW SCHEMES

1 - Mass grave

At the beginning of the game secretly choose a  terrain piece on your opponent’s half of the board without the destructible trait. Reveal : when an enemy model is killed within 2" of that piece of terrain you can reveal this scheme to gain 1 VP. End : you may remove 3 corpse markers and/or friendly scheme markers within 2" of the chosen terrain to gain 1 VP.

2 - Rancid Earth

At the beginning of the game secretly choose a quadrant of the board (NW, NE, SE, SW). Reveal : at the end of the turn you may remove 3 friendly scheme marker in the chosen quadrant, if you do, gain 1 VP and that quadrant is treated as hazardous terrain for the duration of next turn. End : if there is no enemy model in that quadrant, gain 1 VP.

3 - Check Mate

Reveal : at the end of the turn you may remove a friendly scheme marker within 1" of an enemy leader to gain 1 VP. End : if the enemy leader is engaged by one of your models and has less than half of his maximum health or if the enemy model was killed by a model who was friendly to it, gain 1 VP.

4 - Chaaaaarge!

Reveal : at the end of the turn if all your models are on your opponent’s side of the map, gain 1 VP. End : if you have at least 3 friendly models in your opponent deployment zone, gain 1 VP.

5 - Hide and Seek

At the beginning of the game secretly choose a friendly non-leader model and an enemy non-leader model with higher cost. Reveal : at the end of the turn, if the chosen friendly model is within 1" of a blocking terrain on your opponent’s side of the board and the enemy model has no line of sighs to him, gain 1 VP. End : If the chosen friendly model is unengage and have line of sight to the chosen enemy model or if the chosen enemy model was killed by a model who was friendly to it, gain 1 VP.

6 - I'm your father

At the beginning of the game choose a friendly henchman or enforcer. Reveal : at the end of the turn if the chosen model was dealt damage this turn by an enemy leader and is now at least 3" away from that enemy leader, gain 1 VP. End : if the chosen model is still in play and at least 3" away from the enemy leader, gain 1 VP.

7 - Eliminate, eliminate!

At the beginning of the game secretly choose 3 enemy non-leader models. Reveal : at the end of the turn if the 3 chosen models had loose health this turn, gain 1 VP.  End : if the chosen models have been killed, gain 1 VP.

8 - Demolition gig

At the beginning of the game secretly choose a blocking terrain piece on your opponent’s side of the table. Reveal : at the end of the turn you may remove 3 scheme markers within 3" of the chosen terrain. If you do, gain 1 VP and destroy that terrain (even if it doesn't have the destructible trait). Models within 3" of the terrain destroyed this way suffer 1 damage and gain distracted +1. End : if you have more models anywhere in plays than the number of blocking terrain divided by 2 (round down) on your opponent’s half of the board, gain 1 VP.

9 - Last Square

Reveal : if you have 4 or more models within 2" of the centre, gain 1 VP. End : if you have 4 friendly models and/or friendly scheme markers within 3" of the centre, gain 1 VP.

10 - A way out

At the beginning of the game secretly choose a map corner not part of your deployment zone. Reveal : if you have a model within 2" of the chosen corner and this model has line of sight to a friendly master or henchman, gain 1 VP. End : If your leader is within 2" of the chosen corner, gain 1 VP.

THROWBACK SCHEME

11 - Harness the Ley Line

12 - Hold up their Forces

13 - Hidden Martyrs

14 - Breakthrough

15 - Spread them out

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SEV said:

10 - A way out

At the beginning of the game secretly choose a map corner not part of your deployment zone. Reveal : if you have a model within 2" of the chosen corner and this model has line of sight to a friendly master or henchman, gain 1 VP. End : If your leader is within 2" of the chosen corner, gain 1 VP.

I like this one a lot.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, SEV said:

7 - Eliminate, eliminate!

At the beginning of the game secretly choose 3 enemy non-leader models. Reveal : at the end of the turn if the 3 chosen models had loose health this turn, gain 1 VP.  End : if the chosen models have been killed, gain 1 VP.

I would change the Reveal to: At the end of the turn if 2 of the chosen models had loose health this turn but still in play, gain 1 VP.

So you must kill 3 models but you must damage 2 (not kill them) to score first VP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

So confirmed then, he says they launch soon, right?

Although it is weird because the rest of the post explains why it isn't good to launch it too fast xD

I read it as we will launch it when we are ready, and in fact the whole reason it was gg1 rather than gg2020 was so they can choose when they update it, rather than it being yearly

1 minute ago, Adran said:

I read it as we will launch it when we are ready, and in fact the whole reason it was gg1 rather than gg2020 was so they can choose when they update it, rather than it being yearly

Yeah, but then the last thing he says is:

There will be a Gaining Grounds Season 2 and an updated FAQ. We'll have more information about them when we're ready to launch those.

Soon!

Emphasis added.

But ah well, it will come out when it comes out!

Yep, I'm eager to see GG2 drop. But until than, I'll play experimental stuff. The gg I'm suggesting have a lot of funkiness and is aimed for casual game...

Honestly I just want to play a game of Leyline Grid where I use the scheme demolition gig to blow one of my opponent terrain, score for scheme, kill a model at 1 health and denied my oponent a strat points! 🤣