2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - June

Caedrus

9 hours ago, Stranglelove said:

Not sure what else to do with the basing that won't distract from the models. Baby Kade needs something and I lost his little bear autopsy - maybe something written in blood.

Nice job, if you're not a big fan of basing, i have to say that how it's now it looks good and consistent.

But if your'e still up for working on baby kade's one, I've definitely remember seeing a base with something drawn in blood, a 5 pointed star i think, and it looked great, you could add some candles too  (just wanted to put a simple link, can't figure out how to avoid the autoformat 😕 )

• Thanks 1

Another option is grab a little square of toilet paper, the decent thick kind preferably.  Soak a tiny touch of watered down pva into it and let it start to stiffen.  You can then fold it into the desired shape and make a little baby blanket for him.  It’s tricky and messy (I’duse tweezers), but you can have him trying to hide things under it such as more knives or a little skull.  

Another idea is a bb pellet painted as a toy ball, or find some small cubes to stack up as building blocks.  You can then write letters on them to spell out a message.

• Thanks 1

Late to the game this month due to real life busy-ing. Gonna Pledge 2x Kentauroi for 16ss. Stretch goal will be 3x Little gasser. That will complete my experimental keyword.

June Challenge - 3 Fave Paints

1. GW Dryad Bark - This is probably my most used paint and makes it onto most of my miniatures or terrain in one way or another. I use it as a base for wood, leather, old metal. Great to mix with colours to make them drab and dirty.

2. Combo between GW Kabalite Green and GW Sybarite Green. I go through phases but for the last year this combo has made it onto a lot of my minis as a unifying theme. Best used for ghosts and glowey bits and anything SPOOKY 👻

3. More turquoise ahoy! Sadly these 2 are out of production. GW Glazes Guilliman Blue and Waywatcher Green. I use these a lot for blue glowey bits or green glowey bits, but more importantly to be mixed together to go with my number 2. I love these 2 glazes and I've tried to replicate it by creating my own but its never come out quite as good. Currently using sparingly 

• Like 2

Painted up some terrain this month. No particular reason for it. Just had it lying around and decided to cross it off the to do list.

We'll call it a scatter piece for 5SS. It's a lot larger than what I'd usually call scatter, but functionally it's just providing some elevation and cover.

Have a lot more of this kind of terrain. Some of it might end up too gobliny, but I'll post any Malifaux appropriate ones i get around to.

JftV6hil.jpg

EXQhKUAl.jpg

VziL5TQl.jpg

• Like 4

Time for mid month update......

I almost completed the Church and the Tower.

I begun going after a new large palace having to mod some SoV stuff with a home made component. I'm experimenting with floors marbling at present.

I'm at work after a large resin casted altar and some sarcophagi to place inside the Church.

Some pictures of my achivements are available at the link:

My congrats to many of you for the great models you are showing.

• Like 2

Caedrus, Reporting in!

So, June has turned into a bit of a month of experimentation, where I've been messing with different NMM colour recipes (oh, Reaper Bones, I'm so wonderfully non-emotionally-invested in you).

However, I've also had time to finish a Malifaux Child:

QmzrMZ1.jpg

This kid was quite a bit of fun. I had a play with less saturation, and lower contrast. I learned quite a bit.

Then, I started work on a larger project!

BAxudHT.jpg

This is just a little WIP shot of my Ashen Core (don't worry, I know the top of the spiky-platform isn't on corrrectly!)

As always, I'm loving all the painting you've been up to!

Caedrus.

• Like 9

hello @GroundPounderX  welcome to the forums 🙌

First of all, nice job, this base is super cool, love the reds with the blues & the green leaves.

Second, this thread is intended to push ourselves to paint some minis monthly, and share with other users while learning in the process.

You pledge how many soulstones value in minis want to paint every month, and you should commit to it and share it here, for more detailed and better written info, check the 1st post in the thread 

So i'd say is not the wrong place to post this, plus i'd invite you to join the monthly challenges, Caedrus is in charge, and if i'm not wrong you might join mid year, not sure though, it's up to him

@GroundPounderX, welcome to the Forums!

I'm not so much in charge, more of a helpful guide, whenever I can!

In previous years, it'd be too late to join our yearly Challenge, but we're trialing a new 'Buy Back' system, discussed at the link @Diddick mentioned. Have a read through that thread, make a pledge level (you can post here, or send me a message), and join in!

This is a tremendously positive place, with painters from a vast range of experience levels and styles.

So, welcome on board!

17 hours ago, GroundPounderX said:

I am brand new to the forum so a little unsure if this is the correct spot for this, but finished this Crooligan this weekend.

And if you don't like to join the Monthly Painting Challenge feel absolutely free to open up your own thread to show your stuff (and get feedback if you're up to it).

• Like 1

June Challenge - 3 Fave Paints

Although I already posted as regard, I must say that I just begun using GSW Acrilyc Colors and I'm impressed  by their quality.

I got a good coverage with a single layer of paint while with other brands I need to apply 3 layers. They are very flexible, beeing suited for handbrushing as air brushing. They look very brilliant.

Did anyone have a chance to try them?

Well, guess I'll need more time to practice with GSW Acrilyc Colors but it could happen I'll have to change mind as regard my favourite fave paints. At present time the only negative aspect is that they are not available from local hobby stores, so I need to buy them from GSW on line shop and wait for some 10 days to get my supply at home.

• Like 2

Church Main Altar

Hello, I completed the Church Main Altar casted in resin.

IMG-20200626-145436.jpg
IMG-20200626-145446.jpg
IMG-20200626-145539.jpg
IMG-20200626-145510.jpg
IMG-20200626-145512.jpg

As a starting point I used the marbling painting tecnique layering 2 marbling layers. Then, I completed the job with hand painting and acrylic washes. As a last touch I glued some plastic gems produced by GSW.

@Caedrus, I estimated this scenic 10 ss worth, because of the size, the hours spent after it and the experimentation of the marbling painting.

• Like 6