2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - June

Caedrus

Welcome to the 2020 Wyrd Painting Challenge!

This is the thread for the June Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I have the very great pleasure of being your host for 2020. While I am proud to be your host, this competition belongs to all of us, and if there’s anything that we can better to improve the Challenge, please do let me know.

The link to the painter spreadsheet is here.

The 2020 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 Soulstone worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2020. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan. See the Buy-Back rule, below.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

A new rule for 2020: The Buy-Back

Everyone has good months and bad months. To encourage people to continue to paint, we will be trying out a new rule this year: the Buy-Back. In the past, if you have used your two mulligans, you’re out of the Challenge!

However, in 2020, you can buy your way back into the challenge. All you have to do is to undertake your normal pledge and paint for the month, AND undertake the pledge and paint from one of the months you mulliganed.

E.g.: Sarah is painting at Enforcer level (6SS/month), and she’s needed to mulligan for the third time. She announces that for the upcoming month, she’ll paint 12SS. If she does so, she’s back in the Challenge!

At such a time, it might be worthwhile considering dropping down a category, but that’s up to Sarah!

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.
  • Markers count for 2 soulstones if they're flat, or 5 soulstones if they're 3D and fancy

Terrain

• ·       Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • ·       Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • ·       Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • ·       Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • ·       War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed 3’x3’ terrain board.

My very best for June, and 2020!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

A Special June Challenge

So, this month, I thought I would ask you, my fellow painters, what three paints are absolutely an essential part of your painting - and why?

Or even, what are your favourites? Or, what paint do you keep just going back to?

This should be fascinating...

(I reckon I could guess at least one of @Rathnard's)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Greetings, fellow painters!

For June, I shall pledge:

A Blessed of December;

Malifaux Child; and

Prospectors!

fmNP2iQ.jpg

Have a fantastic June, and keep putting pigment to plastic (and MDF, metal ... and everything else!)

Caedrus.

June Challenge - 3 Fave Paints

1. Vallejo Royal Purple. I love purple. This purple is best purple.

2. Reaper Snow Shadow. It's a great paint to lighten most colours, while keeping a nice, cool temperature.

3. Reaper Custom Colour: Chestnut Rose. It's 50/50 Chestnut Brown and Rosy Skin Shadow. It's an excellent colour to transition between flesh shadows and the main flesh tones. I use it, hmm, all the time.

Honourable Mention: Scalecolor Antares Red. Super, duper saturated and powerful.

• Like 4

Greeting,

This time I'll see to complete the Church and the Tower I'm going after since previuos month. It was a great challenge for me, offering a chance to experiment with new techniques.

I'm also going after and pledging a Marble Altar with golden figures (resin casting) and 6 Marble Sarcophagi (resin casting) to be plced inside the Church.

I own a 2 floors Noble House from SoV range looking at me from the shelter of shame...... since a quite long time indeed...... I decided to complete it, too.

1. Formula P3 Arcane Blue. But a great shade of blue,it's very flexible. I used it to highlight over darker blue shades or to prepare my home made washes.

2. Formula P3 Midlund Flesh. Definitely my favorite paint for flash in human models. It can be finished with Formula P3 flesh washes, with AGW washes or with GSW Pecatum Flesh wash.

3. Vallejo Air Model Tan Earth. It's very versatile. I made large use of it painting buildings getting a light brown-pinky shade. It can also be used for darker human skin tones.

P.S.: pictures for pledged scenics will come with next post.

• Like 4

Getting the jump on pledge post to ensure I don't repeat my almost entirely forgetting it in May!

Going with a few Ressers (Emissary and Effigy), A Neverborn (last Daydream for Dreamer), an a bunch of stuff for Lucius.

large.20200531_113452.jpg.bf48e1b6dfc96b298eec09c5405ba88f.jpg

1. Vallejo Dark Grey - Not exactly exciting, but I find it's a good central grey, and has been pretty helpful to de-saturate colors, so I've been using it a fair bit as I play with light.

2. Vallejo Fluo Green - brilliant for anything glowing, and possibly radioactive. I need to get more soon.

3. Contrast Gulliman Flesh & Fyreslayer Flesh - I *really* dislike painting human skin, though I know it can be done amazingly well, I just don't find myself wanting to put in the number of layers needed to get it there for the relatively little bit of skin I generally find on a model. These are skin-talent in a bottle in the same way Agrax Earthshade can be, and they're a crutch I'm perfectly fine hobbling along on. 😜

• Like 5

For June I'm looking to round out some crews. I plan on finishing the Euripides box (Thoon 9ss, and the Primordial Magic 3ss), a couple Bayou Smugglers 12ss and McTavish 9ss. I'll try for more but never can tell.

1. Citadel Agrax Earthshade, hides so many mistakes it should be outlawed

2. Citadel Corvus Black my favorite black that isn't quite black

3. Contrast paints... I'm having a blast with the whole range, I know they're not everything but for a good tabletop quality they really help. I did the eye on Euripides with a couple layers of Talassar Blue over a white eyeball. My favorite part of the model.

• Like 4

This should be my final month buying back previous mulligans, so I’m going with:

Perdita Ortega to finish the Family models, 3 fire gamin and 1 fire golem. Maybe I’ll also start on the other Wildfire models.

June Challenge - 3 Fave Paints

-An off-white: useful for lightening colors and sometimes making them a bit pastel for strong highlights. I’m having a lot of fun with Army Painter Ash Grey for this, but might switch to an even lighter grey in the future. Bonus tip: if you mix a light beige (like skeleton bone) with the standard skin base color (Bugmann glow or such), you get a really nice bronzed skin highlight

-Black, or a really dark grey: for desaturation and darkening colors, giving “body” so that difficult colors cover better, making washes, etc

-Silver metallic paint: my nmm metal game is inexistant, so I still need this crutch. I’ll get rid of it soon enough, I hate metallic paints.

• Like 4

For June, it's Pandora's crew (Doppelgänger and Baby Kade are taking a bath)

MltJFQi.jpg

Three Favorite Paints

Citadel Mournfang Brown - consistent, vibrant brown that can be used as a base or a highlight to a darker brown

Citadel Incubi Darkness - lovely deep green that can build up to a blue or a green

Vallejo Bone White Game Air - the best warm base coat I've found for Contrast paints

Halfway through the longest year, keep up the great work everybody!

• Like 5

So this month I've officially given up on painting any Malifaux. While I'd liked to finish my Zipp crew, the motivation just isn't there. So instead I'm painting nothing but TOS for the month. ;)

Here's what I've got planned;

bMvk3Ys.jpg

38bINhE.jpg

9x Speckled Crawlers and 6x Mehal Sefari. There might be other stuff (specifically a Frenzy squad, and maybe some Gupps, but that depends on whether they finally arrive at my LGS...

June Challenge - 3 Fave Paints

Well as @Caedrus astutely noted, at least one of these is easy to guess... :P

c9SmZIJ.jpg

I have to admit - I've been painting a bunch of non-pink colour schemes lately (Just look at my Gibbering Hordes & Abyssinians). But it remains my favourite color to paint, and is a go-to colour whenever I'm stuck on what sort of scheme i want for something. More importantly, it's the color that got me through most of my Malifaux collection, so outs always going to be a favourite of mine!

As for the other two, I've found them to be essential for painting most of my blacks and whites. The Wolf grey in particular is my key colour for painting undead skin, pale/vampire skin and almost every white I've ever painted. 

• Like 4

Hi there!

My pledge for June will definitely be the 3 Tengu.

1:
model-color-vallejo-yellow-green-70954.j

2:

game-color-vallejo-jade-green-72026.jpg

3:

game-color-vallejo-warlord-purple-72014.

Those 3 are my most consistently favourite colors, but the truth is I find myself finding new "favourite colors" every month or so XD

Among the most recent there's the model VMC green sky i used for the jorogumos skin, and later the whole fairy flesh set by nocturna models, comes with the right colos and a quick guide and basically is almost "auto-pilot" skin 🙃  There are some wips using just the set

kZEZWq5.jpg

xlxUAk2.jpg

• Like 5

Well for this month, I will try to do the Basse core box, so that's:
1/ Cornelius Basse for 15 SS
2/ Jonathan Reichart for 10 SS
3/ Frontiersman (and woman) for 3*5SS= 15 SS
4/ Bernadette Basse for 2 SS
So a total of 42 SS
BasseCrewPrimed.thumb.jpg.a849d5be287bbca70965364ed1d80f5c.jpg

Not sure yet how I will paint them, will probably end up a symphony of browns and greys with a dash of red here and there.

I'm too new to painting to give really the paints I'm always goes back too but I love these:
- VMC Violet: a really deep, saturated violet
- AK3rd Gen Oxford blue: some people like the Dark sea blue as a deep blue, I prefer this one for its purplis undertones instead of the greenish ones of the dark sea blue
- Not really a paint, but an ink: Daler & Rowney Payne's grey, a nice dark grey with blue undertones that goes extremely well onto metallics, especially steel and gunmetal

• Like 4

Hi, for this month I'm pledging Mah for a whole 15 SS by herself. I may add other thing if I got the time to buyback a mulligan.

jCGaA0B.jpg

As for my 3 favorite paints, well, it was a hard choice. I have so many greens that I like so I want to display other paints I use and that I really like.

-Vallejo Yellow Ochre, I have to thank this community for this find. It is marvelous to work with a color that is hard to work with: Yellow.

-Master Series Paint (MSP) Amethyst Purple. It a good color that mix well with purple and violet. It has a good coverage and mix well with other paints. Bellow you have an exemple.

-Citadel Screamer Pink. A wonderful redish pink. Pro: Make a good base color,  Con: Its in a pot...

B8iESgO.jpgqQ5mkdY.jpg

• Like 4

So for this month plan minimum is to paint 3 Daydreams and 3 Stitched. After that, as much as possible from December keyword.

painters-challenge-june2020-wip1.jpg

painters-challenge-june2020-wip2.jpg

First of all, GW Bleached Bone or any similar one. Perfect for adding highlights when mixed with a vast range of other colors and for final touches (at least in my style of painting).

Secondly - Army Painter Soft Tone. I know it's technically not a paint but i use it very frequently.

Third paint - this one needed some more thought but I'd go with Vallejo Game Color Charred Brown or Dark Fleshtone. Both have well defined tone and have excellent coverage properties and both are used very often.

• Like 8

Yikes, I spent the last few days wondering why nobody was posting. Turns out I was just set up for notifications from the May thread. I'm just bad at forum usage, lol.

So, I think what I'm actually going to pledge is Cassandra Felton and Angelica Durand. That would get me to my Henchman pledge. But then I want to finish up Kandara (she's so close to being done that I don't think she should count toward my score).

Then, assuming I motivate myself into it, I will do my buyback for one of the months I missed with Colette Du Bois and/or Miss Step, followed by finishing up Kudra (who is also real close, so I don't think she should count but I want to finish her).

Powerful ladies month I guess!

As for my paints...

I feel like it's a cheat, but Vallejo Glaze Medium is like one of my favorite things. I don't actually do cohesive color schemes most of the time and since getting into Malifaux I've been seriously loving color mixing because I can't really afford a lot of paints. Glaze medium (in a super convenient dropper bottle) is great for mixing colors and for layering too.

Next is just any solid black. I'm just a wannabe goth, so I incorporate lots of black into most of my minis.

Finally is Vallejo Silver. I used to have some GW Mithril Silver that I was stretching as far as possible because I didn't like the color that replaced it (Runefang?). Vallejo's Silver is beautifully bright, and it gives you a great base to mix in a color for all kinds of metallics that aren't sold.

20200606_213641.jpg

• Like 6

Hello everyone!

Here's some WiP for the Tengus

WnEUL9Z.jpg

happy with the beaks (the guy on the right has an almos finished beak) and the cloth (the guy on the left cloack will be the to-go color)
not so happy with the feathers 😕 the intention is go from a dark green and highlight to purple/magenta colors (the guy on the center has the best version so far)

I feel i'm missing sth here but not quite sure what, any suggestion is more than welcome

EDIT: i used already paint 2, and 3 of my favorites list :D (might use #1 too for highlights in the beak)

Edited by Diddick
added info about paints used
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

@Diddick, your minis look already very good.

Honestly the first thing that captured my attention was the green cape on the leftmost  mini, guess because of the fine highlight you worked out.

Thanks, this bit was very "highlighteable" :D there was plenty of space and the curve was going in outwards which made it easy to handle, the small folds in the trousers and the back of the cape are a different story...

4d99nZ9.jpg

ApNVaKI.jpg

just the eyes, the NMMs and the oni-style red glow bases to go and will be done. 

• Like 6

Argh, I though I had posted my pledge for June and I hadn't! So here it is, with some delays, my pledge:

* Draugr (7SS)

* Lampads (2x8 = 16 SS)

* Bone pile (2x6 = 12 SS)

* Mortimer (8 SS)

* Gravedigger (6 SS)

For a total of 49 SS, and finishing Reva's keyword. And since I just came to post one finished model, here is the Draugr

draugr1.jpg  draugr2.jpg

And my three favourite paints, in no specific order are:

* From Vallejo's Model air range, the Duck Egg Green (no joke). Whenever I don't know which colour use to highlight, this baby comes very handy.

* GW's Deathclaw brown, I like the colour itself, covers everything (as all GW layers) and it's a wonderful starting point when painting brown.

* GW's Reikland fleshsahde, not exactly a paint but I like it a lot, it helps when metals are way too shiny and clean, and do wonders with skin tones.

• Like 6

@Diddick: First of all, lovely paintwork, as usual.

So, here's my suggestion. If it works within your greater scheme, you could try a more saturated red on the tips of the feathers. Tengu are often portrayed with a very bright red (or at least that's what Google Images tells me). Maybe that would tie in with your red-glow bases as well?

My suggestion. Worth exactly two cents.

Regardless, loving the minis!

Caedrus.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Caedrus said:

So, here's my suggestion. If it works within your greater scheme, you could try a more saturated red on the tips of the feathers. Tengu are often portrayed with a very bright red (or at least that's what Google Images tells me). Maybe that would tie in with your red-glow bases as well?

I wanted to try a different color precisely bc the red was already on the base, but it is true that since i cannot make the highlight work as much as i'd like with hue, i might as well try with saturation 👌

Thanks!

• Like 1

So, i'm a pretty new(but old) paint er and I've tried to paint a warcry-warband(with very little succes) so I bought a nightmare whiskey golem and thoughts I'd try to paint it, i'm pretty happy with the result. Also, I had a badly assembled gracie at My disposal, so I removed some of the extra glue on it, and gave it a bit og paint, I actually verry happy with the result :) so I guess I'll pledge as an enforcer ;)

Hope you Guys like what I've made :)

IMG_20200607_145426.jpg

IMG_20200610_134808.jpg

• Like 8