Spelleaters

Yeah.  It was the most logical way to approach the new releases given the current Master balance across Factions.

I'm still not convinced that all the new releases will be Explorer's Faction though.  There's still plenty of room for existing Faction models that share Explorer Keywords as well.

Well, keyword feature allows to introduce Explorer only models with second keywords for other factions. We already have T-rex and these spiders confirmed. Even some other announced models from Apex boxes can be dual keyword.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:57 PM, theamazingmrg said:

Yeah.  It was the most logical way to approach the new releases given the current Master balance across Factions.

I'm still not convinced that all the new releases will be Explorer's Faction though.  There's still plenty of room for existing Faction models that share Explorer Keywords as well.

It's possible that not ALL will be Explorer's but I'm betting it'll only be a handful that aren't, if they aren't. For one simple reason, faction balance.

The existing Factions have 70-75 models in each faction. That's a lot of models that every one not innately Explorer's, will increase that disparity.

The other issue is that as it stands, the two existing Masters are already quite flush. While Wastrel is literally the least diverse and least plentiful Master in the game (excepting Master/Totem, 4 unique models, 8 total models, 50SS options), with Ophelia being the only one close (7U, 9T, 58SS), if you doubled Wastrel's options in Explorer's, he'd only be behind Misaki, Shen and Asami for options. Basse is already in second place for Guild. Meaning that I doubt either of these are going to have more than some token Explorer's Guild options. Meaning that the other crews will need to provide sufficient options to make the Faction as a whole at least look proper.

The difference is Zipp existed as Bayou only in 2nd edition so never had any reason to have other out of faction models; we're lucky we have Johan(a) at all.  Where as Jack Daw already had access to all those Resser models when he was just Outcast, so making him dual faction was almost a no brainer.

And Basse didn't exist at all, so I imagine its possible they had a rough idea of the full frontier crew, and then worked out how to split it between the two. Other Masters (Hoffman and Marcus spring to mind) that became duel faction still don't have as little cross over as Zipp. Wastrel almost certainly needs something extra from the explorers, and I would expect something Frontier, but its not guaranteed.

If I remember the beta right Infamous varied from 0 outcast only models to up to 3, depending on what stage we were at, ending at 1.

• 3 months later...
35 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

..... ew.  Maybe I'm not so excited about Spelleaters anymore.  Those legs are gonna be hella tough to base.

I felt the same way when I saw the art (from the card) then the legs.  I'm hoping there's enough contact that I can pin em (as I was able to even pin Kitty / new misaki without too much heartache).  That said, part of me wants to just hit up my bits box / ToS male mutipiece sets and give em some darned legs!

Maybe if they're gonna be spiders we can get more legs, like Jorogumo?

I have no problem drydering them out for the sake of balance.... but they'll probably be on 30mm bases, which will be hard.  I shouldn't have sold all my Tyranids bits!

• 3 weeks later...