Jump to content
Ming

Ideas for upcoming errata (outcast)

Recommended Posts

I fully expect Wyrd will say "yep, Hannah is phrased correctly".  Because as I said, 3 action 9-10 soulstone models are practically the norm.  We can add Yasunori (onslaught), The First Mate (fast), Sensei Yu (hands out fast), Manos (Leap with attack trigger and suit gain), Bishop (fast), War Pigs (Reckless), Howard Langston (free attack/walk), Joss (Bonus action obey), Ototo (assassin), The Judge (Bonus action 2/4/5 attack), Whiskey Golem (nimble)... you know, I've made my point.  

You'll tend to notice a theme in ones that are 2 action, and that is that they're doing something outside their activation (like Hayridden summoning Terror Tots whenever something is killed) or that they're not actually all that good*.  That's why Arik is often considered a counterpick model, if you're not getting value out of the Gravity Well he's actually not great.  


*Or are Kitty Dumont and have Action: Draw 3 cards, because who cares what else is printed on the card when you can take an action to draw 3?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RisingPhoenix said:

Ototo (assassin)

Every Last Blossom have Assassin ... Poor Ototo

Sorry for the interruption , I read Ototo and I had to write something even if this is not my land xD 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean sure, and most of Parker's Crew have Life of Crime, not just Mad Dog.  It's still Fast.

Don't try to tell me Ototo is bad and Ten Thunders has bad models.  I actually try to avoid listing them too often because their models are so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ototo is the best buddy ever.  He can finally shine after a second edition in the closet . But this is not the TT subforum so I will take my leave in favour of the real thread topic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

But instead she's Viktoria's only Henchmen.  She's literally the Viks only in-keyword Henchman.  And boy would you often be better off spending 10 soulstones for Alyce (who again has 3 actions).  Hannah has 3 actions and Arcane Reservoir (which is certainly worth a stone).  Mad Dog Brackett has 3 actions (fast).

I love Viktoria and i only take Taelor as an antisummoning tech piece.... where she excels in that role.

She even sucks in Henchman Hardcore because there's no summoning in that game!

  • Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

I love Viktoria and i only take Taelor as an antisummoning tech piece.... where she excels in that role.

She even sucks in Henchman Hardcore because there's no summoning in that game!

Which summoner does she counter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should have Welcome to Malifaux work on all place effects but make it once per turn to prevent abuse (its like a more situational flurry that you can get movement out of).

Also, if you've seen Taelor's new art she has a bottle of alcohol in one hand, so it'd be a good excuse to give her a healing bonus action to make her less fragile.

Lastly, the Mercenary crew as a whole is lacking in card draw / manipulation / access to:+flipflips which makes them a bit lacklustre compared to more consistently beaty crews (Lady J has the Judge/scales, Nekima has focus spam, Levi has scavengers and is self sufficient, Misaki has the Tanuki and models with:+flip) maybe they could be improved by fixing one of our sub-par upgrades and making it provide consistent card draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LexLock said:

Which summoner does she counter?

I had a good turn out with her vs Dashel, as well as Hamelin.  I don't take Vik's often so I didn't have enough chances to try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jesy Blue said:
7 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

I fully expect Wyrd will say "yep, Hannah is phrased correctly".  Because as I said, 3 action 9-10 soulstone models are practically the norm.  We can add Yasunori (onslaught), The First Mate (fast), Sensei Yu (hands out fast), Manos (Leap with attack trigger and suit gain), Bishop (fast), War Pigs (Reckless), Howard Langston (free attack/walk), Joss (Bonus action obey), Ototo (assassin), The Judge (Bonus action 2/4/5 attack), Whiskey Golem (nimble)... you know, I've made my point.  

You'll tend to notice a theme in ones that are 2 action, and that is that they're doing something outside their activation (like Hayridden summoning Terror Tots whenever something is killed) or that they're not actually all that good*.

So.. What's Obliteration's substitute for a third action? Does the ability to give out fast to the enemies and *sometimes* managing to get one for yourself without smacking your own models with 10SS Henchman count? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

I fully expect Wyrd will say "yep, Hannah is phrased correctly".  Because as I said, 3 action 9-10 soulstone models are practically the norm.  We can add Yasunori (onslaught), The First Mate (fast), Sensei Yu (hands out fast), Manos (Leap with attack trigger and suit gain), Bishop (fast), War Pigs (Reckless), Howard Langston (free attack/walk), Joss (Bonus action obey), Ototo (assassin), The Judge (Bonus action 2/4/5 attack), Whiskey Golem (nimble)... you know, I've made my point.  

You'll tend to notice a theme in ones that are 2 action, and that is that they're doing something outside their activation (like Hayridden summoning Terror Tots whenever something is killed) or that they're not actually all that good*.  That's why Arik is often considered a counterpick model, if you're not getting value out of the Gravity Well he's actually not great.  


*Or are Kitty Dumont and have Action: Draw 3 cards, because who cares what else is printed on the card when you can take an action to draw 3?

If that's the case then Hannah needs to go up in cost. I'm not playing it that way and happily paying 11ss out of keyword for her.

Siphon power and easy access to focus takes her damage track to insane levels. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CustosUmbra said:

 

Christ, lets avoid buffing Obliteration, shall we?  Tara's already arguably the strongest outcast master, and inarguably top 3.  Obliteration's substitute for it, such as it is, is that they have an infinitely mobile crew with the ability to bury themselves and teleport across the entire battlefield, a 5 AP master that hands you activation control, a 6 stone henchman with a 3/4/5 damage track and the ability to rip all conditions off an enemy and do 2 damage per condition, summoning, and the ability to drain AP away from your enemy by just burying any model that strays from their bubble and kicking it right back to the bubble.  Plus absurd levels of activation control that resemble M2E Hamlin, and Aionius' ability to literally cancel enemy activations from anywhere on the board (they just... don't activate.  That costs you a pass token).  Oh and a crew that can all focus fire and kill a model from anywhere on the board.  Effectively infinite range guns if they need to kill something, as long as one of them can get off a Glimpse the Void.  

No, The Nothing Beast is not the strongest 9 stone model in the entire game.  It's not top 10, it's probably not top 20.  The crew has a few other things going on.  

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Taelor is worth 9 stones in a vacuum, but she's not worth 10 and she's rarely worth bringing in mercenary because there's zero synergy (I guess once every 5 matches you'll line it up so she can hit something after a Vik with That One Counts as Mine), and she doesn't bring much the Viks aren't already doing for you. I don't think they can fix the latter problem with errata but versatile could at least let other crews use her.

Or change bloody fate to good for a laugh so there's real card draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

Plus absurd levels of activation control that resemble M2E Hamlin, and Aionius' ability to literally cancel enemy activations from anywhere on the board (they just... don't activate.  That costs you a pass token).

 

Just checking that you realise they will still get to activate the model later, so you are trading activation control ( it's like you spent your pass token to chain activate so it sort of costs you 2 activation) for order control. 

( not counting that I generally spend a lot of effort trying to get any fast on enemy models. And if you don't use that activation to remove their fast you still have to face that model with extra AP). 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

 Plus absurd levels of activation control that resemble M2E Hamlin, and Aionius' ability to literally cancel enemy activations from anywhere on the board (they just... don't activate.  That costs you a pass token).  

1) Not from anywhere, just within LoS which can be obscured in numerous ways, if you find the delayed activation troublesome. 

2) The target must have Fast.

3) Aionus must have Pass Tokens. So he either must have fewer models or use one of his 2 AP to get some. 

4) The model that would skip its activation still gets to activate later, which is meaningless if you don't mind activating it last. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Adran said:

Just checking that you realise they will still get to activate the model later, so you are trading activation control ( it's like you spent your pass token to chain activate so it sort of costs you 2 activation) for order control. 

( not counting that I generally spend a lot of effort trying to get any fast on enemy models. And if you don't use that activation to remove their fast you still have to face that model with extra AP). 

Yes, I do know how my own models work, thank you.  It allows you enormous control over their actions.  For instance if they set up a beater to dive on you, you can give it fast, and then prevent it from activating while you kill it.  This trades activation control for AP advantage (their big beater model simply never goes, it just dies).  If you do it right, you can get an entire round of attacks on it with your activation control from the round before, go, prevent it from activating, and get another set of attacks on it.  

If you think Obliteration is weak, try playing it for ten or so games, and focus on what plays you can make every turn.  There's infinite clever plays you can make, which is the reason Tara is winning so much.  It's definitely not an Outcast keyword that needs any buffs.   At the moment all it needs is Void Hunter models so I can stop using a proxy.

Oh and you almost always get 2 pass tokens with Aionus turns 1 and 2.  It's a really ridiculous ability.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RisingPhoenix said:

Yes, I do know how my own models work, thank you.  It allows you enormous control over their actions.  For instance if they set up a beater to dive on you, you can give it fast, and then prevent it from activating while you kill it.  This trades activation control for AP advantage (their big beater model simply never goes, it just dies).  If you do it right, you can get an entire round of attacks on it with your activation control from the round before, go, prevent it from activating, and get another set of attacks on it.  

If you think Obliteration is weak, try playing it for ten or so games, and focus on what plays you can make every turn.  There's infinite clever plays you can make, which is the reason Tara is winning so much.  It's definitely not an Outcast keyword that needs any buffs.   At the moment all it needs is Void Hunter models so I can stop using a proxy.

Oh and you almost always get 2 pass tokens with Aionus turns 1 and 2.  It's a really ridiculous ability.  

Fair enough, You'd be surprised the number of people that do mis-read things, and the way you phrased it wasn't clear that you had it right, enough so that I thought it was worth clarifying for people that didn't know even if you did. 

I don't think Obliteration is weak, but whilst I agree Buffering has the potential to be good, its something I've found to be only situationally useful. It requires me to have pass tokens, which as a summoner probably means I have had to activate in a set way before hand, as I need to make sure I have a model buried, and I also need to have activated Aionius and his ability.  It also typically requires me to win the duel to give them fast, and have my crew set up to take advantage of the beater, and probably be able to kill it in 2 activations. It also is much less use if my opponent has more than 1 good activation possible because then they just don't activate the fast model if they don't want to.  Its not exclusively a way to take advantage of an enemy mistake, but certainly the best of situations you listed do sound like they are most likely to occur after my opponent has made a mistake.

It could also be the way I play. I generally don't like Companion and similar abilities, and rarely use them, and this can be a weak companion, so I don't look to maximise it, because I don't often like the outcome. (The described outcome you have is when it is worth it, but I've seen lots of people use companion, and other such things for no real benefit a lot of the time).  

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information