Hoffman in M3E - what to add

The_death_jester

Hi all, 

Very new back to the game having not played since 1st ed. Have a Hoffman crew that I have been playing straight out of the box. Do people have any suggestion for what to add to the crew to make it a bit more well rounded? Hunters are great but I find I'm not getting a huge amount of value out of the Watcher.

14 minutes ago, trikk said:

Mobile Toolkit is #1. Ryle is #2. Ryle can also proxy Melissa for now so both are super important to have.

It's also worth noting, that IMHO Hoffman is better as AR than Guild.

yes, way better, with soulstone miners and arachnid swarms as versatiles...

37 minutes ago, The_death_jester said:

Forgive the ignorance but isn't Ryle now dead mans hand only? I'd like to keep tournament legal if possible. Cheers for the advice 🙂

You can still proxy Melissa with it. DMH being tournament legal is still open for debate.

26 minutes ago, longfanz said:

yes, way better, with soulstone miners and arachnid swarms as versatiles...

Magical Training and Diesel Engines +Mech Rider giving rams

38 minutes ago, trikk said:

You can still proxy Melissa with it. DMH being tournament legal is still open for debate.

Magical Training and Diesel Engines +Mech Rider giving rams

True but in the end I think it will be banned, Ramos and collodi are pretty nasty, Ryle with the agent is nasty as well

schemes now are hard as hell. In a lot of them you have to interact on the other side of the table if not on the enemy deployment zone, you need something to run schemes, watchers are fast but very easy to kill :( it is quite sad to see Hoff moving 4 twice and interact to get a point.

• Like 1

I prefer to run Hoffman with arcanist upgrades, but if you wanna play with guild this is the list i would play.

Soul Stone Cache: 4
[Masters]
 - Charles Hoffman, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Joss
   + Lead-Lined Coat
 - Melissa K.O.R.E.
[Enforcers]
 - Peacekeeper
 - Mobile Toolkit
 - Mechanical Attendant
[Minions]
 - Guardian
 - Watcher

0. Mechanical attendant!!! Hoffman’s personal healer. Also the magnet (while it takes practice not to scatter the Hoffball beyond recovery) is a great mobility tool.

Arcanist Augmented before Guild ones, excepting Miss Kore. I don’t care what people say, Df4 peacekeeper is far too much of a liability and gets destroyed in match-ups without armor piercing. Riotbreakers are like watchers, situational—and when the situation does occur you’ll want multiples (eat Crowd Control, Viks/Zoraida/etc.). Exception: nobody knows what to do with steamfitters yet, those are absolutely the back of the queue, behind the CONSTRUCTS.

On 7/8/2019 at 5:23 AM, The_death_jester said:

As for his playstyle with guild is it basically form a block around him and use the watcher and a single hunter to run schemes? 

Not necessarily. 6” is a big enough circle that stompybots can be a tad independent of the Hoffball now. Also, Toss is the greatest mobility tool nobody accounts for: one action for 10” movement is efficient!

On 7/8/2019 at 3:50 AM, trikk said:

+Mech Rider giving rams

*looks at Soulstone Cache* Hm.

I'm a big Hoffman fan, I do think he's more interesting Arcanists due to the reasons trikk pointed out. I would also just mention that everything he wants from Guild he can port over into an Arcanist list due to the keyword system. Unless you were really hankering for a Guild upgrade or out of keyword model, Arcanists just offer so much more to the Hoff.

But I like the Peacekeeper, Watchers and Hunters to bits. I'm halfway convinced the Guardian has a place for movement shenanigans, but I'm not entirely certain (ironically out of keyword it is more exciting to me to throw Sonnia or Lady J up then try to soak fire for important pieces).

26 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

, Toss is the greatest mobility tool nobody accounts for: one action for 10” movement 

Yup I agree toss is great. Tossed Hoffman at an already activated Perdita Ortega yesterday which gave me enough actions with Hoff to box her and place a scheme marker for a crucial VP. 

I have only played him with Guild so far, mostly because I was messing around with other guild things as well.  One thing I have liked out of Keyword with him has been a Lawyer.  The ability to give one or two model's Shielded +2 has proven rough for some of my opponents.  Sometimes when I don't need the two models with Shielded I try to get the Tome on its bonus action for the extra card draw.  I have also had him pick up some high cards and shuffled a low card out in turn.

I have found that I have rarely maintained the Hoff Ball in M3E, often everyone starts within 6" but they do not remain so.  It seems the majority of the time I end up more as a line with hoffman supplying his effort in the part he will be needed the most.  As long as a construct has a power token for Transfer power I am less worried about them spreading out.  That said I am loving the Peacekeeper with Hoffman.  It draws attention and while low defense the built in Hard to Wound has been gold.  He has tanked so much damage, even when armor ignoring options have been on the field.  Either Hoffman uses the trigger on his torch to make sure it is not a problem, I have had shielded on him, or Hard to Wound kept the damage low enough he could stay in there and be healed.

1 hour ago, Dark Reaper said:

It seems very hard to get any meaningful card draw in the crew, and your moderate cards will probably disappear to simple duels on your own models, giving fast and focus. Have anyone found a good solution for this?

The primary card draw models in Guild are:

Allison, Judge, Reid or Nellie + Press.

• Agree 1

True. I put one or more of those in pretty much every list, and I'll probably end up with one of those with Hoffman as well. 😋 I just feel he is a little more dependent on in keyword models than most of our other masters, being a buff bot, and can hardly afford to pay for a judge in the same way that Sonnia or Perdita can.

Maybe I am wrong and that he just needs to get some good cards for Ryle to wreak havoc with.

• Agree 1

On 7/14/2019 at 9:48 PM, EnternalVoid said:

That said I am loving the Peacekeeper with Hoffman.  It draws attention and while low defense the built in Hard to Wound has been gold.  He has tanked so much damage, even when armor ignoring options have been on the field.  Either Hoffman uses the trigger on his torch to make sure it is not a problem, I have had shielded on him, or Hard to Wound kept the damage low enough he could stay in there and be healed.

Until your first encounter with Shenlong - then he's dead in one activation 😛

2 hours ago, Tris said:

Until your first encounter with Shenlong - then he's dead in one activation 😛

Is Shenlong really that bad of a dude? His kit's cool and all, but assuming that Tempered Steel works against Irreducible Damage, he's chewing through the rough stuff like the rest of the masters, yeah?

2 hours ago, Kharnage said:

Is Shenlong really that bad of a dude? His kit's cool and all, but assuming that Tempered Steel works against Irreducible Damage, he's chewing through the rough stuff like the rest of the masters, yeah?

Assuming the armor can't be ignored works, it's still not on your whole crew, it' not there if he has initiative if I remember correctly and he still treats every :-flip as :+flip which means that the Peacekeeper htw is actually really, really bad (as the Peacekeeper was the model we where talking about)