Monthly painting challenge - February

Franchute

@Kimberly - Your Raspy is looking great! ... now if only I could see her face ;)

@Aa7 - Kaeris's wings are beautiful. Nice work! 

@RustAndTheCity - Thank you for the picture tips. I never thought of tinfoil.  I'll have to try that out. Francois, like the others, is amazing. As was stated, the finished crew is going to be legendary!

@wobbly_goggy - I really like your SS miners. They are really clean and the bases are excellent.

@Joachim - I never thought to use Nihilakh Oxide for eyes, but seriously, Ikiriyo's eyes are PERFECT! Damn, she looks creepy! and her dirty robe is perfect. Amazing work all around!

@Franchute - to echo everyone else, that eye on the spider is really ace. Well done, excellent work.

@Viruk - I really like that yellow you used for Hannah's exo-suit. I really admire your style. It's so clean and vibrant, and I really like how smooth the colors come out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hi all!

OK, a belated update on progress so far:

Nurse (6ss): IMG_20180215_200752.jpg
Papa Loco (7ss): IMG_20180215_200614.jpg
Drowned (6ss): IMG_20180215_200647.jpg

For a total of 19ss.

Life has, as always, conspired to keep me away from the painting table this month, and I'm up against it to get the rest of this month's pledge done.  Still resolving to get them all finished though.

I promise the models above look better in real life than they do in the pictures; they're not quite as blobby as these images suggest.  I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet & get a daylight lamp; at the moment I'm painting on the coffee table in the living room about 8 feet from the ceiling light, and it's amazing how different the models look in that environment to when I take the photos under a brighter light.

Cheers all!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Nice paint job @Strangely Brown. And good luck with your Jack Daw crew :)

I might painting my few zombies at some point: which colours do you use to paint the skin?

Thank you ^_^

For dead skin I use Vallejo pale flesh, and wash with a mix of GW flesh wash/GW purple wash.  Then just apply layers of Vallejo pale skin thinned with Lahmium medium.

For slightly fresher dead I use Carroburg Crimson wash instead of purple in the wash mix.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

Thank you ^_^

For dead skin I use Vallejo pale flesh, and wash with a mix of GW flesh wash/GW purple wash.  Then just apply layers of Vallejo pale skin thinned with Lahmium medium.

For slightly fresher dead I use Carroburg Crimson wash instead of purple in the wash mix.

Thanks. I remember the drowned of @Burnin' Coal and @Viruk were pretty cool too. Do you guys use a similar recipe?

37 minutes ago, Franchute said:

@Joachim these minis are great. Which colours did you use for the cream white you used on the gakis and the dirt?

And which Chilean wine do you drink? :D

Thanks, it is a mix of skull white (all colors I use are from Vallejo) with leather brown and a very small amount of black to make a bit more greyish. I then used glaze medium to make some smooth transition from pure white on the ridges of the folds and a darker grey in the recesses to create a nice contrast. Finally I used german grey to stipple a darker grey brown from the bottom up, adding some more of this dark color in the recesses and some dark spots to create an extra dirty effect at the bottom of the robes. I then applied a watered down sepia wash and i carefully wipe it off with a cloth to remove it from the ridges.I also let quite a bit of wash collect in the recesses. So breaking some normal rules of painting which is fun :).

Can't remember which bottle exactly, but we drank a bottle of casillero del diablo recently, I think that that's from chile?

On 20/02/2018 at 1:13 PM, Franchute said:

Thanks. I remember the drowned of @Burnin' Coal and @Viruk were pretty cool too. Do you guys use a similar recipe?

@Franchute Thanks - the core color I used was Vallejo Game Color "Dead Flesh" laid in many layers over a base of Vallejo Cadmium Maroon with shadows of Game Color Hexed Lichen

@mrcoblin Really like your color choice on the Ice Dancers

@Joachim Great palette and excellent blending on Asura Roten

@Franchute re your color choice for the blade on Francisco - it made me go "wow !" so IMHO totally works and again very impressive blending

For myself I can feel the month closing in on me with a lot of painting to do yet...that said have made progress from primer and plastic so will get a WIP up tomorrow 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Franchute said:

I'm a bit frustated by the colours I used for the blade. It gives the impression it is an ice sword. Anyway I know how to paint my ice gamins now :)

You are frustrated by those colours, and here I was thinking "man, that it's a cool sword"... fantastic piece of work!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1