Angel Eyes

So with the rules shown for Angel Eyes here I wanted other peoples opinion - especially the more experienced Neverborn players. Personally I'm excited, a ranged damage model which doesn't randomize into combat and a (0) sh action. As a nephilim Angel has obvious synergies with Lilith and I'd love to see her and Tuco together. Also the model looks nice :)

I like the idea of her with perfect camouflage and obsidian talons in a Nephilim crew because I am not planning on having another model in 2 of her so that way she does not get blast damage. In a  non heavy Nephilim crew I still keep her with perfect camouflage and probably pact, I do not want the black joker to mess up my plans with her. I think she is going to be seen often, not because she is great but because Neverborn do not have something quite like her and she will probably spend the first turn getting into position and the rest focus and shooting. She may also have an upgrade for her, that is not abnormal with henchmen. 

She is something that was missing in  the Neverborn, a true range support model. Now did we need one, meh I got buy just fine without one but I sure am going to get her model. I suspect to sum she will become something like Izamu for a few resers, a model that does a needed role that was missing very well, so we may see a lot of her.

I hope that I will not have to use Sidearm, I rather have her doing range support and not that close to my enemy. There are also turns where I will stone for a ram, a 2 minimum damage is not that good at time and is what keeps her from being to much of a killer; well that and being one of the few snipers in the game that gains nothing extra from focus.

Note you also want to charge so she can still see, which is a new problem for us. Final thoughts: I love the 10 thunder archers and she what happens when one of them and a Trapper have a kid.

I think Angel Eyes will have a great place in a lot of crews.

1) Being a beginner model, her abilities are straight forward and not complicated, meaning they can stand alone regardless of crew

2) Being ranged and able to shoot into melee, she is happy with crews of any makeup

3) She looks like she could be fairly survivable against incidental attacks with the healing and movement triggers, allowing her to shoot more. She won't likely stand up to a focused attack, but playing from the back of the crew should help reduce some of that anyway

I like the idea of running her with Lilith even though I rarely take many Nephilim besides Barbaros these days. Her ability to shoot into melee could be very beneficial if Lilith ended up pulling something in close and then not finishing it off. Or for finishing something off before Lilith activates so Lilith can pull the next thing in.

At Sh6 I wouldn't focus unless 4 dmg would kill the target outright. Two shots at min dmg is still 4 dmg, but two opportunities for higher damage flips and two opportunities for stoning/cheating crit strike makes two shots more appealing to me. I plan to use her to put some pain on Colette's robo stuff.

She seems like a cheaper and weaker version of McTavish. I feel like much of the time I would be willing to spend the extra 2SS to get McTavish instead but OTOH she doesn't need as much support to get full benefit so I'm not saying she doesn't have a place. I do hope that her Upgrade is a good one.

I think that Math has kind of hit it on the head. MacTavish kind of eats Angel Eye's lunch when it comes to "a gun that doesn't randomize". The big thing that she has going for her are the Nephilim characteristic, really. That being said, that's not nothing. She has a lot of potential as a ranged Growth option; taking her with, say, two Terror Tots to Grow 14 inches from the enemy refunds most of her cost, and she's already decent for the stones. She also brings a nice little self heal and Black Blood for pustule use. I am a lot more likely to take the Nephilim package under her than under Nekima, any way.

Honestly? Sidearm is the ability on her card that has me most excited. Having a nice little free six-inch attack to finish off Hard to Kill models and guarantee a heal is certainly a nice tool to have.

I have high hopes for the Bloodwretches. If we get a Black Blood model with more wounds than hiring cost, we could see a bit of a shift in the sub-faction. Suddenly, getting into a straight up attrition slugfest is a legitimate option!

• Like 5

I think that Math has kind of hit it on the head. MacTavish kind of eats Angel Eye's lunch when it comes to "a gun that doesn't randomize". The big thing that she has going for her are the Nephilim characteristic, really. That being said, that's not nothing. She has a lot of potential as a ranged Growth option; taking her with, say, two Terror Tots to Grow 14 inches from the enemy refunds most of her cost, and she's already decent for the stones. She also brings a nice little self heal and Black Blood for pustule use. I am a lot more likely to take the Nephilim package under her than under Nekima, any way.

Honestly? Sidearm is the ability on her card that has me most excited. Having a nice little free six-inch attack to finish off Hard to Kill models and guarantee a heal is certainly a nice tool to have.

I have high hopes for the Bloodwretches. If we get a Black Blood model with more wounds than hiring cost, we could see a bit of a shift in the sub-faction. Suddenly, getting into a straight up attrition slugfest is a legitimate option!

*like*

Don't forget that she's also competing with Friekorps Trappers for 2SS less in the sniper spot. 

She'll do more damage at less than 6" than a trapper and has the ability to move out of engagement just like the trapper, while the Trapper will consistent do more damage at long range. She fights better in close combat and can carry upgrades as well.  I'd say defenses are slightly in favor of Angel Eyes since she can use SS, but the Trapper has From the Shadows in its favor.  If I just wanted a model purely to snipe, I'd probably hire the trapper, but I'll certainly have to play with angel eyes before passing final judgement.

I'll have to think about some filthy Angel Eyes/master combos to really put her through the paces.

• Like 1

Just speculating here but as both her main attacks have the "hide in shadows " trigger it's not unreasonable to assume that her upgrade will give her from the shadows. If she can give that to other nephilim or gain an additional defensive or utility ability or action she could be quite good. I may need to bring my painting and modeling supplies to gencon.

I find it hard to compare her to both Nekima and Barbie since they seem to do such radically different stuff. Same thing with Candy, Widow Weaver etc.

The only one(?) doing a similar job is McTavish. As I already said I think McT is way better and worth the extra stones. I have never really had any problems with my Nephs splashing blood on McT since he can usually keep outside of their tiny pulse even if he is engaged to the same model. I'm sure Angel Eyes will find her own niche. I can see her carrying Obsidian Talons to give my nephs som oomph in a Lucius list, love to cheat in severe dmg with a Tot every now and then to put the fear in my opponents tot-hunters.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Angel eyes + Mysterious Emissary for the start of a campaign. Emissary stayed near Angel Eyes popping out changelings with the default no-master upgrade. Changelings were borrowing Angel Eyes rifle attack with the positive twists... it was pretty glorious. the other side had one Tot double sprint up to engage the enemy rifleman until Barbaros could catch up and mop them and the two guardsman up.

• Like 2

Angel eyes + Mysterious Emissary for the start of a campaign. Emissary stayed near Angel Eyes popping out changelings with the default no-master upgrade. Changelings were borrowing Angel Eyes rifle attack with the positive twists... it was pretty glorious. the other side had one Tot double sprint up to engage the enemy rifleman until Barbaros could catch up and mop them and the two guardsman up.

That is downright evil and I will totally not be stealing it when my local group gets around to running a campaign.