Wyrd at Gen Con 2014

CaseyJ

I feel like there is a lot of complaining about what order Wyrd releases their plastics. I just want to say their stuff looks fantastic and not everyone is going to like every model they make. I am sure they are doing the best they can to get stuff out as fast as possible.

• Like 5

We're still 19 days away -- despite last year's extremely early GenCon announcement (the earliest I've found is May 8th http://goo.gl/yPQoKU, 99 days before GenCon), 2012 and 2011 searches come up showing they didn't announce anything until August (granted, all the old forums are gone, so it's possible they posted things here in June or July) -- they're not late with announcements, yet.

Guys/Gals, we get a new Chronicles on Aug. 1. That's when we'll see everything (that's my UNOFFICIAL speculation). I wouldn't expect anything (beyond the artwork we've seen) before the Chronicles. 

Makes sense. Kinda makes me wonder if they intentionally brought back the chronicles and FAQ on the months they did so that there is a chronicles right before GenCon and an FAQ right after.

I think Wyrd would have to be really dumb to put out wave 2 plastic masters before they even have the wave 1 Masters done. Then it just looks bad like they can't finish what they start and they will just jump on to the next thing before being done with the last.  Well that is my 2 cents.

Wyrd would have to be really dumb to put out wave 2 plastic masters before they even have the wave 1 Masters done. Then it just looks bad like they can't finish what they start and they will just jump on to the next thing before being done with the last.  Well that is my 2 cents.

It's pretty normal practice in the wargames industry though. All the major wargames companies I can think of have released new stuff before all their "old" stuff is available, and they do it on a regular basis too.

• Like 1

It's pretty normal practice in the wargames industry though. All the major wargames companies I can think of have released new stuff before all their "old" stuff is available, and they do it on a regular basis too.

It is and I hate it when happens all the time. Just because it is the normal practice does not mean I have to like it.

• Like 1

I think Wyrd would have to be really dumb to put out wave 2 plastic masters before they even have the wave 1 Masters done. Then it just looks bad like they can't finish what they start and they will just jump on to the next thing before being done with the last.  Well that is my 2 cents.

For any Wave 1 that's not readily available in metal, I'd be inclined to agree.  On the other hand, if (for example) they know that they've got 2000 metal Zoraida box sets sitting in the warehouse, it would make a lot of sense for them to postpone creating a plastic set for her.  Creating a plastic set for Collette, whose metal supply has largely dried up, would make much more sense.

When I look at the web store, and see how many of the plastic sets there are, that they still have a backlog of metal sets for, I kind of feel sorry for Wyrd.  Those metals have to be moving really slowly, and even just sitting on them in a warehouse costs them money.  I would imagine there was some discussion over whether it was worth moving some things to the new warehouse, or just selling them as scrap to a recycler.

Footnote:  No, I don't have any inside information - I looked in the store, saw metal Zoraida, thought of the speculation of a Zoraida kit, and made up a number that seemed like a large, but not unreasonable, stock level.

It is and I hate it when happens all the time. Just because it is the normal practice does not mean I have to like it.

You're not taking into account that issues arise in production that requires them to go back and rework sculpts. They don't discover these kinds of isues until months later; during which time they've moved on to work on other sculpts. These newer sculpts turn out to be fine for production, so get out quickly, while they have to rework older ones. There's a process, folks. :)

• Like 2

Creating a plastic set for Collette, whose metal supply has largely dried up...

When I stumbled across a Coryphee Duet online, that's actually why I passed on it.  I speculate that Colette will be one of the first Wave 2 sets out there due to how sparse the availability is -- if they weren't going to release new Showgirls models, they would have simply ordered more metals to be cast and sent out.

As for the metal models, that's a tough one.  My only gripe there is there was no real need for new Ramos, Marcus, or Raspy crews with Wave 1 -- sure, they're nice, but we could have been fine with just 1 -- where Tara and Fuhatsu didn't have models at all.  I suspect the models they went with weren't based on availability, but a proven track record of which crews would both sell and were easy enough for people totally new to the game to pick up and play.  Tara is a hard Master to master, Raspy not so much... If someone's first foray into Malifaux were someone difficult to play, they may not come back.

• Like 1