Wyrd at Gen Con 2014

CaseyJ

I'd actually be surprised if we only see the "upcoming" Wave 1 stuff at GenCon, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see stuff like Von Schill or Zoraida at all, and they just get released in Sep/Oct or something. GenCon is about new and exciting for company releases, and I for one, not just as a player, but from the perspective of the business (putting myself in their shoes, not saying I'm in any way affiliated - I'm not) I think it would be a big misstep not to have some boxes out of Crossroads available.

Yeah but it's also dumb to have a brand new book out without model support.  I totally agree with what you said above btw.  That and they have to get all the Through the Breach kickstarter orders handled too.  I think it would be very bad business to not have those kickstarters out the door and be selling the RPGs books at GenCon. 

I totally agree that it's completely stupid to have a Wave 2 book with rules for the existing Wave 2 metal models without having all of the Wave 2 plastics out.

I agree that I and everyone else shouldn't be able to use any of our Wave 2 models while Wyrd has production issues.  The obvious choice is to not play the game at all then play with, gasp, old models.

Geez, Wyrd, stop being such a small business!

/sarcasm + hyperbole

Through the Breach shipped out 1-2 weeks ago for KS backers (with bonus models due to the delay), though I'm not sure ALL the orders were done. I think the ones with Hannah didn't go out yet -- maybe. Denying everyone else the ability to buy TtB because some orders -- that had non-book-related extras -- didn't ship out would be financial negligence on Wyrd's part considering how big a market Gencon is for them.

Patience. Models will be released. I've heard their business relies on it or something to that effect.

I don't get why Crew predictions are being weighted so heavily by single model artwork that has been spoiled. They're guaranteed to have artwork completed for every model in the game since its needed for Crossroads and the Wave 2 Arsenal Decks.

I'd base my predictions on entire Crew artwork that's likely to be plastered on the front of a Crew box. From my recollection that would put Zoraida, Von Schill, Ophelia, Jack Daw, and Leveticus as the most likely GenCon releases.

My other guesses would be a 'Miss Direction' performer model, based on the comment that it's a limited edition sculpt. And my wild guess at the Nightmare Crew would be Pandora; I like the idea that the mysterious 'Rafkin' art is an adult Baby Kade. Or just a one-off alt-sculpt Kade.

• Like 1

I'd base my predictions on entire Crew artwork that's likely to be plastered on the front of a Crew box. From my recollection that would put Zoraida, Von Schill, Ophelia, Jack Daw, and Leveticus as the most likely GenCon releases.

The crew box art is just (somewhat crudely) copy pasteing the individual portraits onto the stock background they use. If they have the pic for the book/card, they have it for the box art.

I don't get why Crew predictions are being weighted so heavily by single model artwork that has been spoiled. They're guaranteed to have artwork completed for every model in the game since its needed for Crossroads and the Wave 2 Arsenal Decks.

I wouldn't count on this.  Art for things like Flesh Constructs contained just one image in the Arsenal decks/book but with the alternative Flesh Construct you got the second image contained within the box.  Other examples include things like Convict Gunslingers and Desperate Mercs.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen again which means the art has been spoiled is more likely to see boxes in my book.

I totally agree that it's completely stupid to have a Wave 2 book with rules for the existing Wave 2 metal models without having all of the Wave 2 plastics out.

I agree that I and everyone else shouldn't be able to use any of our Wave 2 models while Wyrd has production issues.  The obvious choice is to not play the game at all then play with, gasp, old models.

Geez, Wyrd, stop being such a small business!

/sarcasm + hyperbole

Through the Breach shipped out 1-2 weeks ago for KS backers (with bonus models due to the delay), though I'm not sure ALL the orders were done. I think the ones with Hannah didn't go out yet -- maybe. Denying everyone else the ability to buy TtB because some orders -- that had non-book-related extras -- didn't ship out would be financial negligence on Wyrd's part considering how big a market Gencon is for them.

Patience. Models will be released. I've heard their business relies on it or something to that effect.

No sarcastic hyperbole needed.  You did see where I said I agreed with RB_Man right.  I didn't say anything about "all" or "most", I just said that to release a new book without model support is dumb.  And by dumb I mean a let down from a customer point of view.  I'm spending money on whatever they decide to produce next, finish Wave 1 or start Wave 2.

As far as your TtB comment, on the 18th of this month a Wyrd employee posted on Dakka that they'd be getting their shipments out by the end of this month.  So by around now.  As no one there has posted that they've actually received their stuff, and Dakka is a ridiculously busy forum I can only hope Wyrd hold true to their schedule.  They've still got two weeks  My problem with not fulfilling crowdfunding pledges as first priority is that they gave you the money to make your books or whatever.  Without the quarter million provided by the crowdfund it would have been monumentally tougher to bring TtB to Gencon.  Even if they don't have the multipose models or the Hannah they promised, send out the things they do have.

Some people on Wyrd Place (the facebook group) got their books already. I remember reading a few posts of people who either got them or got their tracking number.

I fail to get angry at Wyrd for most things because I have passing familiarity with small business and know how mind-bendingly hard it has to be to compete in such a niche market. There's a good amount of customers in the Minis industry who act very entitled and incredibly selfish and tend to start calling out a "doom spiral" asap when something doesn't work or look they way they want.

Apologies for the knee-jerk snark. :mellow:

Some people on Wyrd Place (the facebook group) got their books already. I remember reading a few posts of people who either got them or got their tracking number.

Funny.  Wyrd said they weren't going to be giving out tracking numbers.

I wonder how one might obtain theirs?

No sarcastic hyperbole needed.  You did see where I said I agreed with RB_Man right.  I didn't say anything about "all" or "most", I just said that to release a new book without model support is dumb.  And by dumb I mean a let down from a customer point of view.  I'm spending money on whatever they decide to produce next, finish Wave 1 or start Wave 2.

As far as your TtB comment, on the 18th of this month a Wyrd employee posted on Dakka that they'd be getting their shipments out by the end of this month.  So by around now.  As no one there has posted that they've actually received their stuff, and Dakka is a ridiculously busy forum I can only hope Wyrd hold true to their schedule.  They've still got two weeks  My problem with not fulfilling crowdfunding pledges as first priority is that they gave you the money to make your books or whatever.  Without the quarter million provided by the crowdfund it would have been monumentally tougher to bring TtB to Gencon.  Even if they don't have the multipose models or the Hannah they promised, send out the things they do have.

Just a point of clarification. I'm *fairly* certain I'm the only Wyrd employee who posts on Dakka, and I made no such statement (I avoid any questions about shipping like the plague - because it's not my place).

That said, there is info on that in a KS update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/through-the-breach-a-malifaux-roleplaying-game/posts/918475

Remember that models released at GenCon are usually "pre-release". If you don't get them at GenCon, then you'll probably have to wait several months for them..........last year Rasputina was available for the weekend, but didn't officially release until December. So, as far as that goes, Wyrd still has time to get all of the Wave 1 crews out in plastic before any Wave 2 stuff is officially released.

• Like 1

Don't know what to think about the dead rider... Seems goofy frankly with the huge boots in a skeleton thing.

Agreed, the boots are extremely silly. They look like this stuff:

https://www.google.fi/search?q=slippers+with+horns&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8ObZU6X1MKKAywP50oKoCQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955#q=monster+slippers&tbm=isch