Wyrd at Gen Con 2014

CaseyJ

Whiskey Gamin! That's it, this has to happen! :D

Aw come on, he's terrifying! Just look at him:

<Image snipped for space>

Now doesn't that just strike fear into your heart? ;)

Anyway, it's Monday, which means the Chronicles and thus a release schedule will be coming up in a matter of hours...right? 

Fear, right.  He looks like a cheerful, playful... yellow... something.  He might be unnerving to a green lantern in his yellowness, but that's about it.  :P

Gencon is 10 days away and still nothing.....terrible.

As I pointed out a page or two back, they didn't release their info until a week before the convention last year.

So by that standard, I wouldn't call it anything more than "status quo" until Friday.

You read my mind!

Back on topic: I was talking to my BF about this this morning and how I was moving from excitement to apathy about the Gencon releases, and he rightly reminded me that Wyrd is a small business and preparing for the convention is most likely taking up all their time. As easy as it is for me to say 'it would only take a minute to say 'we got no info yet'', they probably don't have a minute to waste doing so.

• Like 2

Why would anyone want regular "we have no info" updates anyway? The fact that there is no update kind of tells us that.

And Wyrd, by any standard in the commercial world, are a small buisness. But whilst that has its downsides, it also means that we get regular opportunities to hear from the owners and designers and there are no shareholders involved.

I'm as anxious for news as anyone else, but would rather wait a few more days than be let down at gencon with none of the promised product. It strikes me as very responsible to hold off until they are sure.

That said, Chronicles in the next half hour would be awesome  :D

• Like 1

From what bits I know of the industry, they probably have very tight timescales for releases. Stuff will be arriving right up to the last moment.

They've never liked to say 'no info yet', they prefer to wait until they can guarantee something (every time they make estimates, people take them as a promise, so that's fair enough). 

They'll be making sure everything has arrived, is in good condition, and is packed and ready to go before saying it will be at gencon. That will be occupying every menber of staff as they aren't big enough to have a dedicated PR team.

When they're happy that everything is sorted, they'll say what it will be. That's typically about a week before the con, so probably later this week.

• Like 1

I think it's completely erroneous to state that Wyrd are small by any standard in the commercial world.  I bet all the FLGS wish they were taking as much turnover/profit as Wyrd.  That aside I think it's just a case of we'll know when they know.  This will be the first year I've ordered over the Gencon weekend (and the fact they make things freely available through their webstore I think is fantastic as it stops the exclusivity of items for only being able to attend particular (usually US based) events) but I understand from reading forums that they've had issues with supply before.  I think it's much better to under promise, or make no promises at all, and over-deliver so it makes sense that they are waiting until they know 100% what they will have available there.  Having said that please have Molly please have Molly please have Molly :D

• Like 2

It may have been a few days before Gencon last year that they finalized the plans, but a list of what was expected to be there was up FAR earlier. They revised the list as things got pushed back.

It doesn't take 5 minutes to post something stating what they know will be there for sure and to say there may be a few surprises in store. I ASSUME the book and deck will be there...beyond that, nothing. Hell we knew what the Nightmare edition was well before this last year, if I recall.

• Like 1

After buying my second Ortega crew on a whim, I resolved not to spend money until Gencon anyway. Thus, pushback of regular releases doesn't concern me much....

Also, while delays are frustrating and I'm insanely curious about their new products, I have always been content with Wyrd's service and product. They release faster than I paint anyway.  :D

• Like 3