Holy poop, malifaux 2.0!

DeleteAccount

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm... How do I get on the newsletter? I can't seem to find anything in my email regarding this. Share!

I think I got on it from ordering from their site.

Here's the text dump:

Malifaux 2nd edition is coming! If you want to be one of the first to play it and provide input, we'll be having a public Beta for your shuffling pleasure. (More details on the Beta below.)

What are some of the features of 2nd edition to look forward to?

Streamlined, Updated Ruleset.

Clarified rules interactions and Model Actions.

Upgrade Your Models / Customize Your Crew.

That's right, keep your favorite model fresh and competitive for years to come.

New Masters.

From the current Henchmen getting promoted, to fresh faces like Tara, the Herald of Obliteration!

Gremlins a Faction?

You bet!

Easier to Read Card Format.

Every model updated to a new, easier to read format. No more searching through the books. The cards are standard sized as well, making them easy to sleeve for dry erasing.

Story Moves Forward.

Find out what happens to your favorite characters, see the new alliances formed, and discover new Tyrants!

FAQ.

For those of you who never got enough of the rules-love, we'll be moving to an FAQ system updated on a set schedule! No more searching the forums for rulings.

We'll keep you updated with more details over the next few months.

Public Beta Information

What

Play Malifaux with your friends! See the new rules online as soon as they're available. This will be your chance to give feedback.

Who

Anyone! No previous Malifaux experience required.

When

Starting May 31

How

Watch the new Public Beta section in our forums. Access the rules, ask questions, give feedback, and interact with other Malifaux enthusiasts.

If every model is getting updated rules, perhaps we'll see a single Rules Manual and faction books to give us model stats?

And I think it's a given that updated cards will be made available for purchase. They already sell updated cards so the precedent is there.

I have to say I'm nervous. Sure Malifaux as is has some obtuse rulings and there are certainly some models that are could stand to be upgraded. So if this is updated Malifaux that still plays like current Malifaux (i.e. D&D 3.0 to 3.5) then I'll be ecstatic. If it's a truly new version of Malifaux (i.e. D&D 3.5 to 4E) then I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Still, in Wyrd I trust. I can't wait for May 31st!

If every model is getting updated stats, maybe the Ice Golem will actually see time as something besides a stand-in for Ice Pillars. :Smug_Puppet1:

Considering what's happened between Warhammer 40k and their New Editions and Warmahordes Mk.2...I think Maliufaux 2e Is going to follow a similar line of advancement. Base Mechanics stays the same but rule tweaks change some of the more complicated interactions between specific special rules while more common special rules and triggers (Like say, Squeel! or Lifer) get folded into the core rule set.

I can't imagine a minis game making as drastic a change as D&D 4e, 40k 3e, ect. without potentially alienating large portions of their fanbase.

Plenty of info in the various podcast interviews that should be hitting your favourite podcatchers round about now - Malifools will be doing follow up interviews with Justin and Mack in the next couple of weeks so if you have questions you want them to answer then just send us an email to malifoolsradio@gmail.com

Listening already....great stuff from Justin so far.

I really hope they don't do faction books. It was bad enough in Warmachine having to buy three books to get all my options for one faction (Core book for rules, Cygnar faction book and Mercenaries faction book) but with so much overlap in Malifaux, I can't see them justifying seperating all of the factions.

I really hope they don't do faction books. It was bad enough in Warmachine having to buy three books to get all my options for one faction (Core book for rules, Cygnar faction book and Mercenaries faction book) but with so much overlap in Malifaux, I can't see them justifying seperating all of the factions.

On the other hand, if they can do concise (low art/page count, cheap/cost effective) faction books, it would mean that instead of needing to carry around a GIANT omnibus, one could have a more slender manual on hand for playing.

However, this assuming playing a single faction during a day/session/tournament, and there is enough overlap across faction (merc units, rules exceptions, etc) that it could find people 'needing' 2-3+ books just to field their usual crews. Of course, if the rules on the updated/streamlined stat cards are indeed the cats pajamas, perhaps the single book supported by informative cards would be enough.

Eh, I could go either way. As much as I love the fluff and art, if they were looking to do an update book with ALL of book 1-4's figure stats, I'd probably hope for something lean on fluff and art for that very reason; keep the page count as low as possible for a reference catalog, with a rules manual 2.0 for condensed play specific information.

Wishlist:

1 Book with all the updates and stats. All the original fluff is a bonus.

A way to buy updated model cards.

Cool and dynamic upgrades to masters

Lucius as a Master

I cant wait!

You realize one book with all updated model stats, plus new models, PLUS all existing fluff AND new fluff, would be...about as big as every book so far combined, right? That would be like a 500 page book.

I'm ridiculously excited about this, especially the streamlined rules. That'll help newer players get into the game.

As for worries... I'm not too concerned. Wyrd wasn't originally a game company, and while they were off to a bit of a rocky start in terms of rule elegency (IMHO), they have made leaps and bounds since then. I have no doubt that M2 will display just how far the company's come in game design and rule clarity understanding.