Which models have frustrated you to build?

Raclesis

I've been trying to put together my gremlins and I've been having quite a bit of trouble. This is my first minis game so I have no experience putting models together before this, so it's been a bit frustrating. Seeing some of these models makes me wonder what kinds of trouble other people have gone through for some of their figures. Here are some of mine that have annoyed me to put together.

1) Lady Justice. Her arms were one of the hardest pieces I've had to deal with so far. Her sword was easier for me!

2) Rami. For some reason the barrel of his gun was really hard for me to put on. I unfortunately broke one of the pieces, so it looks like he had some dumb luck with his gun and the barrel broke.

3) Slop Haulers. The one with the big drum on his back. Tried putting him together while sleepy and angry, and the arms got the better of it. For some reason I couldn't get ther right arm in the right place, eventually got angry and just forced it on.

I still have quite a bit of figures to put together (2 young lacroix, the entire Somer'Teeth box, Mah Tucket and the Bushwackers) so I likely have much harder figures to put together. So, what figures have people had problems together together? Any tips for someone who's rather new at putting figures together?

This is my first minis game too, but I have already bought two kinds of plastic glue and use them both and it has helped a lot. Tiny pieces that I can only hold in place for a few seconds get the extra thin runny plastic cement: the changeling that is only as tall as the base is wide, I rolled my fingertips onto it and dabbed the liquid at my fingertips and cleaned off the fingerprint ridges later with a very light brushing of plastic cement. Pieces I can grab but have to be aligned once they're almost in the right place I use the thick gooey plastic cement: I used a gob of blue-tac to hold the girl guild guard's gluey hand until her wrist was also softened with cement, then rotated the hand into its correct orientation and left it alone for minutes to set. With two glues and blue-tac I have the 'third hand' of extra grip and haven't needed to use the tweezers or hobby vise.

I had a teacher in-house and loads of materials since my husband has been a minis hobbyist for years. How did you learn? I am curious how people come into minis games. :lol:

• Like 1

No doubt that the incredible sculpts bring a level of intricacy to some of the Malifaux figures that can definitely be more of a challenge...more than anything I think it is important to have both patience AND a clear uncluttered work area just in case a tiny part goes for an unplanned voyage..after that I would say less glue placed well goes off quicker to create a strong bond...as opposed to a blob of glue that will try to weld the parts together but can also soften the entire part if it is tiny...I tend to let the glue go off for a few seconds before placing the parts in contact with each other as well.

@Gnomezilla - I hear you on the Changelings - have just assembled and primed them but threw in a couple of coffee breaks along the way so as to not keep hearing myself saying "HOW small is this ?! "

Most difficult for me to date (but now built and primed for my girlfriend) - Necrotic Machine...lining up the arms on that one definitely heard me using some ancient words 

Anything Gremlin related in general. I don't even play Grems, but I build and paint for my nephew who does.  Separate feet are my Kryptonite...

Malifaux is my first minis game. And I just finished building Nicodem - with no glue getting on my fingers! I feel this is a milestone :lol:

• Like 1

Just talking plastics? The mandible Illuminated comes to mind. I feel like I may have had a traumatic experience with a Depleted as well, but am repressing it. Sybelle's whip too. Going to the old metals? Nightmare Teddy is giving me some fits right now with the individual claws.  Lilitu's arms still haunt me. 

The female Illuminated. Been putting my third one together tonight, and it sucks just as much as the first two. There's no way to tell which arms go with which torso, and even the "right" ones don't want to fit because it's impossible to tell where the sprue ends and the model begins. The torso and dress require immense trimming and leave huge gaps...argh. I've put together harder models, but this one is just BAD. 

The Dead Doxies were actually pretty difficult for me for some reason, considering the Necrotic Machine and the Gremlins I've built so far were pretty easy for me. Especially the one Doxie where you have to get her hand lined up with the slot in her head.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OneLittleThunder said:

The female Illuminated. Been putting my third one together tonight, and it sucks just as much as the first two. There's no way to tell which arms go with which torso, and even the "right" ones don't want to fit because it's impossible to tell where the sprue ends and the model begins. The torso and dress require immense trimming and leave huge gaps...argh. I've put together harder models, but this one is just BAD. 

YES!!! That one! I managed to get the arms on some kinda way but the jaw things are what really frustrated me

• Like 1

I've had some considerable trouble with the female illuminated too! 

And gremlin feet/occasional arms

10T thunder archer heads (4 pieces for a head! A head!) were a particular grievance

I'm not sure if this was a miscast, or I was just being stupid but the razorspine rattler did not want to sit together properly. Especially around its hood. Had to file and greenstuff to make it work.  

But my one true and particular beef beyond any other, not that this was hard to put together mind,  just confuses the hell out of me, is why on earth the Gremlin War Wabbit riders have separate ears!!

I think we can all agree the plastic sculpts are beautiful, but i really want to know if it's a pathological fear of undercuts that cause models to be cut up for the sprue in these ways,  or whether @Aaron  and @Mason are just nourished by anguish...

Syc

I've heard horror stories about Gremlins. How are newer Gremlin plastics? Zipp? Wave 3 stuff? I've had a lot of issues with Wyrd plastics but I mostly own older stuff. I bought Big Jake on a lark and he was a breeze. I'm just wondering if it's something they had issues when first getting into plastics?

The teeny tiny end of Lust's violin, which broke, forcing me to whittle a new one out of a piece of plastic sprue.

Then there's Lucky Emissary's scarf, which in my rush to finish a model that had already taken a goddamn long time to assemble, I didn't realize had to go on before his head.  So now it looks kind of wonky from a certain angle.  It's probably the first Wyrd model that I've felt actually needed to be assemble and painted one piece at a time.  I guess I was suffering from assembly fatigue.

And yet, by contrast Miss Fire gave me no trouble at all.  :mellow:

The worst models I've put together? Definitely the Palladium Robotech minis. The kits are, I swear to Protoculture, just 1/100 model kits that have been shrunk down to 1/285. One of the kits had separate antennae that were maybe 1mm across by 3mm long! And the design, good spirits above. The Gladiator kit had 10 separate hands for 2 Gladiators. Good variety, right? NOPE! 8 of the hands were right hands, meaning that if a left hand suddenly flew across the room thanks to a too-hard cut and you can't find it, one of them will need to be modeled with battle damage.

But yeah, Malifaux kits are pretty hard too. There are some which are definitely EASIER than others, but even in my limited experience with owning the models, in looking at Gmort's unboxings there are few that I'd call EASY.

• 1 month later...

Bits which have prompted copious profanity from me during assembly:

Female Guild Guard's hand

Guild Lawyer's staff

Student of Conflict's ponytail

Taelor's ponytail

Vanessa's ponytail and hand (notice a theme in the last three? Hopefully I've done all the ponytailed models I'll need for a long while)

Guild Rifleman's head