Request for an Errata to the Bury mechanic

Calmdown

Question

Hi!

Pretty much everyone knows about this issue, so I won't go into detail about it.

I'd like to ask in this semi-official format that bury is reworked so as not to be as abusable as it is now.

I/We all know that you guys are horribly busy and have *lots* of rules that need your attention, but this mechanic in particular is being abused by a lot of different models (and causes a lot of rules queries and negative play experience) and is almost certainly not working as intended; it's probably the most clear cut problem rule out there right now, hence the request for a change to this specifically.

My apologies if this is a little too forthright but it seems like a whole pile of abusive game mechanics could be fixed in one fell swoop!

Yours hopefully

Friendly Neighbourhood Calmdown

• Answers 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

As long as effects that have a standard "unwritten" end-of-turn type duration come to an end regardless of whether they are buried or in-play, I'll be happy. So sick of having to try and keep track of which models have a creepy fog or whatever still on them when they aren't even on the board.

+1. One of the issues of Rules design is giving them interesting effects but also ensuring they have an elegance of simplicity to them. This is why even though there are some fixes I could suggest to certain mechanics, taken in isolation they are easy to understand, but layer all of them over the game and it becomes even more complex and confusing. I definitely agree that trying to keep track of who has what and when it expires is a needlessly complication to the game.

As long as effects that have a standard "unwritten" end-of-turn type duration come to an end regardless of whether they are buried or in-play, I'll be happy. So sick of having to try and keep track of which models have a creepy fog or whatever still on them when they aren't even on the board.

I agree that that is literally all it needs; a rewrite so that effects expire.

However, it's not our job to prescribe specifics, hence why I steered clear :)

I quite like Bury. It creates some very nice combos, and none of them seem broken (although I am not a competitive/ tournament player). The interaction of Bury and Effects could be simplified, but that could be done without getting rid of the combos that rely on Effects persisting on a Buried model.

I'd also agree with that change. But as Fetid alluded to, seemingly small changes can have profound and unintended effects on other parts of the game. So to sort of play devil's advocate, if Bury were to change so effects end in their normal phase, what other problems or exploits can we come up with to 'break' this new clarification on Bury? I'm hoping that by going through this sort of excercise we could maybe help along the process or bring up other potential issues that such a change could result in and therefore 'fix' those before they become issues.

Edited by Vmag

Thanks for the input, guys. We heard loud and clear that there was an interest in having Bury clarified/errata'ed in the FAQ requests thread.

Not that we weren't already looking at it.... ;)

Awesome!

I think an errata to the Bury Mechanic was inevitable, but it's still great to hear that you're working on it. :Smug_Puppet1:

Don't pretend you'd even noticed, you're all too busy spending the millions you made over Gencon to think about things like improving the game.

You fail to take into account the Red Bull habit certain members of the team have, that was used up in a couple of weeks.

I just really hope you guys will consider the weight of the cuddle-bat before you swing. The alps deserved everything they got, but giving them Insignificant all but eliminated their presence from the table save for the occasional summon. Not saying bury doesn't need fixed, just a plea to not exile my models to the cuddle-bat ICU.

To extend this a bit, I'd like to see a rework of the bizarre distinction between models being "in the game" and "in play", where a buried model is the first but not the second. I'd prefer to see it more along the lines of "in play" and "on the table"... just something to make the distinction more intuitive.

Looking forward to whatever you guys come up with! Once this issue is settled and its various combos are out of the way, we can look at all the other ways to break the game. :)