A balanced opinion of Wyrd

Okay, so there's lots of threads at the minute criticising Wyrd and the game's rules, may of which I'm personally quite vocal in. However, I think there's a danger both to new players and to the likes of Nathan, Eric, Sketch, Kel, Ratty and their other contributors that it comes across without perspective.

So what I thought would be cool was to start a thread where people can feedback the things they like/appreciate/respect when it comes to Wyrd and Malifaux (this was done a while ago and worked really well). Hopefully if we take a minute to contribute to this thread we can show new players, visitors and Wyrd that our positive feelings about Malifaux far outweigh any criticisms we might have.

From my point of view -

1. I love Malifaux - the game, the fluff, the creativity, the depth, the variety and the fact you can change a couple of things and it starts to feel fresh/exciting again.

2. I appreciate that following the errata storm in book 1 that it's a hard call in respect of changes in Book 2 and 3 - change and you're damned, don't change and you're damned.

3. I like the fact that we have RMs to ask questions and even if the answers don't come straight away, they will turn up.

4. I love Sketch's honesty, I still remember his response to my post about the Whirlwind vs Rats loophole and it makes me realise that they're real people behind the avatars.

5. I love the fact that despite the handful of aspects of the game that we argue are "broken" this is probably the most balanced game I've ever played. Sure it's not perfect, but there's nothing there which makes the game unplayable or unfun - or comes even close.

6. I like the fact that even if some decisions take a while to make, Wyrd follow them through and make sure it's in our best interests. Those of you who were here during the V2 card swap will know what I mean.

7. I love the community, both in the UK scene and on here. Sure there are people who don't like me and people I don't get on with myself - but when it comes down to it I think everyone is pretty accepting of everyone else, flaws and all. And that's very cool.

So some on, what about everyone else? Whether it's the same stuff or different stuff, let people know what you like about Malifaux and why you play the game.

(And please, please, please - don't let this thread detour into negative things. There are plenty of places to post your "worries" and "concerns" - let's keep the vibe 100% positive in here)

Edited by magicpockets

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what Wyrd is doing at the moment.

But I am worried about how this system will evolve in the future (will it turn out like other TTMG systems) or will it manage to avoid all the negative things that forced me to leave those other systems.

An idea I have for Wyrd is for them to expand their catalog into merchandising (t-shirts, cups etc) so that their bottom line is less dependent (or at least take some heat off) their main sales, which is miniatures based.

5. I love the fact that despite the handful of aspects of the game that we argue are "broken" this is probably the most balanced game I've ever played. Sure it's not perfect, but there's nothing there which makes the game unplayable or unfun - or comes even close.

I don't really agree with this...

My only peeve is its pretty much Neverborn versus "Everybody else".

Although for "fluff" reasons it is Neverborn versus "Everybody else", that I can understand... but certain mechanics that is directly derived from Neverborn pretty much make games unplayable AND unfun.

But other than that, I think everything is looking pretty good.

Not to deliberately be a nag... but like I said, I worry about the future direction of the company.

Expanding my opinion of Wyrd's progress of the Malifaux system at the moment, I really enjoy the Malifaux background.

The no dice system I also greatly enjoy. The cheating mechanic is ace.

Also, it being a low model count game (if you stay within the 30 - 35 ss range) players can finish their crews easily and quickly, even more so if you are already a veteran of other systems. I always felt that this is the biggest draw to the system. This and also the fact that you have to paint very few repeated models of the same type. This adds to the boost to the hobby aspect of the system.

Painting Malifaux miniatures actually rekindled the joy of painting miniatures for me... those of you who have grinded through 70 Space Marines / Elves / Goblins / Orks know what I am on about...

Also, the active moderators in this forum keep its customer / fan base close to the company and are ready to answer concerns quickly. I can say for certain that the Malifaux community do not feel abandoned or disfranchised by the owners of the system.

Edited by Dezzo

I love the game, love the minis and all the fluff. But what really sold me on Wyrd as a company is that when i first posted on the boards both Nathan and Eric welcomed me to the game.

I can't think of any other wargames company where the people running the show take the time to read and reply to the communitys posts. It is this personal touch that will keep me playing.

This is the first game I've ever started playing just because of how awesome the model range is. And linked to that, it's the first game I've painted a whole crew/force/army for! Normally I get sick of it halfway, but the variation and size of Malifaux keeps me amused through the whole crew.

I also like the fact that everything has its own mini rules (ok, it's confusing at times but it makes the whole thing much more fun). And holding a hand of cards and wondering what the person on hte other side is hiding has a real charm to it. Poker with models...

And having the guys running the show putting so much effort into letting us know whats going on is probably a huge pain for them at times but they still do it! And the way they make sure people who can't get to GenCon can still get the nightmare editions.

I love cards over dice and the soulstine mechanic. The resource balance is a very fun aspect.

I love how I can spend $30-$80 to get a new crew and new playstyle, much better than trying to fill out a jeavy support slot. It usually gets cheaper as you expand. It's at the point a boxset or 2 blisters and i have a whole new workable crew.

I love the combos. List building is fun and easy in the game.

I like gaining grounds, but calmdown's (I sure others said it but just finished gamers lounge) declare faction -> declare master before hiring crew. The diversity of what you can face per faction, is almost to great, where you are going in blind.

I like how feedback is encouraged. The playtesting is taken seriously.

This is a great game that can be played competively or casual.

Models are really high quality.

I just want to reply to neverborn vs. Others comment. It is not, neverborn have the dreamer, which most agree is one of the best masters but is still beatable. All other factions can create some very nasty builds. This fairly balanced game overall. It just happens to be neverborn mastersand outcast masters have the most rules and there by making them a bit more complicated to play against.

In all the other systems I played I hear complaints of who the opponent is (no matter the master) than who the master is. Players are becoming more infamous than masters. It's not because of some character flaw like bad smells :). To me that says a lot about the game. The henchman who taught was feared not because of what played but because of how good he was.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I wouldn't be as vocal about my opinions if I didn't love the company and the game. I appreciate Wyrd as a company and the community more than any other game I've played. If I didn't care I wouldn't bother to frequent the forums.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. If I wasn't happy with Wyrd, I wouldn't be here.

I never even considered that suggesting improvements could hurt the designer's feelings. Haven't they been getting all that money I've been shelling out for more models? Maybe I'll start writing my name on it (so they know its from me).

I'm sorry to be so crass, but that's really what it comes down to. Wyrd aren't my friends. Wyrd is a company I give my money to, not just for a product, but for a service. As individuals, I commend the staff for their hard work, creativity, and dedication, and acknowledge that they deserve our respect. But, in the end, money has changed hands, and there are certain implications to that type of relationship. Foremost is the delivery of quality.

Imagine Wyrd was your favorite restaurant. You order a plate of Companion. Ratty brings out the wrong dish, or maybe Keltheos under cooks it. Do you speak up, so that the problem can be addressed, prevented in the future? Or, do you sit there and eat it, for fear that others dining around you might overhear and get a bad impression? Worse even, simply choose a new restaurant to frequent instead? I doubt they want that.

This game is really good. Really, really good. At the very minimum it needs to stay good if they want me to continue handing over my money for their product/service. Ideally, it needs to improve. Improvement comes with refinement, and suggestion by the players. Obviously, they shouldn't listen to everyone. There are those who will be vocal about things that don't really need changing. Wyrd has an idea of how there own product should work. Certain models/factions performing the way they do is part of that. A large number of people misunderstanding a mechanic, or feeling like they have no chance against certain masters/factions is not.

As far as influencing new players goes, are there really that many negative threads right now? I find it really depends on the subforum you spend the most time in. Miniature Matters has a far more positive tone than Malifaux Matters. This just illustrates the fact that the game's few flaws are found in its rules, rather than its models/fluff/imagery. I think as a whole, the forums project a fairly balanced view of the game/community.

I imagine a balanced opinion of Wyrd would take everything into account, not just Malifaux.

Saying that I have 0% worries for them other than the challanges that others will impose on them, which makes up 100% of my worries ;) As much as things like Iron Painter, etc give me hope, I fear what this community will create for itself.

Though it is early days and I am clearly biased, I think that with Puppet Wars they have shown they can make a perfectly balanced game that only changes to meet peoples' idea of what is more fun, not what will fix that which is unbalanced.

Considering how many more variables are in Malifaux, and how rough the players can be (because they finally found a game that doesn't break the moment a breeze flies by), I think they have done exceptionally well and while my critizisms are always overshadowed by gameplay debates, I know that Wyrd staff spend many sleepless nights staring at the ceiling and trying to think how they can make our toy solider obsession all the more rewarding. Sure I really shouldn't care about their sleeping pattern, they're just another greedy faceless corporation that I give money to in return for a variable service, but in the age of piracy, widespread competition and increased customer dissatisfaction and disenchantment, I find that personality goes a long way. That doesn't apply to Wyrd alone, that's just good business sense.

I mean look at this great forum, the wonderfully original looking Malifaux website and the intuitive and helpful Puppet Wars site (I'm sure Terraclips is nice too). Look how many times they have responded to our needs, from a simple "welcome!" to giving us alternative models and the handy rules manual. We ask for more fulff, they give it to us, we ask for model x to get some love, they turn down the lights and change into something more comfortable. When it comes to rules, they don't charge off blindly, they don't spend several years to simply shift the weight so something else becomes unbalanced, they take their time, they listen, but they don't get involved because they respect us and the power we wield when left to our own devices.

All this and they aren't even that old, still haven't witnessed and/or experienced every mistake in the book, every challange that tests their resolve. We can act so high and mighty about how important the cash in our pocket is and how much time we have sacrificed on their product, but where we would be without them - most definitely not running our own perfect company.

So while I don't really play Malifaux, and I'm put off gaming daily, I hold Puppet Wars close to my heart and rarely look at a single piece of Wyrd artwork without pausing for a moment in wonder. I would love more merchandise, more avenues to explore this wonderful universe, but I can wait, I can be content because I have other things to do with my time, other things to think about while I stare at my bedroom ceiling at night (mostly pandas..) and I can sleep content in the knowldege that Wyrd won't rest until they've progressed their enterprse at least one inch closer to our unreachable collective delusion of perfection.

By "simply" doing all this, they have proven already that they are the perfect representation of what a company can be, then, now and come what may.

Wow. Great thread 'Pockets'. After reading the last couple of posts, especially 'Panda's', I'm not even going to try and follow that with general reasons why this is my favorite game / company.

I'll leave that to a simple...uhhhhhh....I agree with those before me......and just state something very specific to me.....

I love how I can play this game for a few hours and have fun the entire time. There really isn't anything that breaks the game and makes me feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I'm usually in it right to the end even if it looks like I'm losing.

In other games, if you make a minor mistake in positioning or facing, that can cost you the entire game (and vice versa if your opponent makes that minor error)...in Mali, your opponent (generally) has one model to act with to try and capitalize on your mistake. Then you get to go again to try and pull yourself out of the mess you created.

There isn't much in the way of game changing moments. Sure, there is the occasional lucky joker flip on damage but those things are rare (and the tension of its possibility only increases my fun) but normally you need to play your entire game to get to the winner's circle.

I love babies with knives.

I love well sculpted female models.

I love cards over dice.

I love zombie prostitutes.

I love nightmare lord chompy bits model.

I love the support of the company.

I love being able to order gen con exclusives online.

I love red jokers on the damage flip.

I love getting the black joker in my hand on turn one and holding it thru the game.

I love puppet wars.

I love papa loco.

I love magnatizinge my Arachnida and coryphee.

I love terror tots.

I love miss pack an miss demeanor.

I love puppet coloring books.

I love revised cards for free (or cost of shipping)

I love terraclips

I love bijou gremlins.

I love sue.

I could go on. But that's a good start.

I love the models

I love zombie samurai

I love Arcanists

I love Dreamer's "I Can Fly!"

I love the whole game

And all its fluff and rules

Boom-de-yada, boom-de-yada

I love steampunk games

I love Ressurectionists

I love mercenaries

Hitting things with Bishop's fists

I love the whole game

And all its craziness

I love to twist fate

I love to read the fluff

I love Neverborn

And painting all my stuff

I love the whole game

Even the mean, nasty Guild

See, the thing is when I say Som'er and Ophelia fluff, I mean "Vicious overthrowing of the fat bastard".

When you say fluff, it means slash fiction D=

Huh... Most people I've heard use the term slash use it to denote male/male pairings. Do you know something about Ophelia that I don't?

Besides, everyone knows the best pairing involving Ophelia is Ophelia/McTavish, and the best possible romance in Malifaux is either Lilith/Von Schill or The Viktorias/Von Schill. Cretins, all of you.

Ontopic: The fluff and setting are good (neverending plot tumor that is the Tyrants notwithstanding; could we maybe kill off a few of the bastards in the next book so we can go back to vicious yet low key power struggles between a group of factions trying to take over steamvictoriohorrorwestpunk!Silent Hill?). I actually started playing Neverborn for the fluff, believe it or not. I like the fact that a majority of the major characters have sympathetic motives, even the demon-esque monsters and the enforcers for the fascist invaders, avoiding the darkness induced apathy I have towards the storylines of certain other games. I like the card based central mechanic and the fact that the game can actually be played on a budget even if I'm horribly tempted to buy more than I need.

As for the criticism on this forum, I certainly don't believe that Malifaux is perfectly balanced, but it's well done enough to hold up in play with a few unfortunate exceptions. Pretending these exceptions aren't there is dishonest to the people who are trying to decide what to spend their possibly limited gaming budget on and doesn't help Wyrd make improvements to their game. That said, I wouldn't post on Wyrd's forums if I didn't think this was an awesome game already. I ignore or (if it isn't too much trouble) mock the things I hate; giving actual criticism is generally reserved for when I see the potential to improve something I love. And with the exception of this thread, I normally don't bother making random statements about the things I like. I'm here on the official Malifaux board, aren't I? If I'm not complaining about it, assume I like it.

Love and peace, y'all. :1_Happy_Puppet1:

I have to say I love this 'game' even though I've never actually played it ...unless you count a few brief skirmishes to test out the card mechanics! (Literally just pairing models off against each other to see how the main rules worked).

But the minis on the whole are awesome, the rules - though looking complex at first - actually don't seem that bad for someone new after a few reads, I love the idea of using cards rather than dice, and the fact that although the models seem to have lots of special 'rules' , some are universal throughout a crew so not as bad as first feared, and most are simple enough to understand.....and when they aren't, the rules marshalls on here are quick to clarify!

I love this forum and you guys on it...yeah, you know who you are! I am a member of other forums but this is the one that seems to be more welcoming and set at my sanity level. Whether thats a compliment to you guys, I'll leave it up to you to decide! ;)

And its great that the 'head honchos' interact with us all too, even just taking those few minutes out of their presumably hectic schedule to say hi in the intros forum!

Now, if only we could do something about that pesky Gremlin Regnak, this forum would be perfect! ;)

Importantly, anyone reading threads containing negative opinions should remember that if those of us that voice said opinions didn't care about the game, we wouldn't bother voicing them at all. These criticisms are borne of passion, and for a game to inspire this level of passion it has to be pretty damned epic.

Malifaux is the best miniatures game I've ever played.