New Lady Justice

Thatguy

2 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

Are all Coffin Markers on 50mm bases or just the 1 created by Lady J's bonus action?

I assume all, but find it odd that one rule that is given out to a selection of models requires you to look at what an entirely unrelated rule does to know what its effects are.

Its a common space saver. A model will define a marker once on its card, and then just refer to that type of marker throughout the card. 

All coffin markers have the same size and traits. 

1 hour ago, Adran said:

Its a common space saver. A model will define a marker once on its card, and then just refer to that type of marker throughout the card.

The coder in me is screaming in anguish. You would think then the rule that defines what a marker is would at least be one of the first on a card rather than the 2nd to last.

3 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

The coder in me is screaming in anguish. You would think then the rule that defines what a marker is would at least be one of the first on a card rather than the 2nd to last.

I think its the case that they had the space on the back of the card rather than the front of the card (There is a lot on the front of the card!) Its the second instance of creating a coffin marker on the card, and the first on the back of the card

I'm not going to disagree that its annoying, but there is probably some sense to it. 

14 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

Another, am I reading this properly question.

Does the Marshal's Coffin ability totally replace what Pine Box does once per activation when the HP is spent or does it still do the rest of Pine Box on top of dropping a coffin marker?

Not only do you get to take the Pine Box action, it's essentially a (fraction under) 4" range.

Coffin Marker is placed up to 1" from DM. 50mm base. Must be within 1" of target. Ignore range/LOS for remainder of action.

3 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

Not only do you get to take the Pine Box action, it's essentially a (fraction under) 4" range.

Coffin Marker is placed up to 1" from DM. 50mm base. Must be within 1" of target. Ignore range/LOS for remainder of action.

Given the wording does anything stop you taking the damage to make the range unlimited, targetting a model over 4" away, shrugging when you can put a marker down and the burying them as nothing suggests the rest of pine box does not complete if the dropping of the marker is not possible?

Basically what is determining the order of events when the super charged version is used?

2 hours ago, Banjulhu said:

Given the wording does anything stop you taking the damage to make the range unlimited, targetting a model over 4" away, shrugging when you can put a marker down and the burying them as nothing suggests the rest of pine box does not complete if the dropping of the marker is not possible?

Basically what is determining the order of events when the super charged version is used?

The marker needs to be dropped within an inch of the model you intend to target, as per the last line of Marshal's Coffin: "It may target that model, ignoring range and LoS." "That model" in the case being the targeted enemy model, who's just become friends with a coffin marker. 

12 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

Does kytheran sight mean her target never get cover from terrain, as no LoS is drawn?

Yes and no. It means they'll never have cover or concealment for being behind blocking/concealing terrain. But some models have abilities that just work on everything in an area. Like Bodyguard just gives cover to everything in the aura. 

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Yes and no. It means they'll never have cover or concealment for being behind blocking/concealing terrain. But some models have abilities that just work on everything in an area. Like Bodyguard just gives cover to everything in the aura. 

That seems a bit too powerful for what the ability looks like it intends to do (ignore LoS targeting restrictions). Note that shadow should still grant cover if your interpretation is correct because cover in shadow is if the action can draw LoS through the terrain, not if it actually did. 

A good counter example is Gigants, their ability says to ignore LoS and Cover. So I think sight lines are still drawn even when ignoring LoS.

28 minutes ago, PiersonsMuppeteer said:

That seems a bit too powerful for what the ability looks like it intends to do (ignore LoS targeting restrictions). Note that shadow should still grant cover if your interpretation is correct because cover in shadow is if the action can draw LoS through the terrain, not if it actually did. 

A good counter example is Gigants, their ability says to ignore LoS and Cover. So I think sight lines are still drawn even when ignoring LoS.

His interpretation is correct, cover via the shadow and concealment are generated by those sightlines being blocked, or crossing over the relavent terrain (like trees or the barrel your hiding behind) 

However, if you don't need LOS, you don't draw sightlines and therefore ignore the terrain, stuff like bodyguard and exhaust still count

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 2:33 PM, Angelshard said:

Does kytheran sight mean her target never get cover from terrain, as no LoS is drawn?

On 8/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, PiersonsMuppeteer said:

Just to say, question 1.3 of the FAQ has this answer

If an Action does not require or ignores LoS, are sight lines for the Action still drawn to determine Cover and Concealment?

a) No. If an Action does not require LoS, sight lines aren’t drawn. However, Cover and Concealment can still be gained from other effects such as Bodyguard and Sputtering Exhaust.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2021 at 3:59 PM, Thatguy said:

I know one of the complaints that people had about Pine Box is that it is range 0". Now for the cost of a wound it's roughly Range 4". 

I'm a little confused by design choices. Marshalls can now drop up to 2 50mm blocking impassible markers a turn, meaning they can clutter it shut down big chunks of the board. But they don't have any way to get around thier own obstacles. New Lady J can't leap over them.

Is this true? Don't you need to be at range 0 to declare the action? Otherwise there is no legal targets for it?

But then you put the coffin within 1" of you and the enemy? Or is that me confusing things?

27 minutes ago, Higgybeans said:

Is this true? Don't you need to be at range 0 to declare the action? Otherwise there is no legal targets for it?

But then you put the coffin within 1" of you and the enemy? Or is that me confusing things?

For what its worth targeting happens in step 3 of taking the action. Justice appears to allow you to make the coffin sometime during the first two steps and so when you declare the target in step 3, you are allowed to ignore LOS and range if you then target the model that you created the coffin next to. Prior to step 3 there are no requirements to be in range/LOS of the target. 

• Like 1

See that's what made me think it's wording effectively means you can pine box from any distance because the bit that says you do the Pine Box action without range only calls out the model you attempted to use the coffin marker dropping effect on and says nothing about the marker having to actually be there.

So you get step 1 which is the declaration of Pine Box. Then step 2 of action resolution starts with you saying I'll pay a HP to drop a marker between the marshal and X, because and because its not actually part of the action itself the rider resolves straight away rather than waiting until step 5. Now whether a marker gets placed another rider is also comes into effect which is Pine Box can target model X regardless of range and LoS. So then step 3 to 5 occurs following the normal rules.

I fully understand the intent is for the Pine Box to be limited by the coffin marker I just think the wording is clunky if that is the effect it wants because it's trying to overwrite how an action is processed to do something else.

I kind of wish that the rule said marshals with pine box attack action may as an action drop a coffin marker within 1" of a model and themselves then make a Pine Box attack action that does not count against action limit that ignores at LoS and range at a model within 1" of the placed coffin marker at which point there is nothing going on that requires you to alter the flow of the normal action resolution.

Have anyone tried her yet? 

I'm going to try her against a friend playing jedza 2, as we both think those two are some of the strongest titles we've seen. 

Plan is to go hard nd fast for her. Bury the emissary and then her and then whack her until she stops moving, then I can begin scheming. (that 13" non-linear 4/5/6 irreducible after you've been hit with injured +1 and a damage really scares me). 

4 hours ago, Angelshard said:

Have anyone tried her yet? 

I'm going to try her against a friend playing jedza 2, as we both think those two are some of the strongest titles we've seen. 

Plan is to go hard nd fast for her. Bury the emissary and then her and then whack her until she stops moving, then I can begin scheming. (that 13" non-linear 4/5/6 irreducible after you've been hit with injured +1 and a damage really scares me). 

I ran her twice and liked it both times. Really fun.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:15 PM, Banjulhu said:

See that's what made me think it's wording effectively means you can pine box from any distance because the bit that says you do the Pine Box action without range only calls out the model you attempted to use the coffin marker dropping effect on and says nothing about the marker having to actually be there.

So you get step 1 which is the declaration of Pine Box. Then step 2 of action resolution starts with you saying I'll pay a HP to drop a marker between the marshal and X, because and because its not actually part of the action itself the rider resolves straight away rather than waiting until step 5. Now whether a marker gets placed another rider is also comes into effect which is Pine Box can target model X regardless of range and LoS. So then step 3 to 5 occurs following the normal rules.

IMG_20210828_104718.thumb.jpg.7bf37e45ce97da6a7687cf86eaea5eb9.jpg

Step 1: declare Pine Box. 

Pine Box action has been taken, you decide if drop a Coffin Marker. 

Step 2: pay any costs (none) 

Step 3: targeting. 

Did you dropped a Coffin marker? Then you can target an enemy within 1" Of it. Didn't you? Then the action is range 0"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...