Jedza
Sophie
Mikhail XVI
Winston
Austera
Grave Goo
The Damned
Itrepid Effigy + EoF

I got speed and range advantage. Clockwork Traps may become double edged sword here, I'll have to be very careful about them. Not taking Emissary from the start surprised me a bit and I hope that I'll be able to abuse it a little. There are none severs in this map so I'll have to make my own flooring for CiQ and Sand Worm. I think If will be able to shut down Jedza or at least Effigy and one beater before turn 3 I'll be in very good position. 

What are your ideas about this match up? Did you played this match up before and if you were what are your thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Oh, other noteworthy things - the grave goo will make your dust markers hazardous to you.

Jedza can use her tactical action to do 4 damage to you and you can do nothing about it (including defensive flip)

She can eat your dust markers to draw cards, but she can generate her own markers so don't let that dissuade you too much.

In general, severe terrain is more dangerous to you than them since they're all unimpeded and grave goo makes it hazardous. Watch out for chances to lock down the Emissary with severe terrain though (although Jedza can eat those markers).

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh, other noteworthy things - the grave goo will make your dust markers hazardous to you.

Jedza can use her tactical action to do 4 damage to you and you can do nothing about it (including defensive flip)

She can eat your dust markers to draw cards, but she can generate her own markers so don't let that dissuade you too much.

In general, severe terrain is more dangerous to you than them since they're all unimpeded and grave too makes it hazardous. Watch out for chances to lock down the Emissary with severe terrain though (although Jedza can eat those markers).

Yeah, but CiQ could bring much more value in teleporting my enemy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Ewwwww, grave goo can turn entire platforms hazardous on this map?? Or entire clouds of fog.

Watch out for that.

I'm not gonna stand in terrain, conceal and cover brings nothing to me. That's why I picked False Witness 'cause I'm gonna use the other :ToS-Fast: much often.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Higgybeans said:

I'm going up against ressers this weekend. And I have literally never played against them before in any edition of the game! (Theres no resser player in my local somehow.. )

Who looks good on this map? What sort of plans should I be going for/wary of?

It can vary quite a bit!

Overall, I think you could happily take Von Schtook, Yan Lo, Seamus, Reva, Molly, and maybe Jack Daw into this pool.

When facing such uncertainty, I definitely suggest focusing on a crew you're good with, but be especially ready for Von Schtook (armor + hard to wound), since he is largely regarded as the best master in the faction.

But if you have your own strong game plan, it becomes much easier to go into some uncertainty. Be aware that we have some good tech - we are the best faction for anti-demise and anti-healing. We also have the exorcism trigger on Vincent, so any crew can take down summoned Executioners with a single shot. Anna Lovelace gets teched into lots of crews, and she can prevent placements or your models targeting their allies.

EDIT: Disclaimer - I'm not a very good Resser player. I'm just a very good Molly player, so it skews my perception a bit xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Higgybeans said:

I'm going up against ressers this weekend. And I have literally never played against them before in any edition of the game! (Theres no resser player in my local somehow.. )

Who looks good on this map? What sort of plans should I be going for/wary of?

Me too, i have no expectations so i would advise you to choose your favourite Máster or wich one works better in this pool.

LJ models can ping too much damage on undead models, that could be a good option.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, belorey said:

LJ models can ping too much damage on undead models, that could be a good option.

Yeah I thought about that. Shame I'm bad with LJ. Haha. Oh well, the worst that can happen is I lose right....

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

It can vary quite a bit!

Overall, I think you could happily take Von Schtook, Yan Lo, Seamus, Reva, Molly, and maybe Jack Daw into this pool.

This is good to know. I guess I'll just read these masters and see if I can figure something out!

16 hours ago, Plaag said:

2 prospectors and 2 rat kings are very weak models and take them from the start-bad plan, also for  recover evidence u need tough models like hanna, mad dog; for good card draw u can give some model wanted criminal, with benny it works well; hanna will give 7 cards and is a good model by herself; dog can kill; also take effigy with up; need to play carefully-stack blight on sonnias crew and blow them with wretch; dont give hamelin die without stolen near, beware of blasts and all will be great

Firstly, thank you for providing some insight into why you make your statements, it really helps the conversation actually happen  and be useful to people reading. 

I think in this instance you are not completely right. Rat kings and prospectors are hired because they allow you to leave 4 evidence makers in your deployment zone, which Guild is typically not good at getting to fast. And it does so without costing you too much actual crew. The Rat kings will replace themselves with rat catchers to help with the cycle to generate new rat kings which can go forth and do ratty things having left the evidence behind, and the prospectors can generate cards and soulstones whilst hiding at the back. 

It might not be the absolute best way to play the crew, but its not a bad plan for recover evidence. You can certainly do well with a more generic Hamlin list with Hannah and Mad dog, but I would think the list that would do better is the one that fits the play style you find most comfortable. If you want to sit back and force the enemy to come to you then the prospectors/kings list will do that.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, Hamelin is my go-to for Recover Evidence, and two Rat Kings and two Prospectors are a big part of that. The Prospectors will basically spend the game sitting on the back board edge and the Rat Kings will kill themselves Turn 1 to bring in Rat Catchers and the result is that your opponent isn't likely to score the Strat at all until they're standing within about 6" of the rear board edge. And to get there they're going to have to go through a wall of models that don't give up points, which lets you grind carelessly and trade pieces with abandon. It's a good time, even if Sonnia is there making it hard to get those Rat Kings going again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Azahul said:

Yeah, Hamelin is my go-to for Recover Evidence, and two Rat Kings and two Prospectors are a big part of that. The Prospectors will basically spend the game sitting on the back board edge and the Rat Kings will kill themselves Turn 1 to bring in Rat Catchers and the result is that your opponent isn't likely to score the Strat at all until they're standing within about 6" of the rear board edge. And to get there they're going to have to go through a wall of models that don't give up points, which lets you grind carelessly and trade pieces with abandon. It's a good time, even if Sonnia is there making it hard to get those Rat Kings going again.

Yup, I was lucky to get 2 points with the strat. Both rat kings were fairly far foward and I could get to them. I did have to wade through many, MANY models though.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:35 AM, Filox said:

So, my game against against @Alcathous ended up 7:6 to ma favor. I scored 4 from strat, 1 from LYM and 2 form Vendetta(Lone Marshal vs Emissary). He scored 4 for strat, 1 for RS and 1 for Hidden Martys(Gorar & Serena). He chose the right deployment which as we talked later turned out to bad deployment.

image.thumb.png.0ab3b6b9b2070e4cdc69228942ef64cc.png

Great game, @Filox and well played. It was neck and neck, but I feel like I made a couple of mistakes and my opponent didn't. The right guy won this one :D Turn 1 I think I should have cheated initiative. I remember Filox flipped high, but I believe a severe from my hand would have been worth activating last with Titania T1. I told a friend before this match that I would be able to tell the caliber of opponent by how much they valued killing the Gorar, and well... it was relevant.

image.thumb.png.854beb527ab73892835b753fe4b062c9.png

Instead of picking a fight with the rest of the crew with LJ I rushed to Gorar to stop him from resurrecting Mali and I also picked up the marker from him. Titania which killed my Domador turn 1 rushed for the marker and tried to engage Lone MarshalPale Rider did his damaging pulse to 3 models. He scored Research and HM. He was leading 3:1. (No image found :( )

I wasn't too concerned about losing the Malisaurus T1, but I definitely underestimated how deep J would be able to dive for the Gorar. I had two 11s and the Red Joker in my hand. The correct play would have probably been to bring back the dino first using Red, but I waffled about spending it and J jumped in to take advantage. Despite the lead in score T2, Lady J had tempo at this point and kept it the entire game.

image.thumb.png.18f13770155febd0fa18c9f15c4a96b5.png

Turn 4 start by Aeslin killing Domador. Lone Marshal runs away from Titania. LJ killes Aeslin and picks up the Evidence. Titania picked up the Evidence this turn as well. We are 5:5.

I think T3 the final score was pretty much decided. I realized T4 that I had to choose between keeping up on Strat points or killing the Marshal. You can see that my underbrush weren't in a good position to affect Marshal, and I had to settle for killing Actions and securing the points I could.

Last turn, he starts by scoring Evidence with Titania and engaging my LJ. I just leap away, picks up my Evidence and delta straight away from Serena. After that we said there is no in playing those last 3 activations. I scored second point from Vendetta. We ended up 7:6 in my favor. 

The game was fast paced and there was a lot of places for mistakes that could cost either us a game, but as seen from the score we didn't made much of them. In the end I think I ended up winning thanks bigger range and nice fast kills on enemy heavy hitters. I really enjoyed the game, we did not argue even once :D about anything. Hope to see @Alcathousagain for a rematch ❤️ .

As I mentioned earlier, Lady J had tempo throughout the game. Combined with the range advantage from the Rider and the Lone Marshal, it was difficult for Titania to bully J's crew the way she wants to. I think cheating to go last T1 have helped with that a bit and might have given me more agency to dictate engagement. It was an excellent, fast-paced, and high-skilled game by Filox. I look forward to meeting again in the future.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:16 AM, SEV said:

Great report @Filox. I'm sad to see the infamous guild preying on the true inhabitants of Malifaux thoug. Close game seems well player on both side. Killing Gorar/rex was clutch. I'm also wondering if @Alcathous tough process on this deployment choice.

I felt like the top deployment was going to create a choke point that would make it difficult for Serena and Aeslin to get at the action. Ultimately it was just a better battlefield for J to bounce around in ;)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, belorey said:

I'm going to face McM on Round 3 any advice?

I go with Hoffman.

Poison ticks 2 times per turn so Hoff Crew with low Wd pool is going to be affected by it a lot. Beside McM there is none AP damage in keyword, but he can use it really efficiently. Almost all minion in his keyword give out poison when damaged by Melee action so shooting him down is not the bad idea. Taking lawyer for shielded is not bad idea either. He will probably set up his regeneration to be heal by 3/2 for the rest of the game so keep on focusing single model, all of Experimental have really low defensive stats. 

I had a game with Jamie in R3
Hoffman vs Kirai

Hoffman 4SS
Attendant
Phiona + LLC
Howard + LLC
Automaton
Toolkit
Lawyer
Melissa K.O.R.E

Kirai +Whisper (8SS)
Ikiryo
2x Drowned
2x Onryo
Lost Love
Dastue Ba + Whisper
Seishin

The game ended 3:3 but I was playing against both Jamie and my black joker.

T1 Melissa had 2 focused shots into an Onryo without cover and a Drowned next to him. Jamie cheated a RJ on the first attack. I cheated a 13 and got weak damage. I BJ the second attack. 

T2 Melissa on 5 Wounds gets attacked by a Summoned Shikome. Jamie flips a 12 of tomes. I flip a BJ. I take 6 armor piercing damage and stone 1.

T3 Phiona tries to kill a 1 Wd Goryo and Bj the attack.

T5 Phiona tries bring it on a 5 Wd Drowned that would suffer 2 falling damage and be in charge range of grited Phiona. BJ

Meanwhile Jamie summons Goryo and Ikiryo from Whisper with no cards in hand (using 1SS) :D 

P.S. I know. Bad crew) x2

• Haha 2