Why don't Lampads have hard to wound?

Maniacal_cackle

Lampads are undead, is there a reason they don't have hard to wound? It would make a big difference to their survivability, and it IS our faction ability/the ability of undead. So why isn't it there? No space on the card?

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. But you know, we are Ressers, so... Beating the dead horse actually gets a response.

• Haha 1

Just now, ooshawn said:

Doing 15 seconds of research on this issue, I concur this seems to be a squishy model.

As some background info, Lampads are in the top 5 models that get complained about in the Ressers forum.

Poor defense, poor offense, decent to good utility. Not what you're looking for with an 8 stone model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Undead in general tend to have HtW. Definitly not all, but most. I think they don't have it due to their Demise ability. 

But let's be honest: Not every underperforming model in a complex game like Malifaux will be designed that way for good reasons. Sometimes the design process simply failed to produce a balanced model. It happens and it's not the end of the world. I get that Wyrd doesn't want to release a huge catalogue of errata'ed models. 

I would be happy though if Wyrd decided to push some crew models of Revenant (and Redchapell) a bit. My reason for not spending money on those crews is their limited playability tbh.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any undead that don't have hard to wound, but I'm sure there must be others. I'm curious, can you think of a few?

More:

• Flying Piglet
  • Stuffed Piglet
  • Brutal Emissary
  • Hollow Waif
  • Jack Daw
  • Ashigaru
  • Bete Noire
  • Corpse Candle
  • Little Gasser
  • Night Terror
  • Philip and the Nanny
  • Zombie Chihuahua
  • Izamu the Armor
  • Thanks 1

True but is Tara undead like resser undead, or undead like , immortal undead because of a tyrant. Maybe there are some physiological differences in her condition that make htw unthematic. I feel like malifaux is one of the few board games with some complexity and where they really try hard to bring the lore to the game. Just my opinion though. I just want the next campaign to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ooshawn said:

True but is Tara undead like resser undead, or undead like , immortal undead because of a tyrant. Maybe there are some physiological differences in her condition that make htw unthematic. I feel like malifaux is one of the few board games with some complexity and where they really try hard to bring the lore to the game. Just my opinion though. I just want the next campaign to happen.

Well she was killed and then raised from the dead by Karina, so I'd firmly put her in the undead resser category as her starting point for undeath. Arguably though her hole in the chest is thematically similar to hard to wound, in its an attack on her doing less damage than expected. 

• Like 1

I imagine the Lampads not as your typical zombie-ish undead but more like a poor soul trapped in Reva's funeral flames. So, them not having H2W is fitting to my picture of them; have a look at the artwork/models, their Demise, the Hovering Flame action, and their fluff (them being sentient flames) (even though it mentions them "riding" dead bodies).
But some defensive tech is direly needed. It could be something similar to Incorporeal. Maybe Flaming Body would be fitting. Combined with a Stat bump, of course (c'mon, Wyrd, 8 Stones for a model with Df4 and Stat5 attacks? Really?).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graf said:

I agree that Lampads look and feel more like ghost, not zombies. But if they gained Incorporeal, they would lose their Undead tag which means no corpse tokens for Reva from them. That's not ideal either.

There's nothing hard stopping Wyrd from having an incorporeal model be undead right?

They can just drop some ectoplasm or something.

4 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Would have to nerf something else, though.

Not sure if this was even needed if Lampads got Flaming Body as Burning on them already is a ressource. Outside of Draugr there is no exchanging Burning inbetween the crew.
With Burning Body the opponent would get an option of tactically draining Bruning from them (by dealing damage) and thus interfere with Reva's plan. I really like the idea as it would help removing some of the hand pressure from Reva's crew and shift it towards Burning as a ressource .

Also, compare the Draugr: they got something (a bit) similar with Blaze Of Glory (it's Def Tech as much a Off Tech) and even though they come with superior Df Stat and higher mobility they are considered more or less useless by a lot of competitive players.

Lampads as 8 Stones models with Flaming Body with no more changes still are mediocre in my book with Df4 and Attack Stats of 5. (For comparison: Fire Golem is a meager 2 points more than a Lampad)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the demise, keep the stat 5, give them reva's ability to reduce burning to add positives to duels. Keep at 8 stones, increase def to 5, and build in a tomb to breath of fire. I think that puts the model right in line with other 8 stone models without over tuning it. Or just make breath of fire stat 6, that would probably work too. 

If anything its probably still slightly under tuned, but at least I would take it once in awhile. 

• Like 1