Lucius - how do you guys play him?

Filox

So, I got this problem in Lucius that most of the time anything that can use positives or focus up is hammering the shit out me. With low stats across the keyword it's something I was expecting, although I can try to keep all those honkers alive (Orderly is actually pretty good model, sorry for flaming you buddy) and only one true mechanic in keyword (STAGGER & GARRRROTE!) with most minions being kind off underwhelming outside keyword in Lucius. 

So, how do you guys create your crews to mitigate most of the flaws in Lucius?

P.S. I find it surprising that Lucius only have 2 triggers on his main action (with one of them being bad). Pull Here or There, My Loyal Servant or Stay Awhile and Listen should be auto put on him, am I right? 🤣

Use Lawyers to stack focus+shielded on Agent 46 and the Pale Rider, both with Lead-Lined Coat. Copy the Rider's gun with 46 and go to town, switch to Melee if anything gets close. Lawyer's tome trigger on Obeys should take care of scheming and Lucius gives AP to 46 and Lawyers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LexLock said:

Use Lawyers to stack focus+shielded on Agent 46 and the Pale Rider, both with Lead-Lined Coat. Copy the Rider's gun with 46 and go to town, switch to Melee if anything gets close. Lawyer's tome trigger on Obeys should take care of scheming and Lucius gives AP to 46 and Lawyers.

I find Agent 46 being tech model which most of the time is not paying for himself 😕

My usual lists are:

New Lucius Mattheson Crew (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Lucius Mattheson
Totem(s):
  The Scribe
Hires:
  Guild Steward
  Pale Rider
  Guild Lawyer
  Phiona Gage
    Lead-Lined Coat
  Agent 46

Second LLC goes wherever you need it.

You can swap Phiona with Lone Marshal against summoners or for additional aggression.

Alan is actually really decent but I discovered he is entirely not needed in keyword. Try him with Lady J, lol.

Agent is very nice with extra AP. If you are not taking Agent why even bother with Lucius? The only other decent option is multimaster Lucius, but thats frown upon in western meta.

P.S.

Investigators I dont like at all. They can do a lot, but in the same time they are super restricted in what they do. Makes me cringe even before considering them. No.

Doppleganger is meh. Too expensive and squishy.

changelings are great, but completely not needed in GG1. Hope this will change in the future.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cedar said:

Being serious, I'd try him with Hunters for chasing down scheme runners, or with few Riflemen to deal with armored opponents.

The nice thing about Lucius is you can stack focus wherever you need it, including on Riflemen. Lucius and a pair of Changelings can give your Riflemen a nice stack of focus. At least one Lawyer is a must for shielded and card draw.

Investigators are only taken if the Scheme pool is made for them, because they cost a point too much, but can be game changing.

Lucius at the start of m2e had an ability, that for me personally, made him the strongest master in the game. It was errata'd into from what I can remember, being essentially non functional. That ability was something to the tune of, at the end of the turn, within 4 inches of me your scheme markers are mine. It made him literally impossible to beat in certain games. Believe me , I took full advantage of this , many , many times.  It seems investigators have a similar ability, I'm not sure if it functions the same, in that it prevents your opponents from scoring.  That ability immediately drew my eye, and the game is won through scheming so, perhaps direct your search there. I suspect that people trying to turn lucius's crew into a murder ball, are possibly barking up the wrong tree. It was my experience that a large portion of your crew will die. you just have to be ahead in points when the time is called. I suspect he will not be much fun to play in a race to turn five, versus someone playing a crew with positive flips and high damage. I would point out that his keyword has low damage. You will most likely not have any models left on the table come turn five, and your opponent will get full points for the turn.  that's just my opinion. by all means, enjoy him how you see fit. best of luck to you. 

• Agree 2

One thing I’ve found playing against Luci is that all of the card draw lets you much more reliably hit impactful triggers on enforcers. This has lead to guy in a barrel wrecking my scheme game while hiding in a corner till late or Serena yeet-ing guys in the NvB version. Might be some ground in there.

Second thing is stacking a second Neg flip on opponents attacks. Standing in a forest at the edge, conceal auras, distracted maybe. I don’t know Guild tech enough to know where those things can be found.

• Agree 1

Since I’m a NVB Lucius player I don’t really know his GUI tricks. I will try him soon like that: 

Lucius Guild Aggression  (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 1
Leader:
  Lucius Mattheson
Totem(s):
  The Scribe
Hires:
  Peacekeeper
  Agent 46
  Alan Reid
  Investigator
  Guild Lawyer
  False Witness
  Changeling

with entourage, and stand back... it has to be easy to move the peacekeeper up. Impassioned defense making it harder to damage it and witness handing out adversary to it makes it easier to obey it. Seems like quite some support for the little robot. Alan Reid is simply awesome when used to ask questions and coordinate attacks with him. The agent does what the agent does... simply be an additional threat for the opponent. Investigator should be kept in the back to deny schemes, draw a card and push here and there. 
I will use this list in a scheme pool with lots of Marker schemes like sabotage, spread, lym or if the opponent is invited to come to you...