Ressers in the Iron Scorpius tournament.

Maniacal_cackle

So next month's Vassal series is Iron Scorpius format (cannot use the same master more than once). The player pack can be found here.

What are people thinking of declaring for the tournament?

• Round one looks good for Reva, Seamus, kind of Molly, and I assume Von Schtook
  • Round two looks good for Kirai, Reva, Molly, Von Schtook, maybe Yan Lo, Seamus?
  • Round 3 is good for Reva, Molly, VS, and probably a few others
  • Round for looks good for Reva, Seamus, Von Schtook...

What'd I miss? Who else is good for the rounds? I'll certainly be declaring Molly and Reva as the crews I have the most expertise with and who match up with the pools well, but will need three crews I don't know very well to cover the rest. What's everyone else feeling confident about with these pools?

My problems with daw into rd 3:

1. Alot of concealing so youre going to waste so focusing to get around that. Melee is great but you want those upgrades. You could bring a grave digger to spread out focus t1 which may be helpful enough but I don't like taking non tormented models with him.

2. It's corner. Daws crew is inherently slow, even with the various pushes it can be difficult to get into position. Montessor is going to have a hard time getting anywhere.

The map just feels AP inefficient where you need to maximize every AP as much as possible with daw but I could likely be wrong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pergli said:

My problems with daw into rd 3:

1. Alot of concealing so youre going to waste so focusing to get around that. Melee is great but you want those upgrades. You could bring a grave digger to spread out focus t1 which may be helpful enough but I don't like taking non tormented models with him.

2. It's corner. Daws crew is inherently slow, even with the various pushes it can be difficult to get into position. Montessor is going to have a hard time getting anywhere.

The map just feels AP inefficient where you need to maximize every AP as much as possible with daw but I could likely be wrong.

That's a good point, I keep forgetting round 3 is corner when planning! Maybe I'll take Molly into it.

Well, I just registered:

• Molly
  • Seamus
  • Reva
  • Kirai
  • McMourning

The first three were autopicks since I know how to play them. Kirai and McMourning I've at least toyed with the idea of playing the crews a lot, so I kind of know the crews. And I've played both as second masters, so fingers crossed!

Feel like I can take all the pools with this team, and hoping I can take most opponents >.>

• Like 2

I'd probably swap one of those last two for Von Schtook :), he is just soooooo good. Especially into that final map, it'll be a tough game for your opponent. 

I'm going:

Von Schtook
Reva
Daw
Molly

My 5th doesn't really matter but I slid Yan Lo in there because it could make someone paranoid for the recover evidence pool. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pergli said:

I'd probably swap one of those last two for Von Schtook :), he is just soooooo good. Especially into that final map, it'll be a tough game for your opponent. 

I'm going:

Von Schtook
Reva
Daw
Molly

My 5th doesn't really matter but I slid Yan Lo in there because it could make someone paranoid for the recover evidence pool. 

Hahah, that's a good point, there's a lot of value just in making people paranoid about what you're up to!

Yeah, Von Schtook is crazy good, so really makes sense to use. I've been avoiding picking up another summoner IRL since they're probably not a good fit with my local meta, so I'm not very good with VS yet. McMourning I picked just because I'd like to get a bit more experience to contribute more to those conversations xD

I won't consider the good Prof a summoner. His summons are occasionally at best and if you get one of the summons through the game is very likely already decided, anyways. Compared to the crews you prioritized over him he is the most 'predictable', though, so I don't see much loss in not choosing him. 

• Like 2

Agree on the non summoner thing. Honestly, I think you should be getting one summon off a game regularly but if its two then the game is  most likely decided because its such a big point swing his way.

Unsure what you mean about him being the most predictable so you don't lose anything by not choosing him? Unless you mean your opponent's prediction is: "Well, Schtook is going to do Schtook things and I might as well concede before we begin" then maybe but then you're giving up a free win :). 

• Haha 2

Well, I guess I should say "bonkers powerful" instead of a summoner, then 😜

I think I have about an 80-90% winrate in casual play, so I've been focusing on crews that aren't quite top tier. Of course, when I purchased Reva she was the worst crew in the faction, and then by the time she shipped to New Zealand she was one of the best...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, I played Reva at the beginning of 3e because I wanted a more "fun" master that I could play into weaker players because Schtook was just not fun for anyone to play into. Took a long time but I got decent with her and then they decided to buff her and now she's #2 for me but that is heavily frowned upon as people seem to think Kirai deserves that spot. 

• Like 1

Well, I swapped in Von Schtook. I realised I didn't want to win 3 rounds and then not have any competitive masters left, so I should at least take the Series a bit seriously xD Now I can lose on my own merits rather than the masters I selected :D

On 12/28/2020 at 10:27 AM, Pergli said:

Yeah, I played Reva at the beginning of 3e because I wanted a more "fun" master that I could play into weaker players because Schtook was just not fun for anyone to play into. Took a long time but I got decent with her and then they decided to buff her and now she's #2 for me but that is heavily frowned upon as people seem to think Kirai deserves that spot. 

I think they're close enough that we can't really define best masters even for a particular pool, much less overall. But I'd agree Reva is definitely at the top somewhere. Alongside Kirai, Yan Lo, Von Schtook, and maybe a few others xD

On 1/2/2021 at 1:49 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

My first round (Standard Leylines) is against Neverborn (Titania, Dreamer, Zoraida, Pandora, Nekima).

So guess I'm not using Belles after all xD  Planted roots in Neverborn makes Lure pretty useless.

EDIT: Lol.... I almost took Dead Rider into Zoraida before I remembered her obey can use my Rider's tokens...

u still can spend them when she obeys u

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sagrit said:

But how? Rider can spend tokens only whendeclaring triggers, Obey works against Wp and Rider have only Df trigger. What am i missing?

That's a fair point! I'm not 100% sure how that would play out (does 'when declaring' refer to the step for declaring triggers, or when you're actually declaring one?) But I would lean towards you probably can't.

Round two should be fun! Looking forward to seeing what that pairing is next week.