Transmortis University Introduction Lecture

Graf

Great so far. My biggest issue with this crew is fitting very thing in! Do you hire both Vale and Anna? Once this happens the test of the crew is hard to squeeze in. My typical crew has been Vs and the assistant with whisper on VS, Vale, Anna , 2 undergrads and one of the students. How about you guys? I’ll add necropunks when I can depending on schemes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cranky Old Man said:

Great so far. My biggest issue with this crew is fitting very thing in! Do you hire both Vale and Anna? Once this happens the test of the crew is hard to squeeze in. My typical crew has been Vs and the assistant with whisper on VS, Vale, Anna , 2 undergrads and one of the students. How about you guys? I’ll add necropunks when I can depending on schemes.

That's a pretty solid VS list! You can switch out the student and/or an undergrad for anything depending on the pool.

8 hours ago, Graf said:

One of the few (low) heals in the crew but only for constructs, therefore limited to your undead models.

Just a small remark on this : Anna is construct too and so can get healed by the student of steel.

A small question : I'm not sure what you mean by this when talking about the Whisper upgrade on Schtook :

8 hours ago, Graf said:

Also you can use Administrative Review, if Schtook has suffered any damage. Thanks to the build-in crows and Positive Results trigger, he can do it without losing an action.

What is using administrative review has to do with schtook having suffered damage?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cranky Old Man said:

My essential core is Schtook, Vale +GST, 2 Undergrads. After that, it depends an the pool and opponent. One Necropunk is common, as at least one strat/scheme I take fits them.

I like Anna, but she gets cut the most. As soon as I need specific tech she doesn't offer, I often cannot afford her cost.

I maybe should add a "Transmortis general/ list building" section. 🤔

2 hours ago, Graf said:

@Schtook: Positive Results Heals 1. If Schtook has any upgrade, he'll gain fast and therefore the action, he just spend, back.

Hold on, what?

Are you saying using Admistrative Results in Schtook himself? If that's the case, you can't. First of all it's an attack, and models can't attack themselves. Second, a model can't take more than 3 actions during an activation due to Fast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

35 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

Hold on, what?

Are you saying using Admistrative Results in Schtook himself? If that's the case, you can't. First of all it's an attack, and models can't attack themselves. Second, a model can't take more than 3 actions during an activation due to Fast.

Oh well... I expected some stupid brainfart mistake to be there somewhere and lo and behold, there it is! Thank you guys for catching it! 😃👍 Edited. I did this only once, ages ago, and now I know again why never since then xD.

I didn't intended this guide to be the end of all wisdom, not even free from potential mistakes, so it's good you think it through. Motivating others to ponder and think for themselves is my real goal here and imho that's necessary to play a flexible crew like Transmortis well. Constructive criticism also helps me get better, so keep it coming! :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Graf said:

Oh well... I expected some stupid brainfart mistake to be there somewhere and lo and behold, there it is! Thank you guys for catching it! 😃👍 Edited. I did this only once, ages ago, and now I know again why never again since then xD.

I never intended this guide to be the end of all wisdom, not even free from potential mistakes, so it's good you think it through. Motivating others to ponder and think for themselves is my real goal here and imho that's necessary to play a flexible crew like Transmortis well.

No worries, everybody makes mistakes and you did a really good job writing the guide.

My standard list is as follows:

• Von Schtook + Research Assistant
  • Undergraduate
  • Anna
  • The Valedictorian
  • Carrion Emissary
  • Sloth
  • 7ss

I can change pieces depending on who I'm facing, of course. However, Sloth is usually too good not to bring him, healing 3 from 10" away without requiring a TN (Slow will be removed by Schtook) + giving Fast when needed and discouraging heals from the enemy, that's a nice pack.

Same for the Emissary, his coffins can really mess up with the enemy positioning and the zombie works like a charm for Anna's free action, which even makes you draw a card. Also, if at some point you don't need the Zombie, his aura is great to ensure a kill with Anna/Vale.

I tried The Whisper on Schtook, but I prefer to have the stones to dig for cards or help Valedictorian to survive. The crew usually generates enough card cycling to ensure I have the :crow for Schtook.

Also, Valedictorian's thread range is as follows (turn 1, always in a straight line):

• 4 Attacks at 14"
  • 3 Attacks at 21"
  • 2 Attacks at 28"

That's without taking into account the Shove Aside and On Your Heels triggers. The idea is Alpha strike as the last activation of turn 1 and kill someone to summon from it. If it happens, your opponent is in trouble, if it doesn't you'll have to see what happens at the beginning of the turn 2 and evaluate what you're going to do. It's a high risk - high reward play, that don't always work.

Rider and a Gravedigger are great for Transmortis. Gravedigger can heal most of your models, spreads focus, gives corpses to trade for cards and scheme markers and if you add the Rider, you'll end up with a devastating turn 3 full of Mindless Zombies, which are not going to kill anything, but annoy your opponent's plans just by being in the middle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice write up - thank you!

Someone else pointed out to me that the Student of Sinew's Keeping the Peace is often most useful for that extra attack. For a 4+ Rams, a suit not much needed in the crew, he gets a free attack. It can be hard to use that bonus action instead of Lecture Notes, but with their good damage tracks it can sometimes mean another dead model. And if you have a high Crow you have decide between Lecture Notes with 3dmg or a Command Corpse. Command Corpse gets all the attention, but it can be very card dependent. 

• Agree 1

To be honest i'm not so good with Von Schtook's crew yet... But i must say that Sloth is too good to avoid. It's just fit's in every playstile. You want an Alpha strike with Vale and Undergraduates? Sloth will give those minions Fast, so it's 4 attacks after By Your Side. You want to be supportive and more secured? Sloth will give you 3Wd heal without card flips. You want to abuse your opponent with auras? Well, you already have Von Shctook's "deny-enemy-upgrades" aura, Anna's "no-place-here" and "stop-targeting-your-friends". Wanna more? OK - Sloth will give you "think-twice-before-heal" :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShinChan said:

[...] I tried The Whisper on Schtook, but I prefer to have the stones to dig for cards or help Valedictorian to survive. The crew usually generates enough card cycling to ensure I have the :crow for Schtook.

Also, Valedictorian's thread range is as follows (turn 1, always in a straight line):

• 4 Attacks at 14"
  • 3 Attacks at 21"
  • 2 Attacks at 28"

[...] It's a high risk - high reward play, that don't always work.

If I don't have points left, I won't take Whisper as well. Unless it cuts to deeply into my SS (6 is minimim for me), it's usually worth it though, imho. But both options are valid. 

Yeah, this high risk is what promted me to write this guide in the first place. In my opinion the reward potential often leads to bad decisions, especially for new players. That's why a good portion of the guide is dedicated to analyze and mitigate the risk of loosing the crew's (non-master) cornerstone already in turn 1-2.

@Sagrit Sloth definitly is on my "want to try" list, but buying a whole crew for only one model is a hard sell as long as my Ressers shopping list still has other option on it... Maybe I get lucky and enough of our new players choose different factions and are willing to split the box. I wish we also had a shop, which offers single models, in Europe... 

The aura is exactly what I wonder about the most... Does it actually do much? It needs Sin Tokens with only Sloth being able to give it to them on a rather limited range. Even more so when combined with the Carrion, who also can stop healing? 

20 hours ago, Graf said:

The aura is exactly what I wonder about the most... Does it actually do much? It needs Sin Tokens with only Sloth being able to give it to them on a rather limited range. Even more so when combined with the Carrion, who also can stop healing? 

Well it not "stop" healing, it makes opponent think more careful about placing and healing. This days it's a common thing to see some beater tanking you because of self heal (Regen, Jaggernaut) and some extra heal from friendly models (Sun Quiang, Spit Hog e.t.c , you know what i mean). If Sloth is near you gave Sin tokens for passive heal and after that your opponent just cant heal beater with a big heal. That's it, and you done nothing for that.

So you don't hire Sloth for that Aura, you do it for his Bonus Action, his ability to give Fast to all students, punks, undergrad's and Vale and for his ability to give Slow to opponent. Aura is just a cherry on top of the pie :) 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sagrit said:

you don't hire Sloth for that Aura, you do it for his Bonus Action, his ability to give Fast to all students, punks, undergrad's and Vale and for his ability to give Slow to opponent. Aura is just a cherry on top of the pie :)

With this, I can fully go along 👍 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Graf said:

@Sagrit Sloth definitly is on my "want to try" list, but buying a whole crew for only one model is a hard sell as long as my Ressers shopping list still has other option on it... Maybe I get lucky and enough of our new players choose different factions and are willing to split the box. I wish we also had a shop, which offers single models, in Europe... 

At some point I really need to sculpt a sloth (animal) by hand to use as my sloth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great guide, It'll be handy to know how to play versus him :)2 particular good points I liked are the threat one and the alpha strike one.

Having a loaded alpha striker creates a huge pressure in the other player and knowing how to exploit that makes a difference.

Also alpha striking (specially the first turn) is effective but also requires knowing exactly what you are doing because it'll put your model in a very big risk; so an alpha strike needs to be well prepared and deal damage or it will put the rusher behind. Plus not going all in and having an out strategy is very good; shove aside for running away is something I don't see often suggested and it works great in my experience, specially combined with a model able to further rescue the alpha striker like command corpse in your case or a lure. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Cranky Old Man said:

So now how do we counter him if playing against him? I’m thinking pick off the chaff try to get Vale into something tempting and then counter punch her. What are some matchups that The Professor doesn’t like?

Molly has felt pretty good against him.

Activation control means automatic protection against alpha strikes, and her serene countenance and Lethes caress are real obstacles too. And of course 2-9 irreducible damage from her makes them play around hand size and positioning.

Throw in access to a variety of elite models that can do a pretty decent job against armor one (Archie can do 6 damage an activation for example) and great scheming and denial... It has felt solid so far!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cranky Old Man said:

So now how do we counter him if playing against him? I’m thinking pick off the chaff try to get Vale into something tempting and then counter punch her. What are some matchups that The Professor doesn’t like?

I'll give some general tipps, you can make their (un)life hard with several soft counters and a fitting playstile. You'll have to pick for yourself, what you can do with this.

Look closely at their list and what they are activating early on. Transmortis has a bunch of different options, as layed out before, but they can't do everything at the same time. For example, if they have 2-3 Undergrads, but don't activate them during the first half of the turn, they're probably looking for a teleporting alpha strike. Bait them with something unimportant. But if they use their Undergrads to push their slow/supportive elements forward, they'll have only Valedictorian available to go in. If they don't have retrieval tech, save a high card to cheat first activation next turn.

Provoke all those mistakes I've mentioned and take out their beaters (Vale + eventual versatiles). Bait them with 1-2 models a bit to far out, so Transmortis can reach them. Ideally something that's quick enough and positioned to crash into the slower parts, if they don't deal with them.

You can copy them with cheating in low cards, so you don't unnecessarily trigger their card draw. Transmortis doesn't have any hand destruction, so you don't have to worry about that. This assumes you don't need them yourself.

Spacing. There is a sweet spot between spreading out and bubbling up, which lets you cover your crew reasonable well, without being to much of a blast target. Let faster models cover slower models, don't bunch all your Mv4 models in one place. Crews with at least an average mobility and maybe a movement trick here or there can do that. Of course, it also depends on the board, how easy or difficult this will be.

Soulstones. Masters and Henchmen are hard to deal with because of damage reduction through stones. Tank weak damage, reduce moderate and severe. Soulstone Cache is for Arcanists therefore even more a mandatory upgrade. Anything that stops their series of (melee) attacks, like Butterfly Jump or Regret, lets you live much safer.

If the pool is heavy on scheme markers, you need good scheme marker-hate. You might sprinkle a bit of corpse hate in, if your crew gives those (you can't avoid Transmortis switching between corpses/scrap as it suits their needs), but going for schemes directly is more effectiv imho.

Armor, if present throughout your crew (!), is still quite bothersome for Transmortis, as it requires them to put an additional debuff layer on you before they can go in safely. Look out where Student of Steel can reach with their debuff, this will give you a good guidance where they will pick their targets.

Precise, or at least ignoring HtW, can serve you well in getting rid of their key models as soon as you catch them.

Apply Stunned on their beaters as soon as Schtook has activated. Transmortis usually actives him before them and Transmortis hates being denied their triggers.

Generally speaking, I tend to have more trouble with very kill oriented crews and pools. As an allround crew, they can do many different things and/or change gears quickly, but there usually is an upper limit in each direction, which is surpassed by specialized crews. I think this is more true against kill-crews than scheme-crews.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2