Cornelius Basse (Frontier Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

The second of our cross-faction Masters, the stoic lawman hasn't inspired much passion in his first home, The Guild. Will he and his band of survivalists, animals, and surprisingly prolific bear traps find a more enthusiastic home among Explorer's Society players?

MASTER

Cornelius Basse

Cornelius Basse, Badlands Sheriff

HENCHMAN

Johnathan Reichart

ENFORCERS

Bernadette Basse

Paul Crockett

Pearl Musgrove

Sand Worm

MINIONS

Austringer x2 [Upgrade: Skybound Ally]

Clockwork Trap x8

Frontiersman x3

Pathfinder x2

Rough Riders x2

Trained Raptor x3

VIDEOS:

(Mini) Keyword Review by Whut

COLLECTING

Core Box: Basse, Bernadette, Reichart, and 3 Frontiersmen

"Trappers" Box:  Pathfinder and 4 Clockwork Traps

"From Above" Box: 2 Austringers and 3 Trained Raptors

"Sand Worm" Box: Sand Worm

"Fool's Gold" Box: 2 Rough Riders

???: Basse (Badlands Sheriff) and Pearl

Paul Crockett is presently the most complicated Frontier keyworded model to obtain. You can either purchase his 2e solo release or find him in the "Primal Fury" box alongside three Arcanists models that cannot be run in Guild or Explorer's Society.

I think Basse is going to have an interesting role to fill in ES. With the addition of Rough Riders his crew is super mobile, and with Home on the Range they even start farther up field. 

The crew had little mobility tricks before, of course, such as Follow My Path, but they didn't really do enough on their own. Now they're enabling a much more fluid gunline and getting Reichart wherever he wants to be. 

Being a gunline also means they put out good ranged damage, with everyone having a decent gun. They don't compete with, say, Perdita or Sonnia in Guild, but here in ES I hope they'll have their own niche. 

I'm particularly excited about the idea of firing on enemies right from the get-go, and flanking anyone who tries to hide. I feel like the Frontier crew is going to be too fluid to be lumped in with other gunlines like Dashel, Freikorps, or Sonnia. Maybe they're the gun-lasso? Circle 'em up then tighten the noose! 

6 minutes ago, J4bberw0ck said:

I think Basse is going to have an interesting role to fill in ES. With the addition of Rough Riders his crew is super mobile, and with Home on the Range they even start farther up field. 

I don't know the faction that well, but seems like Basse is going to be a super strong contender for Corner deployment.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, mbowsher76 said:

Just getting back in for 3E. If I play a Exporer's Society Master like Basse, can I use Frontier keyword models from any faction at no additional cost?

Yep!! As long as they have his keyword you can hire them at no additional cost (regardless of what faction they’re coming from). 

Ok, now that the Sand Worm is revealed, I’m thinking Basse is gonna be really interesting. It adds a new wrinkle for enemies to consider, and it makes your dust clouds a potential threat, rather than purely defensive. Icing on the cake is it’s a beast, so it synergizes with Paul Crockett!

I think it’ll take some getting used to to maximize its potential, as it is quite vulnerable once its unburied, but let’s not forget that there’s now a decent amount of healing in a Frontier crew to keep it in the fight. I can’t wait to get some table time with baby Shai-Hulud.

On 9/9/2020 at 12:51 PM, Joooohan said:

Shameless plug, but

By all means. This is a good time for me to say that I don't see these threads as the skeletons of (presently four, potentially eight) tacticas. I have major doubts about my skill level, time, or even interest in stamping my face on the faction that way. It's just that as we wade through card previews and the faction's release draws near I saw value in organized, easy-to-jump-into threads for each of the Keywords for players new and old. So go ahead and post your batreps, playtesting, theoryfaux, or even just gush about how much you love the mechanics/aesthetics. These aren't my private fiefdoms, so go nuts.

We're all braving uncharted territory here together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 4:43 AM, HomelessOne said:

In the interest of trying to spark some discussion for poor Basse. Would you take a Hopeful Prospect with the intent of trying to replace Rough Riders dying later in the game?

I personally don't like that sort of thing (what if they kill the prospect first?)

Although I'm a bit wacky. The first crew I want to try with Frontier is Paul Crockett plus ES beasts.

29 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Are there any cool special edition sculpts of Basse?

All I want from the core box is him + totem, so may go the special edition route if there is something cool.

Yeah sadly who knows when / if we'll get a fun limited sculp of him outside his starter box.  I was debating cobbling together a fun proxy for him (love bernedette, but not crazy about Basse) from some wild west exodus stuff as that looks pretty close to him, but maybe I'll just stick to the classic starter box.

I'd send you the spare basse I have from when I bought a second box so I could clandestinely paint him for a Xmas gift.... but shipping from the US is probably more than hes worth...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, muraki said:

I'd send you the spare basse I have from when I bought a second box so I could clandestinely paint him for a Xmas gift.... but shipping from the US is probably more than hes worth...

Haha, yeah, shipping to NZ with Covid is nuts right now.

It might settle after Christmas, so I would be happy to buy from you then!

On 12/6/2020 at 6:11 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

I personally don't like that sort of thing (what if they kill the prospect first?)

Then that's likely at least 3AP (or two AP from a beater*) that's been spent on killing a 4SS model, rather than on things that might otherwise matter.

So I'd consider that an upside.

* Yeah, there are a few models that can delete a 4W H2K model with 1AP (Levi is the first that comes to mind), but at usually requires other resourses (Channel/Focus, and a Severe card). Again, if they're spending that in a Prospect rather than something that has actual (not potential) utility, I'm loving it.

• Like 1