Hooded Rider

Regelridderen

I've tried him a few times - I think he is solid, in that he is a very mobile model with good damage. His attack is the best for raw damage of all the Riders, and the ability to reliably drop 3 or 4 damage blasts can be brutal against clustered enemies if you can set up the right positioning. However, if the enemy isn't clustered, his attack trigger is basically useless, while the other Riders can get great effect from card draw, conditions, forced movement.

I also think the others have far better Revel abilities than he does - I've yet to get any use from the ability outside of the top end trigger. Which can certainly be very strong, but I don't think it is as devastating as the automatic damage and conditions that the Dead Rider and Pale Rider can give out. Mech Rider doesn't bring as much damage, but can really impact schemes - the ability to drop a scheme marker from 20" away, or the ability to reactivate a key model late game, can be huge. And all three of them have much stronger benefits from the basic ability itself.

So overall, I think there is a reasonable balance comparing him to the other riders - he has a better attack up front, they have better bonuses everywhere else. The main issue is that as a result, they all feel pretty unique within their faction, whereas the Hooded Rider is just a big, fast beatstick, in a faction that has several of those. I'll likely still take him on occasion, but don't think there is nearly as much incentive compared to some of the other Riders.

• Like 3

Basicaly what they covered, the other riders have more tricks and powerful pulses; this one have a good mele attack.

It's solid, and one of the few models in the faction with an easy :+flip to damage flips, so nice to have versus Res and its hard to wound. Very good with Titania as it is unimpeded and may help them to move around (that crew is slooow). Nothing too fancy, but get the job done.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Myth said:

I also think the others have far better Revel abilities than he does - I've yet to get any use from the ability outside of the top end trigger. Which can certainly be very strong, but I don't think it is as devastating as the automatic damage and conditions that the Dead Rider and Pale Rider can give out. Mech Rider doesn't bring as much damage, but can really impact schemes - the ability to drop a scheme marker from 20" away, or the ability to reactivate a key model late game, can be huge. And all three of them have much stronger benefits from the basic ability itself.

So overall, I think there is a reasonable balance comparing him to the other riders - he has a better attack up front, they have better bonuses everywhere else. The main issue is that as a result, they all feel pretty unique within their faction, whereas the Hooded Rider is just a big, fast beatstick, in a faction that has several of those. I'll likely still take him on occasion, but don't think there is nearly as much incentive compared to some of the other Riders.

RE: Revel ability - I've managed to pull off the 5 mask ability once - it was really cool, but it was kind of a "magic Christmasland" scenario. I managed to hit 4 models, and place HR in melee engagement range with the opponents master (Wong, in this case) with both AP remaining. I've mostly used the Chasing Fate masks as psuedo-armor.  Don't sleep on being able to see a part of your opponents control hand  part of the Revel action though - its a really powerful ability. 

55 minutes ago, msgfree said:

RE: Revel ability - I've managed to pull off the 5 mask ability once - it was really cool, but it was kind of a "magic Christmasland" scenario. I managed to hit 4 models, and place HR in melee engagement range with the opponents master (Wong, in this case) with both AP remaining. I've mostly used the Chasing Fate masks as psuedo-armor.  Don't sleep on being able to see a part of your opponents control hand  part of the Revel action though - its a really powerful ability. 

Is it really that hard to pull off? If you avoid combat the first two turns, you can revel with five masks turns 3/4/5, or do a mix of revel masks and defensive masks.

The part about seeing enemy control hands is a great point.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Is it really that hard to pull off? If you avoid combat the first two turns, you can revel with five masks turns 3/4/5, or do a mix of revel masks and defensive masks.

The part about seeing enemy control hands is a great point.

It’s not that it is hard to pull off, what’s hard is getting more than a two models with the attack. I have zero analysis to back this up, but I just feel like I need to hit at least 3 models to justify burning 5 masks. That’s probably a incorrect assumption, but now I’m going to experiment with it more.

While his bonus action isn't as powerful as his equivalents, his raw attack power being pretty good means that he can just Ride With Me around beating things, and saving all those masks for damage reduction without feeling like he's giving up a lot. He's also one of our two Ruthless models in faction, which is really the unique thing he brings to the table in a faction with plenty of beaters, honestly. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

He can move 19" a turn on his own, he hits like a truck, and his defensive trigger, along with Hard to Wound, make him super resilient. Your opponent has to devote a turn's worth of actions to really get him down, and there are times where he's worth losing in the grand scheme of the game. If you bring any kind of healing, he becomes so much more annoying for your opponent.

And as Kharnage mentioned, the Ruthless is great to have, as is Unimpeded. He's a very solid utility knife, one that is very sharp.

One note: I have never run him with upgrades, but Inhuman Reflexes is quite nice on him. I just cringe at 13 stones for a model, because at that point I'm only a couple stones away from another master.

This is true of all Riders, but double with Hoody because his kit incentivises going deep: Beware of Stunned!

When Stunned he can't use his trigger for damage reduction, so he can go from unkillable to a few min-3 smacks from death very quickly if you forget about a Stunned source.

17 hours ago, Kharnage said:

While his bonus action isn't as powerful as his equivalents, his raw attack power being pretty good means that he can just Ride With Me around beating things, and saving all those masks for damage reduction without feeling like he's giving up a lot. He's also one of our two Ruthless models in faction, which is really the unique thing he brings to the table in a faction with plenty of beaters, honestly. 

I think he can really make a real mess when positioned correctly, attacking every model in 6:new-Pulse: on Moonlit Charge trigger (:mask:mask:mask:mask:mask required) and placing in base contact with last target, and that's his bonus action only. If he didn't take Charge action before, each of these swings have :+flip to damage flip. It definitely won't make you any friends - but can be really effective, especially with right scheme pool/ against crews that tend to keep grouped.

He's not cheap though, but I wouldn't say that 11 stones is too much to pay for him.

38 minutes ago, CzaszkaA said:

I think he can really make a real mess when positioned correctly, attacking every model in 6:new-Pulse: on Moonlit Charge trigger (:mask:mask:mask:mask:mask required) and placing in base contact with last target, and that's his bonus action only. If he didn't take Charge action before, each of these swings have :+flip to damage flip. It definitely won't make you any friends - but can be really effective, especially with right scheme pool/ against crews that tend to keep grouped.

It's good, but It's not close to the Pale rider devastation: 2/3/4 with no possible defensive flip, irreductible damage; plus slow, burning+1 and heal 1 or 2 to allied models. It isn't hard to understand why this guy is in every Guild list...

The death rider one is probably simmilar to this one: no defensive flip 2/3/4 ignoring H2K and Injured+1, it deals less damage, but it's more reliable than having to flip to hit.

The mechanical rider is more utility focused than the other riders, but that doesn't mean it's less useful, it's just different and harder to compare. She can give herslef a double activation becoming a monster scheming and the innovation trigger in some crews could be very powerful.

In the Christmasland scenario of several low df models near of each other, the hooded positioned very close to them (to fulfil the Wide Swing 2'' requisite) and getting the Wide Swing triggers and moderate/severe in most attacks the damage potential is huge... but in how many games that is going to happen?

Edit: Not even in that case, the attacks are from a trigger, so they cannot declare triggers.

Titania, Nekima (for a faster rush) and Zoraida stands out imo, but any of them may use him... Ride with me plus a beefy heavy hitter is a nice package.

Lucius with Guild lawyers could also make a good use of him with their chain of command play (plus, not a bad attack to mimic when already engaged)

• 2 weeks later...

I like Hoody with Pandora a lot because ride with me lets him get Candy up the board extremely quickly, and it also provides a lot of reactive mobility to a fairly slow crew with Pandora.  The only issue I've run into with him is he has to not die... which is not a given since hard to wound only keeps the damage at a minimum, not at nothing.

Still... having him and an unactivated Candy in the middle of the enemy's crew at the start of Turn 2 is pretty hilarious (in the good way this time).

Edit:  I also like him vs crews with lots of cheap models (i.e. summons), like sandeep or any kind of rezzer (asami notwithstanding), because you can guarantee the wide swing trigger with your Fate Tokens, and that's a 1/3/4 hit on anything around (I don't like him vs gremlins because they're too shooty to keep him alive long).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nagi21 said:

I like Hoody with Pandora a lot because ride with me lets him get Candy up the board extremely quickly, and it also provides a lot of reactive mobility to a fairly slow crew with Pandora.  The only issue I've run into with him is he has to not die... which is not a given since hard to wound only keeps the damage at a minimum, not at nothing.

Still... having him and an unactivated Candy in the middle of the enemy's crew at the start of Turn 2 is pretty hilarious (in the good way this time).

I've now had the chance to try out the rider w. pandora. I liked having a DF6WP7 model in a crew, that are mostly 5's. Along with the reliability of ruthless and the power of a 2" claw attack. He is a powerful beater in a crew, that mostly pings the opposition away.

To me it's always a choice between Teddy/Rider/Hinamatsu/Carver. Carver and Teddy has the card draining synergy of Terror, while Hinamatsu and Rider are faster and more defensive, meaning you won't need to chuck as many cards/stones to protect them. 

8 hours ago, Nagi21 said:

Eh rider isn't really more defensive, but he allows you to put other models where they need to be.

I’d say, having a DF 6 and a WP 7 is pretty significant, as you’ll rarely be at a disadvantage in a duel, and in most instances, you’ll be at an advantage. In that way, he is good at draining your opponents hand - which is overall the best defensive ability. Add to this a 2” engagement range, a high MV and a built-in push, makes the rider really hard to pin/put down.