Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Franchute

Here are my bonus models: The Forgotten Marshal and a Gaki. I did get them done in time for Adepticon, just ran out of time to upload the pics. 11 more soul stones to the pile for a total of 37.

large.348622391_ForgottenMarshal-Gaki.JP

Adepticon was a great time - as always!
I played in the team tourney on Fri and Story encounter tourney on Sun. This was the fifth year of Team Tourney, and my partner and I (we have been teamed up the past 5 years) agreed that this is was our favorite year of team tourneys to date.

The highlight for me was my hired punk zombie in turn four. One member of the opposing side asked "Who hires a punk zombie?" And then this happens:
Turn 1: Two Kentaurois moved up, Sybelle and Punk Zombie using Zombie Steeds to ride along.
Howard pitches imbued for fast, double walk and charge the Kentauroi that ferried the Punk Zombie (the Kentauroi survived at 1 wound).
Punk Flurries. 
Sybelle Calls Belle to teleport Molly.
Molly walks, gives Reactivate to Howard Punk Zombie, and Whispers a secret to Howard. Accomplice into Punk Zombie.
Punk flurries again, killing Howard.
Turn 2: Molly uses her 0 to have the Punk Take a walk to engage an Ox Mage. Accoomplice into Punk Zombie.
Punk Zombie flurries, killing the Mage. 
Turn 3: Molly uses her 0 to have the Punk Take a walk to engage Ironsides. Accoomplice into Punk Zombie.
Flurry onto Ironsides, bringing her down to Hard to Kill (Elim Leadership target. She was eventually killed by the Carrion Emissary for full VP)

That Punk Zombie did some work! 

Now that Adepticon has come and gone, I no longer have a specific event to drive what to paint... I wonder what April will hold?

• Like 6

Tuco, Barbaros & Co.

MPLD.jpg

I considered completed my plainting duty on Tuco and Barbaros. Later I have to base the two minis and take some decent pics in the photo box. I feel getting some good pic of Tuco will be a problem because of his face looking down under a large hat.

Other WIP minis on the pics are from Rumble Slamm range. I dedicated part of my time and efforts to these minis this month. Hope my pledge achivements did not suffered so much because of it.

• Like 2

@Viruk I am very sorry for what happened to your daughter. I hope she is much better now. Mine was hospitalized for a week in December too. I confirm it is not a nice experience...

I think we can count your display board as any terrain piece. That would be 5 soulstones. That would put you at 27ss.

• Like 1

Greetings, fellow painters!

Here's my March submission. I have completed 10 SS of miniatures (Asura Roten (8 Points) and a mindless zombie (2 points)). Yes, technically, three zombies, but the ones on Asura's base have been rebased, and they don't count.

Sorry for the imgur links, I can't upload due to image size restrictions. I can't imagine why.

Mindless Zombie 1. There's a slightly annoying seam on the back of this miniature, which I should have filled.

Mindless Zombie 2. A mold line on the head, which I missed.

Mindless Zombie 3. The shadow on the back of the pants needs to be blended in a lot more. Looks like I missed that part. I'm not sure if the green stripe on the pants works. That might need to be changed.

Asura Roten. I'm happy with this miniature, overall. The shadows on the flesh could be a little deeper, I guess. Painting dark skin well is difficult, as there's not as much contrast to play with.

The base of Asura was a bit of work, and I'm overall fairly pleased with it, but the cast on the cauldron could be better, and the ivy / moss is a little garish in the photographs. It's a bit more subdued in reality. Some glazes on the stonework on all the miniatures might make them a little less cartoonish. I think I'll glaze some more living-flesh tones into the greens - it's a little too green for me, in retrospect.

Next month, it'll be an adventure into this duplicitous Arcanists!

@misterfinn: I like the subtle OSL on your coffin. Very nicely done.

@Franchute: Nice aging metalwork on the legs of the necropunk.

@Burnin' Coal: As others have said, that's some extraordinary and wonderful glazing work on the Neverborn wings. I'll be putting those in the inspiration folder, for sure.

@Shock & Awe: Barbaros' wings are beautiful. That almost pearlescent purple / blue is really nice.

@Aa7: I'll be attacking Frozen Hearts next month - I'll be stealing your basing ideas, I think!

@Piccio: Love the fabric on the back. Nice shadows.

@Amdor: Love the fleshtones on Mouse. Very nice detailed work.

@Viruk: Individually lovely models, but I'm most impressed with the cohesion of such a disparate group. The green/blue base of the Quellers is really easy on the eye. I actually paint because it takes my mind off my patients. I hope your little girl is better soon.

I've had a good month, folks. I'm keen to see what else gets painted, and best of luck for next month's painting!

Caedrus.

• Like 5

Well, I've managed to knock out the last of my pledge for this month. I really tried to let my imagination run a bit wild with him, and I love some of it and I'm not totally sold on other bits. Still, overall, I'll have fun punching stuff with him, so there's that! I learned a few things though, so it's all good. 

With Alt. Bishop, my stone total for the month is 39SS.  Now to get my next round built and primed for April! 

large.Bishop.jpg.e402f864678d9bd920c179d

• Like 8

@Caedrus thank you for the feedback, and i'm glad you like it!  I love your bright greens and blues.  It has kind of natural glow effect that looks awesome.  

@Viruk man, I am constantly blown away by how beautiful your models are.  The blue on the Quellers, the color scheme of Grootslang, I could go on. Amazing work. I hope I get half that good 200+ models from now! I'm sorry to hear about your little one. I've got a little girl myself, and I know how your heart breaks when they are hurting. Glad to hear she's doing better.

@Purple Mist- I like the dark blue on Barbaros

@MunkyMuddFace - That Gaki is terrifying. I like the black on it. I'm terrible at painting black.

@Amdor - I like your subdued colors. Mouse's face is really nice. Your models are very clean. 

@Piccio - I like the spotting and highlighting on your Bro.

• Like 1

@Burnin' Coal - Those wings. Man. Just amazing. I REALLY like your Titania as well. Just so clean. I just got my Stitched in the mail, so I'm gonna be "attempting" to use your color scheme on them.  It won't be as good because I have no idea how to glaze, but I'll do my best ;)

@prof_bycid I really like his mouth and the rib cage. Nice work! 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Franchute said:

Didn't you mean punk zombie? I'm happy you enjoyed the tournament. How did your team do?

Thanks for pointing that out, I have fixed it.

Our team went 2-1-1, playing horror Molly and Reva. We won Best in Show for Ressurs having the best record of the Ressur teams (at least two others).

Round 1 (Interception) we faced a very nasty Raspy Colette combo. Near the end of turn 3: Raspy activated and shot 3+ times (overpower trigger), Colette Prompts Raspy for another shot, buying the reactivate trigger. Raspy activates again, shoot 3+ times again. We were more-or-less tabled at that point, lost 3 - 8.

Round 2 (Public Execution) we faced Raspy Sandeep. We were able to mitigate the Raspy threat since she was so fresh in our minds from the previous game. This game was a super fun game of cat and mouse where we had mirror scheme selections - Elim Leadership (Raspy/Molly) and Undercover Entourage (Reva/The Captain). We tied this one 5-5.
My favorite moment here was when a half dead Molly was engaged with Banasuva and they have declared for Elim. 
My partner: "You gotta get her outta there! Banasuva can't cheat (due to his upgrade). Just take walks, you'll win the disengaging strikes."
Me: "Okay." Then proceeds to do none of that. Molly focuses and hits non-cheating Banasuva with a Revalation. I hit severe on the damge track (I don't remember if I cheated or if it was a natural flip). Then, summon a 1 wound Kentauroi near Molly and Banasuva. Molly 0s to make the Kentauroi take a walk, Molly Zombie steeds. Accomplice into the Kentauroi for another walk and steed, and gets far away from the thick of the battle.

Round 3 (Guard the Stash) we faced Dreamer and Titania. These were pretty new players, but fun opponents. we won 6-0.

Round 4 (Headhunter) we faced Colette and Ironsides (so many Arcanists!) this was a bloody game - corpse and head markers everywhere! Super fun game. Along with the heroics of the Punk Zombie, the Carrion Emissary was our other hero in this game. Carrion was our Sucker for Take One for the Team. He was mostly receiving attacks from Oxfordian Mages and Ironsides. He got down to Hard to Kill near the beginning of Turn 3, but was able to get the kill shot on Ironsides and hang on until Turn 4. In Turn 4, an attack by Colette was the only model eligible that would get us the full vp for Take One for the Team. After doing some prompts, Colette decided to take a pot shot at Carrion with her Sabre Trick 0. She hits! - we internally cheer! She flips Black Joker on damage! We fake cheer while we internally sob. Carrion eventually went down to an Ox Mage for 2 VP.

Good stuff! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joachim said:

I'm especially pleased with how the book turned out. I'm also happy with the hair color, as it is a bit different from what I usually do. I'll still clean up the face and the golden line on the cloak as I now noticed it was a bit sloppy. 

The hair looks very natural and the book looks amazing! I disagree that the golden line on the cloak looks "sloppy". I think it's a great detail.

@Viruk - They said "Bad things happen" in Malifaux, but even worst things happen in real life. Anyway I'm happy to undestand problems are going to be resolved and I wish you and your family all best things  for the future. Now, you wrote you can calm down and relax painting. I know painting is a matter of concentration and firm hand, expecially at masterclass painting levels like yours, so I admire your strong personality because I know it's not easy to leave troubles behind to go after hobby activities. I'm impressed by your diorama but already had time to apreciate your single minis when you introduced them, so I'm not surprised with your victory in Polish Malifaux competition. Congrats for your achivement in montly painting challenge; some more picts of "The Jury" could be of interest for a comparison with @Joachim's one.

• Like 1

@Joachim - I'm impressed by the detail of the text in the book..... well, perhaps I'm even more impressed by the cloak that looks like moving in the wind or may be by my attention is captured by the hairs that look so natural and realistic. It's a great mini, anyway.

@Franchute - I'm sorry for you, but I candidate myself for the worst picture. :Rat:

@Shock & Awe - Like your Bishop. Nice mini but I do not like the jellow border of the base; it's a personal idea but I belive bases lips must be black.

@Amdor - Nice minis. Looks like you are taking advantage from an improved shooting technique.

Just going to squeeze these in before the month ends!
Here are two Lightning Bugs (I realised when I looked in my cases that I had already painted one) and Wong, and a bonus McMourning I painted.
Since my old iPhone broke and I have my gfs old samsung phone my photos have become worse (this was probably after I started the challenge but, whatever, it makes taking not-blurry-or-terrible photos rather difficult).
So this should be Joss (10)+ Howard Langston (12) (both alts) + Wong (15) + 2x Lightning Bugs (10) + McMourning (15) = 62ss. The number is slightly disigenuous as I finished the first two models on March 1st as I couldn't quite do them in time for February and I am not happy with the Lightning Bugs but I didn't really enjoy painting them.
This month with McMourning (super fun) reinforced the idea in my mind that painting metal minis is way more fun than plastic. Personal preference.
blue-bug.jpg

green-bug.jpg

( @Kogan Style said a gremlin in green robes, green on green couldn't  be done. And I have not proved him wrong. But I wanted to have the bugs in the colours of Huey Dewey and Louie...

wong.jpg

Washed out!

bugs.jpg

Still washed out!

mcm.jpg

Blood for the Blood God (or whatever it's called) is so much fun it would have had my 14 year-old self messing his pants.

Sorry for the ginormo-pictures, if anyone can help me NOT do this, that would be appreciated...
Haven't had a proper look at all the month's contributions yet, but shout out to @Viruk for incredible work, and I hope your daughter is OK now!

• Like 5

Thanks guys for the kind words. My little daughter is doing slightly better, she is stable and making slow progress after the surgery. Things are definitely looking up there.

@Purple Mist - I've got just this one more shot of my Jury 

jury_02.jpg

@Franchute - great work on the Gamin, nice, gritty look on their skin and neat bases to finish things off.

• Like 5